PDA

View Full Version : Tremoloman, tell me about that pink Strat...

kerc
June 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM
'Cos it looks damn sweet. :D

tremoloman
June 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for noticing!

Ok, it's close to an American Deluxe model, but I built it from various parts I purchased on eBay and other internet sites.

It's got:

An American Deluxe Rosewood neck
An American Deluxe body
Schaller Locking Tuners
Callaham Tremolo block
Callaham "64" tremolo arm
Elixir .010s
Custom Shell Pink paint job by a friend in auto body
S1 circuit
Custom Shop '69 pickups
Stainless steel screws, springs, neck bolts, etc.
Real aged white plastics faded by leaving them taped to a window for months

I could post some pics of her if you want to see more. :)

SuperSwede
June 24th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Real aged white plastics faded by leaving them taped to a window for months

Wow, how did you come up with that idea? You are more ingenious than martha stewart... Home Relic Show with Tremoloman..
I really like that idea! (and your pink strat looks fantastic, more pics please!)

:R

kerc
June 26th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I could post some pics of her if you want to see more. :)

Definitely; go ahead! :D

Katastrophe
June 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I've wondered about that guitar fer a while now. Please, post pics!:R :DR

tremoloman
June 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Ok, here's a few pics of Sharon (aka "Pinky") for you to look at. I'm not the best at taking pictures so I'm sorry if they came out lousy.

I took a close up of the Callaham block for those interested in one. If you look closely, you can see where I removed a little wood to allow the block some serious movement so that I can divebomb the bridge if I want to. It's not necessary, but I like lots of movement when I'm in "Jimi" miode.

...and yes... it stays in tune 99.9% of the time. ;)

tremoloman
June 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Wow, how did you come up with that idea? You are more ingenious than martha stewart... Home Relic Show with Tremoloman..
I really like that idea! (and your pink strat looks fantastic, more pics please!)

:R
Thanks! :)

Well, I couldn't find the Strat model I wanted, so I decided to make my own with all the features I was looking for. I thought about getting a 60s Strat in Shell Pink, but I didn't like the neck on it and to upgrade all the electronics would have pushed the price well over what this had costed me.

My goal was to build the guitar of my dreams that had all the modern upgrades while retaining the classic Strat look.

Here's what I wanted in my Strat:

The 2-point tremolo
Callaham tremolo block
Callaham stainless steel tremolo arm
Stainless steel hardware (springs, screws, etc)
Fender Custom Shop '69 pickups for the ultimate Hendrix tone
Fender's new S1 circuitry to allow me as much versatility as possible
An American Deluxe body (bolt on neck is trimmed a bit more than usual)
A rosewood American Deluxe neck with abalone inlays
Schaller locking tuners for quick string changes and tuning stability
Bone nut
and most importantly: A Shell Pink refinish!I think it came out pretty good. :) I get more comments on both its sound and appearance at just about every gig I play. I'm suprised nobody has given me any grief over it since you don't see pink guitars nowadays. As my girlffriend said to me: "It takes a real man to play a pink guitar". :)

kerc
June 27th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Just amazing! Wow...man, thanks for the pics...That guitar has me droolin' all over my keyboard!

You did the refinish? What paint did you use? It looks mighty perfect...In fact, the workmanship of the guitar looks top notch.

Congrats!

:D

tremoloman
June 27th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Just amazing! Wow...man, thanks for the pics...That guitar has me droolin' all over my keyboard!

You did the refinish? What paint did you use? It looks mighty perfect...In fact, the workmanship of the guitar looks top notch.

Congrats!

:D

Thank you very much! A friend of mine who is in auto body refinished it for me in just 1 day. I let it bake in my attic for a week during the summer to allow the paint to dry appropriately. It does have a few minor nicks and dings, but it's OK when the relic process if from gigging IMHO.

If you like this one, I'll post my Marilyn Monroe "80s" guitar for you guys. Now that guitar is obnoxious!

Tim
June 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I let it bake in my attic for a week during the summer to allow the paint to dry appropriately.

What ingenuity you have Tremolo. First you tell us about aging plastic pickup covers by taping them onto a window for months to obtain the “aged” look. And now we hear about baking a freshly painted guitar body by placing it in an attic. You defiantly have your act together there Tremoloman.

duhvoodooman
June 27th, 2006, 10:14 AM
She's a beaut, Trem! Fine, fine job you did there! How about recording a little Hendrix on Pinky & posting for all to hear? :DR

SuperSwede
June 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah, she is a real beauty !

tremoloman
June 27th, 2006, 12:06 PM
She's a beaut, Trem! Fine, fine job you did there! How about recording a little Hendrix on Pinky & posting for all to hear? :DR

I promise to do just that very soon! I finally understand how to use my recording studio well enough to start laying down tracks. I took next week off specifically to work on recording, so I should have something for you guys to snicker at by the end of next week.

Perhaps we could start a thread showing each other's guitars and the mods we've made to them? I think that would be awesome to help inspire members to tinker with their instruments more. :)

Katastrophe
June 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I think, my friend, that your Shell Pink Strat wins... Beautiful guitar, man!

Spudman
June 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
That pink looks yummy. Like a fine soft chewy candy. Nice color!
BTW. Don't forget to add the full length back yard photo to the "guitars in the wild" thread.

SuperSwede
June 28th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I´ll second spuds statement... we need more guitars in the wild :)