PDA

View Full Version : Who are your favourite song writers?

Robert
October 30th, 2005, 03:15 PM
It depends of course what kind of music we are talking about (I'm leaving out jazz), but here's my top 5 (in no particular order):
Jimi Hendrix - well, he's like a religion for me. Listen to "The Wind Cries Mary", or "Angel".
John Hiatt (roots/folk style) - incredible song writer. Has the ability to make strong melodies, using only a few chords. His tasteful vocal phrasing puts him a step over most other folk rock song writers. Lyrics are also very interesting. Check out "Paper Thin", or "Perfectly Good Guitar"
Prince - a funk King. Catch him live if you can, he'll blow you away. Great guitar player too - wild and in your face. "Sign O' The Times" is a great album.
Sting - another Master. Has great vocal phrasing, and can write catchy tunes, jazzy grooves, country, rock - pretty much anything. "Field of Gold" and "Soul Cages" are examples of great songs.
Joni Mitchell - the greates female artist to ever come from Canada? Listen to "A Case of You" or "Hejira" - oh so tasteful. The world needs more people like her.

Justaguyin_nc
October 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM
For some reason when I think of writers I end up thinking country and there are many that cross platforms, well here are but a few I really enjoy:

Hoyt Axton (his Pusher and snowblind by steppenwolf stand out)
Willie Nelson (more talent then any one human deserves imho)
Jerry Reed (The hidden secret of alot of country stars)
Kris Kristoferson (Another for Ballads and words that make you think, ask Janis Joplin)
Roger Miller (For kicks and licks)

And Im adding in Jim Croce just because, he rates as one of the best.

Spudman
December 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Lennon and McCartney

Roine Stolt from The Flower Kings

Roger Waters

Yogi Lang from RPWL

Arjen Lucassen from Ayreon

Neal Morse

Peter Gabriel

Geoff Tate and Chris DeGarmo

sunvalleylaw
December 21st, 2006, 11:23 PM
For songwriting, I favor lyrics.

Neil Young
Springsteen
Zevon
Lovett
R.E.M.
Lennon and McCartney
Maurice White
Bernie Taupin

Off the top of my head. I'll look at the list tomorrow and think of different ones.

EDIT: Ok, I agree with John Hiatt. Also like Paul Westerberg.

SECOND EDIT: Also add Joe Jackson. I love his lyrics, and the various sounds he can come up with.

Katastrophe
December 21st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Bob Dylan - The man can't sing, but he sure knows how to craft a song.

Bob Seger - Don't laugh at me for this one. Chevy Truck commercials notwithstanding, I grew up listening to his stuff, and some of his lyrics are great.

Willie Nelson - a good number of what are now eternal country standards were written by him.

There are others, but those are the first three that came to mind first.

jpfeifer
December 22nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
My favorite writers .....

Lennon and McCartney: I think that these guys will go down in history to be as important as Motzart, Bach, etc. Popular music changed forever after the Beatles.

Paul Simon : Definitely one of the best. I really like his nice chord changes and use of authentic musicians from other genres.

Pat Metheny / Lyle Mays : Something about their stuff really gets me.

Jimmy Webb : This guy wrote all kinds of great songs for all kinds of artists. I especially like the songs he wrote for Glenn Campbell in his early days. Witchita Lineman, etc.

Billy Joel : I don't like all of his songs but some of them are extremely good song writing.

-- Jim

Hogfullofblues
December 22nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
One of my favorites is Ian Anderson. Tull's subject matter, lyrics, humor, and mixtures of genres and acoustic/electric sounds always got me.

telewiz
December 22nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Lightnin Hopkins _ the master of instinctive improvisation for me. I always discover something new every time I hear his lyrics and music.

Peter Green _ One of my favorite guitarists but also one of the most talented songwriters. Truly a "Man of the World" for me.

Nick Drake _ The prince of melancholy. One of the purest talents both in poetry and guitar playing.

Leonard Cohen _ I don't know what to write about him...

aeolian
December 22nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
A lot of different musical tastes are represented here. Some of my favorites, in addition to many already mentioned, are:

Elvis Costello

Fagen & Becker

Difford & Tilbrook (Squeeze)

Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears)

DaveO
December 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Check my sig and add 100 more at any given time
Dave

Spudman
December 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
Difford & Tilbrook (Squeeze)

Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears)

+1 for those guys. Great stuff. "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending" is great!

sunvalleylaw
December 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
I added a second edit to my post. I also add Joe Jackson. I love his lyrics (Often great wit and sarcasm), and the variety in his sound. Just "Look Sharp" and "Night and Day" are very different but I like both.

aeolian
December 22nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
I want to add another under-appreciated songwriter who has produced a sizeable catalog of great songs:

Andy Partridge (XTC)

Spudman
December 22nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
I want to add another under-appreciated songwriter who has produced a sizeable catalog of great songs:

Andy Partridge (XTC)

Oh my! How could I have forgotten? He's brilliant! Any XTC album is a feast. They have inspired so many artists too.

Thanks for mentioning Andy.

aeolian
December 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
More and more great songwriters come to mind.

A old master:

Ray Davies (Kinks)

A youngblood:

Alex Kapranos (Franz Ferdinand) - if you have not heard of Franz Ferdinand, check them out. They only have 2 CDs out, but the songs are hooky pop/rock that will stick with you.

aeolian