PDA

View Full Version : I did it! Bought a Marshall JTM45!!!

Jimi75
December 16th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Folks,

Adrenalin pumps up to my head as I write these lines.

I bought the almost new Marshall JTM45 of a pretty famous German guitarist. A friend of mine at Marshall gave me his contact. The amp will arrive this weekend, early next week. He had this amp only at home, never took it on tour or so and it looks like brand new, still got the original Marshall tag on the backside.

The ebay sales I did, paid of (although I didn't sell any guitar - good to still own the Hendrix Strat....).

Looking forward to playing the first notes which will be "The Wind Cries Mary"!

The price was more than fair - I paid around 850 USD.

No I haveto safe up for a 2 x 12 Greenback 20 cabinet, so far I will use my old 4 x 12.

I will post videos as soon as possible.

Still can't believe I finally bought my dream amph!

sunvalleylaw
December 16th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Very nice! Warm congratulations to you. I know you have studied your purchase long and I am sure you will enjoy it. Congrats, and I can't wait to hear you through it!

Robert
December 16th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Congrats Jimi! That should be a sweet amp. Is it a reissue? Tell us more. I bet that thing is LOUD.

Jimi75
December 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Thank you guys!

Yes it is one of the reissues. I have checked several of them in stores and the ones built from 2002-2004 seemed to sound the best. this is also what my friend of Marshall confirmed. This JTM45 is a reissue from 2002, but has never really been used so it is in new old stock condition.

I have in advance spoken with my band colleagues regarding the loudness, especially with our singer, because I want him still to be able to sing and not having to scream. He gave green light...no prob, the guitarist in his other band plays a 100W full stack...so...you know...

This amph is loud, but for bluesy stuff it stays pretty clean up to 11 o' clock with single coils. You then have a very warm Marshall clean tone that has been so unfairly underrated! Playing the amph clean to softly crunched is not too loud for rehearsing. For home use I will have to buy an attenuator. But step by step...can't buy all in once...

The amph loves pedals. The guy who's selling it plays a Fulltone OCD with it, just to push it a little bit and soundclips I heard of this combination almost brought tears of joy to eyes.

marnold
December 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Sweeeeeeet. Clips!

ZMAN
December 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Now is the time to take your electronics course LOL. I have recently purchased a JCM 2000 DSL 401. I also tried a JCM 600 for a while. I am a little disappointed by Marshall amps. I will have to replace some tubes in the amp, I am getting a lot of Microphonics from it. The last one had a problem with the Clean channel compared to the Gain channel the volume was about half and it made it impossible to change channels without adjusting the amp and guitar. I have been looking at the Marshall forum and it seems that people just accept the fact that they will have problems with the amps. The tone is to dye for I know and I will retube this one but I am comparing it to 4 Fender tube amps that I have had to replace 1 tube in 5 years.
I hope yours has no issues and it WILL sound amazing.

Robert
December 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Jimi, is it this one (http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2245(JTM45))?

Jimi75
December 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Jimi, is it this one (http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2245(JTM45))?

Absolutely! That is the one. The only exception is that this guy exchanged the whole set of tubes with handselected TAD tubes, so this amp is an animal! I love KT66 tubes...

M29
December 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Awesome Jimi:AOK: Can't wait to hear her scream:rockon:

Blaze
December 16th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Oh wow , great stuff , this is a dream come true,happy for you jim , some clips, some clips...

http://web.net-time.net/GuitarShop/BDGuitarShop/Image/Grande/5028.jpg

Blazes:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Guitar-Chris
December 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I bought the almost new Marshall JTM45 of a pretty famous German guitarist.

Congrats Jumi, that is a fantastic amp. Who was this famous guitarist? Or is this a real secret?

Andy
December 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM
nice score!

would the musician be schenker ,perhaps?

SuperSwede
December 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Congrats, those amps are awesome :)

sunvalleylaw
December 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Jimi I am so curious about the statesman quad. Did you play with one much? I know it is not your dream Marshall which I am glad you got but I am very interested in your thoughts.

Algonquin
December 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Congrats on the newest aquisition Jimi.

Jimi75
December 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Congrats Jumi, that is a fantastic amp. Who was this famous guitarist? Or is this a real secret?

Ahhh I have to be discrete in this matter, but it wasn't Schenker. It was another German guy who was big with his band in the USA in the late 70's.;)

Jimi75
December 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Jimi I am so curious about the statesman quad. Did you play with one much? I know it is not your dream Marshall which I am glad you got but I am very interested in your thoughts.

I have played all Statesman Models and they are pretty good. The only thing that bothered me was that the amp sounded a little boxy, it seemed as if it had more power but no room to breath. Unfortunately, this was also the case with the Statesman top plus different cabinets. The translation and "speech" of the vintage Marshall series is way more direct than withthe Statesman. Had I not received this offer for the Marshall, I would have bought the Statesman anyways, because the above mentioned things are small "issues". The Quad version is a really good amp that reminded me of the Fender Bassman amps with a very own character.

Tone2TheBone
December 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM
That's the way to man up and buy a Marshall!!! Good score man!

Andy
December 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ahhh I have to be discrete in this matter, but it wasn't Schenker. It was another German guy who was big with his band in the USA in the late 70's.;)

understood...I Accept your discretion..;)

hubberjub
December 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I love the JTM-45. You're a lucky man. Enjoy it.

Robert
December 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
understood...I Accept your discretion..;)

Bet that amp can give you that Balls To The Walls sound... ;)

tunghaichuan
December 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Bet that amp can give you that Balls To The Walls sound... ;)

:rotflmao:

That's Mrs. Tung's favorite metal song. She laughs every time I play it. :D

Cool score on the JTM-45. An awesome amp to be sure. :master:

tung

bigoldron
December 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Congrats Jimi! There's nothing like that feeling of getting what you've always wanted. The other amph you were looking at sounded good, but it still wasn't that big "M". :AOK:

BTW, does this one "blow your nuts through the wall and give you that balls to the wall tone" that you've always wanted? :rotflmao:

oldguy
December 17th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Congratulations, Jimi! I'm so happy for you because you held out for what you wanted, and you got it.:AOK: Actually it didn't take you that long, either.
That Marshall will sound great with your Strat, no doubt about it, and we'll all be waiting for a listen when you get time to share a clip or two. :beer:

duhvoodooman
December 17th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Very, very cool, Jimi! Can't wait to hear you work your magic through it! :AOK: :dude: :bravo: :rockon: