PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Deserted Island Rig - out of what you own now.

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I don't think this specific question has been asked.

Of the gear you currently own (a lot of us own more than one guitar and/or amph and pedals), what one (1) guitar (acoustic or electric), one (1) amph, and (1) pedal (EDIT: I mean a stompbox, not a multi-effect) would you bring if you were banished to a deserted island, but one with a good power supply? State why if you have time or can. (existence of a tuner is presumed, you don't have to take a tuner pedal)

My answer is:

Guitar: My Fender 60th Anniversary MIM Strat. I love my Hagstrom, but my strat is my first, and I think is overall more versatile, and has that strat thing I love and is so clear and articulate. EDIT: It is so nice to hold too. Feels just right.

Amph: My Peavey Classic 30 Yes, it is my only personal amph, but I include my son's Peavey modeling Vypyr in this too. The Vypyr is a great modeler, don't get me wrong, but I love my tube amph. With its clean and dirt channels, and the pedal I will bring, I will have plenty of versatility for my tastes. As I play with the Vypyr more, I could change my mind, because it does have some really nice models.

Pedal: DVM's Rabid Rodent The Rodent edged out my previous favorite, my Digitech Bad Monkey, because it is so versatile, and has really 6 distortion settings, and 6 overdrives if you count the Ruetz mod. I love the Bad Monkey's warm overdrive, and I might be tempted to try to smuggle it along too, but the Rodent has some very nice overdrive sounds as well, and a whole lot more. I can get a Mayer overdriven hot blues sound, plus I am sure a bunch of other overdrive sounds, although this Mayer one is my favorite right now. I can also get a full variety of good, rock distortion sounds, and a ton of sustain. Punk sounds, classic rock, Santana, SRV, they are in there.

OK, who's next? 1 guitar, 1 amph, and 1 pedal out of what you currently own. And Spud, you have to answer this too. Inquiring minds want to know what the well endowed gear owner's among us would bring. :D

Gil Janus
December 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I don't own a large collection of gear so it's fairly easy to select.

My Fender VG Strat - best of my guitars just as a guitar, and it's built in synth allows me to act as if I had some other guitars - think of it as cheating :AOK:

My Vox DA-5 5w Amp - the perfect little rig - has many different amps hidden inside, and has a plethora of effects - not all of which are good. :thwap:

My DVM Phasers To STUN phaser - just love this one, plus the phaser in the Vox is not the greatest.

There you go, ready to :R On

Gil :cool:

Spudman
December 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
My desert island rig would be a refrigerator that endlessly supplies good cold beer.:beer:

But for a guitar rig....

Peavey Delta 1x15
Musicman Luke
Line6 M13 or a single stomp box would be Digitech Tone Driver

oldguy
December 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Roadhouse Strat, Overtone Special, Digitech Digidelay.

I might have said the Charvel Model 6, but it uses a 9v battery for the active pickups, and the Floyd is better than the Roadhouse 2 pt. trem for dive bomb stuff, but the Roadhouse will do more sonically, IMO, so I went w/ the Roadhouse.

The Overtone has great cleans, and plenty of gain on tap, plus the boost switch for both channels, so it wins out over the rest.

The Digidelay is flexible, can do way more than a slapback echo or endless repeat, and it's not a modeler, so it gets picked here.

Algonquin
December 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Guitar:
My Fender Nashville Power Tele :AOK: Easy choice here really... with the addition of the centre position Strat pickup and the Fishman piezo bridge pickups it's the most versatile guitar I own. The stereo guitar cable comes with it as well!

Amp:
My Roland JC-120 (Yes, a solid state amp :tongue: ) plugging the piezo portion of the cable coming from the tele into channel 1 (no reverb), and the magnetic pickup portion of the cable into channel 2 allows a lot of control over the two pickup types.

Pedal:
Thank gawd you said a tuner was already available and not req'd, because if not, I'd take my Boss TU-2 in a heartbeat... I use it that much! For my island pedal, I'd take my newly acquired Marshall Guv'ner Plus pedal. No disrepect to my other OD pedals, but this one is the newest and is Killer!

:confused: :confused: :confused: What... no picks? :confused: :confused: :confused:

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
LOL! Your choice on picks. You can bring a bunch.

sumitomo
December 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Id take my warmoth tele with the SD pups Jb neck PG bridge and my 65 Super reverb dont need no pedal,but Id like a good cord.Tone for years.Sumi:D

Spudman
December 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Peavey Delta 1x15
Musicman Luke
Line6 M13 or a single stomp box would be Digitech Tone Driver

Oops! Thanks to oldguy I realize that the Luke would also need batteries. I guess I'll switch guitars to the Ibanez SZ520QM.

R_of_G
December 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Guitar: Gibson ES-135 because (a) it's got great tone with and without effects
and (b) it sounds great plugged in or not plugged in

Amp: Vox AD15VT because it's the only one I have. It's also the only one I want so that's fine too.

Pedal: Danelectro Dan-o-Wah. I have plenty of effects built in to the amp, but as far as individual pedals, I'd want my wah.

Tone2TheBone
December 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
My 60s Strat and my Roland Micro Cube with a lifetime supply of batteries.

Algonquin
December 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
My 60s Strat and my Roland Micro Cube with a lifetime supply of batteries.
:AOK: :rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
December 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
:AOK: :rotflmao:

No seriously dude.

thearabianmage
December 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Bubba and my Smokey Amp and I'll switch the foot-pedal for a bunch of batteries so I can walk around the island and play guitar at the same time. Once the Smokey dies, I can just play au natural.

Algonquin
December 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM
No seriously dude.
I'm glad to hear it! I think the cubes are great... been saying it around here for a while now, and one of these days I'll have one too.

SVL... what about the Rum? :confused: :confused: :confused: There will be Rum... right?

street music
December 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
My GODIN Detour, Fender Princeton 65 and my Zoom G1X with a couple of good books to work on.

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'm glad to hear it! I think the cubes are great... been saying it around here for a while now, and one of these days I'll have one too.

SVL... what about the Rum? :confused: :confused: :confused: There will be Rum... right?

Cruzan. ;)

Andy
December 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM
my desert(ed) island rig would be my acoustic. theres no electricity on desert(ed) islands to power amps and pedals unless your stranded with the professor, a palm tree bicycle, and coconut batterys.

I've never heard of an island being a desert:poke:it's not hard to find water on an island...lol

Robert
December 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
1 - Suhr Classic (by far the best guitar in the house)
2 - Mack Heatseeker + 2x12 cab (by far the best sounding amp in the house)
3 - Digitech EX-7 (by far the most versatile stompbox I have)

just strum
December 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Mine would be two scoops of ice cream and hot fudge.

Oh wait, you said desert, not dessert.

Well, in that case hold the ice cream and I'll take this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ESLCVSNH/

and this

http://www.keeleyhazell.com/

and this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Shiva112RV/

and a lot of these

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Powercord25/

and this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlugLock/

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
my desert(ed) island rig would be my acoustic. theres no electricity on desert(ed) islands to power amps and pedals unless your stranded with the professor, a palm tree bicycle, and coconut batterys.

I've never heard of an island being a desert:poke:it's not hard to find water on an island...lol

LOL! I suppose so, but one side of some of the Hawaiian Islands have desert climates. But point taken and I fixed the subject. I did specify for the sake of the question that the island would have a good power supply. ;)

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Mine would be two scoops of ice cream and hot fudge.

Oh wait, you said desert, not dessert.

Well, in that case hold the ice cream and I'll take this

. . .

Oops Strum, gotta read the question. Out of you currently owned gear now. Unless you recently purchased a $3800 Gibson and whatever else you listed there. :D

just strum
December 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Oops Strum, gotta read the question. Out of you currently owned gear now. Unless you recently purchased a $3800 Gibson and whatever else you listed there. :D

Well, that's different. Hmmm, tough choice, but I have to go with the Dot due to its versatility and Epi Valve, along with the RP350.

I don't care if it's your thread and your rules, Keeley is joining me.

sumitomo
December 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Ah Strum are you gunna break up the harem no beer girls.Sumi:D

just strum
December 17th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Ah Strum are you gunna break up the harem no beer girls.Sumi:D

Not enough sockets for the refrigerator.

sumitomo
December 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM
We could do solar with inverters.Sumi:D

luvmyshiner
December 17th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I wanna be on Spud's island so I can wheeze on his beer. And I'll take the D'Aquisto, no batteries needed.

Spudman
December 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I wanna be on Spud's island so I can wheeze on his beer.

I hope you'll be able to play the coconuts then. The sound of the waves for jazz and coconuts for when it's time to ROCK.:dude:

luvmyshiner
December 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM
You got it brother! I love playin' with coconuts.:D :D

Hmmm, probably should rephrase that.:messedup:

marnold
December 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Fender Showmaster
Vox AD30VT (aka my only guitar amp)
Digitech EX-7 (unless you'll be picky about multi-effects in which case it would be my TO800)

Lev
December 18th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Fender Am Dlx HSS Strat
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss RC-2 (I'm guessing there'll be no one to jam with on the island so a looper is essential).

Jimi75
December 18th, 2008, 05:39 AM
That is a tough question for me regarding the amph and the effect. Until a cruise liner sees my smoke signals and picks me up I go with this set up

Guitar: Jimmie Vaughan Strat

Amp: Marshall JTM 45 reissue plus 2x12 box - at least I can crank this beast on an isle...

Effect: No effects loop in my amph, so I take either the Digitech Jimi Hendrix pedal or the Digitech EX-7 Expression Factory, because it has also a wah in it.

Katastrophe
December 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM
My lowly ol' MIM Strat, and the one and only working amph that I own, the lowlier Crate.

Not that I have much in the way of choices.:thwap: :D

Ro3b
December 18th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I don't have much to choose from, either, but it's still hard to choose.

Guitar: My Jagmaster has a new set of Dream 180s and I'm loving the sounds, so I'll go with that. At least until the next time I pick up my tele.

Amp: This is hard. My AD50VT does a whole lot of different things; my Crate V18 is less versatile, but it does what it does really, really well. I tend to err on the side of simplicity in most things. I think I'll have to go with the Crate.

Pedal: OCD, hands down.

Andy
December 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
definately my Les Paul
valve jr and cab
and ocd pedal- as the bare minimum essential gear

markb
December 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Strat (yes, strat, I'm hooked!)
Trademark 60 + footswitch
Tremolo pedal in loop.

duhvoodooman
December 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Epi Elitist Les Paul Standard
Fender Blues Jr. + 2x12 cab
Rabid Rodent distortion/overdrive pedal

Next week, it could be completely different, like Fender Strat Plus-Valve Jr.-ZYS. But this is what I've been diggin' the most the past couple of weeks. :rockon: