PDA

View Full Version : A Mod Gone Bad?

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-VINTAGE-FENDER-STRATOCASTER-STRAT-RARE-USA-LOOK_W0QQitemZ370122621733

Wonder if they watched "Chain Saw Massacre" before starting this project.

It did get a buyer that proves once again - for every seat, there is an a$$.

thearabianmage
December 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I think that went for about $122 too much. . . I wonder what the 'modder's' original idea was?

marnold
December 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Wow. Just wow. It's not often that I'm at a complete loss for words, but here we are.

M29
December 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Whoh:thwap: Shoot the 38.00 shipping is ridicules and 13 bids oh my.

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe this would have been better suited in my "value" thread, I doubt if there is anyone that can justify the cost of this. M29, I never even gave thought to the shipping cost, I'm still digesting the selling price and trying to determine the "WHY?"

player
December 14th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Good Grief! that's not a mod by definition.. more like Extreme Hack job:saw:
:cry:

duhvoodooman
December 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Pitiful. Truly pitiful. :thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
December 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Given the title, I expected to read transcripts replete with deleted explicatives of Spud trying to sell the winning number to the raffle.

"What I've got is f@CK!ng golden. I ain't f#ckin' giving it away for nuttin'"

I'm happy to see that it is only a butchered ax.

warren0728
December 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM
what could someone possibly think is worth over $150 bucks with shipping on that hacked up piece of shite.... :thwap:

TS808
December 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Wow...sometimes I don't know what people are thinking when they do stuff like that to a guitar. I could see getting a cheap guitar and hacking it up, but come on...doing that to a strat is utter blasphemy!! Leo is rolling over in his grave right now.

markb
December 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Some folks shouldn't be allowed sharp things :) . Actually I'm not sure which is the greater act of vandalism, the hatchet job on the body (no irony intended here) or the Alembic Strat-o-Boost that some misguided person installed. Aaarghh :thwap:

Duff
December 14th, 2008, 10:29 PM
The story behind this has to be interesting. Why? What? Where? Who?

The crack in the headstock is a serious problem and the mystery notch at the headstock? What the?

How can someone try to sell this and how can someone actually buy it?

An SX SST57 or 62 would be like a millions times better investment.

This whole deal is actually sickening. Somebody really didn't like the strat look.

This plan definitely went way wrong. Or the plan went just fine but the hacker was deranged. Yeah, that's got to be it. The modder is insane.

Duffy

Andy
December 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
it's worthless, plain and simple , nothing of value

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I am reminded of Sid from the first Toy Story movie. (shudder . . .).

M29
December 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
13 bids :thwap:

Katastrophe
December 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Not to be devil's advocate here, but if that guitar was bought second hand in a time like, well, the 80s, before CBS era Strats were considered vintage, this could have been a cheap, second hand guitar.

I'll agree, though, that the "modding" done on this thing is horrific. It should be burned to ashes.

Is that fiberglas, joint compound, or Bondo in the pickup cavities? I can't tell.:thwap:

tunghaichuan
December 15th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Not to be devil's advocate here, but if that guitar was bought second hand in a time like, well, the 80s, before CBS era Strats were considered vintage, this could have been a cheap, second hand guitar.

I agree, back in the 80s, when you could still get 50s and 60s strats for < $3k, that would have been a $200 - $300 guitar. Nobody wanted CBS strats. Back in the 80s I had a '78 Strat that was the worst guitar I've ever owned, bar none. I couldn't give it away back then. It boggles my mind that that guitar is now worth several thousand dollars. :thwap:

I'll agree, though, that the "modding" done on this thing is horrific. It should be burned to ashes.

Also agreed, a travesty.

Is that fiberglas, joint compound, or Bondo in the pickup cavities? I can't tell.:thwap:

Looks like shielding paint to me.

tung

LagrangeCalvert
December 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I have lost all faith in humanity because of this thread.... thanks guys.

I threw up in my mouth a little also........

I prayed... and I'm not that type

My soul has a backache due to this guitar.

I punched a baby because of this too.

Im not celebrating christmas because of it.

I......I.....I

bigoldron
December 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Wait a minute guys. Shouldn't this be considered as "vintaged" for real? Shouldn't this thing be worth $3-4,000? OK, I'm just kidding. Not even a cheap one deserves this. :puke: