PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo! That GAS fairy doesn't quit!

thearabianmage
December 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I have suppressed my Guitar Acquisition Syndrome for the time being with an Aria Pro II TA-61. It's an old ES-335 copy (been wanting one like that for a while now. . .)

It's about 10 years old and, considering, is in decent knick. It's got a maple body and neck all of which are triple-bound (with black and white plastic), the obligatory dedicated volume/tone per pup and a random 5-way rotary switch which just seems to deaden the sound a bit.

The pictures I've uploaded are from the auction. I was actually able to go just down the road and pick it up from the dude in person. Quite random because a couple days ago I was playing a new Aria TA40 and really liked it, but it was £269, so I decided to check the net first and found a TA61 just down the road for £140!!

I did have a question about this, though. I was wanting to change the pups out and put a P90 (my first P90) into the neck, but was wondering if any additional modifications need to be done before I can put the P90 in?

Cheers!

Joe

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Joe,

Looks nice, you are going to really enjoy the new toy.

I can't answer the pup question, I assume it has humbuckers in it now and was wondering why you are looking at installing a P90? Putting in a P90 is fine, but what exactly are you after with the mod?

thearabianmage
December 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Joe,

Looks nice, you are going to really enjoy the new toy.

I can't answer the pup question, I assume it has humbuckers in it now and was wondering why you are looking at installing a P90? Putting in a P90 is fine, but what exactly are you after with the mod?

The guitar sounds okay without one (yes, they are indeed humbuckers, though they seem rather. . .uh. . . crap) but I really want a nice warm tone, and I figure putting a P90 in the neck of a semi-acoustic is just about as warm as an electric can get.

I also don't have any P90's and figure this would suit a P90 better than any of my other guitars (can you imagine a B.C. Rich Warlock with P90's?! :thwap: )

I just wasn't sure if the sizes would be too different or what-not.

Whaddaya think?

Joe

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
The guitar sounds okay without one (yes, they are indeed humbuckers, though they seem rather. . .uh. . . crap) but I really want a nice warm tone, and I figure putting a P90 in the neck of a semi-acoustic is just about as warm as an electric can get.

I also don't have any P90's and figure this would suit a P90 better than any of my other guitars (can you imagine a B.C. Rich Warlock with P90's?! :thwap: )

I just wasn't sure if the sizes would be too different or what-not.

Whaddaya think?

Joe

Size could be an issue. I'm in the process of removing the P90's from the Washburn and I could not install normal humbuckers in the guitar without routing (see ditching P90 thread). I'm sure there are P90's available to make the swap, but I'm not in a position to recommend anything. There has to be someone here that can help in that area.

thearabianmage
December 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Size could be an issue. I'm in the process of removing the P90's from the Washburn and I could not install normal humbuckers in the guitar without routing (see ditching P90 thread). I'm sure there are P90's available to make the swap, but I'm not in a position to recommend anything. There has to be someone here that can help in that area.

It was your Ditching the P90's thread that got me wondering about the change-over, but I've done a little more searching and have found a P90 that is humbucker size, so it's all good. only £21 as well! :D

I'll have to get some decent pics of the guitar up when I've finished tinkering with it. . .

warren0728
December 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
i think you will like the p90 joe....cool that you found one the size of a humbucker! :rockon: