PDA

View Full Version : First Pics! Xaviere XV-820 Tele Copy

duhvoodooman
December 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I picked up my new Xaviere XV-820 Solid Ash Trans-Honey Maple Neck Tele copy (http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvsoashtrman.html) today from Guitar Fetish while traveling over to Boston to pick up my daughter at college. They're located a few miles off I-495 just south of I-90, which is the route I take from the Albany NY area. It's a pretty small operation--really just a small warehouse and shipping area, with several employees busily packing up orders. I'm sure that keeping the overhead low is a key part of why GF can offer quality parts & products at such good prices. My contact was Dave, who heads up the shipping operation. He greeted me immediately as I entered the building and my guitar was sitting there, ready to go. We opened the carton just to do a quick once over--everything looked fine--and then taped it back up and I was on my way.

Since getting it home, I've cleaned it up a bit (it didn't need much!), removed the protective plastic on the pickguard, and restrung it. Just starting to get used to it, but it's got a nice, clear, bright Tele tone and plays very well. Set-up seems to be very good--the action is fairly low and quite fast, no fret buzz that I can hear, and the intonation sounds good, though I haven't checked it yet with a tuner. I'll post more in the way of a review in a few days, but my initial impression is very positive. Amazing for $174! Here are some pics for you curious gear-hounds. They do a really nice finishing job on these new Xavieres, and I think the guitar is quite striking in appearance. Maybe not quite a genuine Fender '52 RI, but close enough for me! :AOK: :dude:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/XV820/XV820_full_front.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/XV820/XV820_body_front.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/XV820/XV820_bridge_controls.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/XV820/XV820_headstock.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/XV820/XV820_body_back.jpg

just strum
December 18th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Looks nice. I keep resisting another guitar purchase and I have to thank you for making this week real easy for me (not):AOK: :AOK: :AOK:

Algonquin
December 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Looks nice DVM... now some sound clips please (at your earliest convenience)

Katastrophe
December 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Congrats, DVM!

She's a real beauty.

Blaze
December 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Nice lookin guitar DVM , where these Xavieres are manufactured..

Robert
December 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Looks nice! A step up from an SX, I presume?

duhvoodooman
December 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I've never played an SX, but I'm quite sure they are. Pretty comparable to a good Squier, I'd think.

Re: where they're manufactured, I believe I saw somewhere that they're made in Indonesia.

Ch0jin
December 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
That does look nice :)
As you say, not -exactly- the same colouring as the '52 RI although that could just be the pics of course. I'd chastise you for use of built in flash, but given thats it's probably freezin' outside where you are, I can overlook it ;)

I thought you were keen on one of the new 335 style guitars from Xaviere tho?

Anyway, gratz on the new acquisition :)

duhvoodooman
December 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM
....I'd chastise you for use of built in flash, but given thats it's probably freezin' outside where you are, I can overlook it
Yeah, other than it being 25 deg. F and dark when I took these shots, it would have been perfect outdoor photo conditions! ;)

I thought you were keen on one of the new 335 style guitars from Xaviere tho?
Nope, I just posted to point out the new semi-hollowbodies added to the Xaviere line. I have an Epi Dot, so am not in the market for another SHB.

bigoldron
December 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Nice looking Tele copy, DVM. If I could cough up the do-re-mi, I'd go for one of the Xaviere Strat copies. If they play half as good as they look, they'd be "simply mahvelous"...

Ch0jin
December 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Nope, I just posted to point out the new semi-hollowbodies added to the Xaviere line. I have an Epi Dot, so am not in the market for another SHB.

Ahh cool. Now everything makes sense to me again :)

Jipes
December 19th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Very nice guitar Voodoo man Congrats :bravo: Did you have the opportunity to see in real one of the Thinline copy ?

duhvoodooman
December 19th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Did you have the opportunity to see in real one of the Thinline copy?
Unfortunately, no. As I said, this was really just a small warehouse & shipping operation, not a "storefront" with anything on display. There were plenty of guitars about, but they were all in cases or boxed. The only guitar sitting out was a single XV-550 semi-hollow LP copy. Looked nice, though....

warren0728
December 19th, 2008, 05:48 AM
looks great dvm....can't wait to here how she plays and sounds....

M29
December 19th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Looks good DVM, wishin I had some extra molah for one. I'm itchin for a Tele. :AOK:

Jipes
December 19th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Unfortunately, no. As I said, this was really just a small warehouse & shipping operation, not a "storefront" with anything on display. There were plenty of guitars about, but they were all in cases or boxed. The only guitar sitting out was a single XV-550 semi-hollow LP copy. Looked nice, though....

Thanks a lot for your quick reply ;)

jasongins
December 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM
What exit off of 495? I go that way quite a bit on my route from our home in the Philadelphia area to my in-laws' up in New Hampshire? Looks like a nice tele.

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 07:04 AM
She sure looks sweet. I'm looking forward to a more detailed review.

ted s
December 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Looks great Vood !

duhvoodooman
December 19th, 2008, 08:32 AM
What exit off of 495? I go that way quite a bit on my route from our home in the Philadelphia area to my in-laws' up in New Hampshire?
Exit 19, Rte. 109, Milford-Medway. You take 109 a few miles east to where it takes a jog just west of Medway. Then it's a right and a left on Village St. and a couple more miles to their location. 67 Village St. on the righthand side of the road, eastbound.

F_BSurfer
December 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Looks very nice DVM the Xavieres are a great bang for the buck

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I love the looks of that thing. I would love to know how it compares to a Classic Vibe. When you have the feel of it, I would love it if you would go play a CV and compare for us. I really would love the '52 re-issue look in a tele. Right now, I would still lean toward a G&L ASAT over the CV. I just don't love the white wash look of the CV. So, I guess I am very interested in how good a contender this guitar is.

duhvoodooman
December 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Well, I'm not sure how good are the prospects of me playing a CV Tele for comparison sake, but if the holidays take me into my local GC (as they may if I can move that Nashville Tele and get my funding finalized for an Egnater Rebel 20 head), I'll try to accomodate you, Sun....

So far, I only find one notable detracting factor for the guitar--it is Heavy, with a capital H. Right up there with my two Epi LP's. Not a problem for me, because (1) I'm a beefy guy, and (2) as a home player, I do the vast majority of my playing seated. But it's something to consider for those who are slighter of build, have back/shoulder problems, or just plain don't like heavier solid body guitars. I kind of prefer them heavier--makes 'em feel more serious in your hands, if you know what I'm sayin'--kind of a sonic weapon!! :rockon:

Gil Janus
December 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Humm, now DVM you have awoken my GAS which I had put into a frozen sleep and limited to only a few items - one of which is a Squier CV Tele.

But, but, the pictures, your descriptions, have :poke: my GAS. I've been resolved that I would get a new amp first (the Fender Super Champ XD), and then, and only then, think about a new guitar. And now you have awoken the monster who needs to be kept frozen :thwap:

I dread the to be posted clips - it might make me re-arrange my GAS list :messedup:

:reallymad: you and the fine folks at GFS

Gil :cool:

Bloozcat
December 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
So far, I only find one notable detracting factor for the guitar--it is Heavy, with a capital H. Right up there with my two Epi LP's.

Sounds like it's made of northern ash rather than southern swamp ash...

duhvoodooman
December 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Sounds like it's made of northern ash rather than southern swamp ash...
I suspect that's it exactly--northern ash or some other variant that is hard as a rock and almost as heavy! I'm exaggerating here a bit, but it is quite the little chunk. The upside is that the hardness & density of the wood really contribute to that characteristic bright Tele tone! To me, that's an absolutely critical quality for the guitar to have. It ain't a Tele if it ain't got that twang!

marnold
December 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
So far, I only find one notable detracting factor for the guitar--it is Heavy, with a capital H. Right up there with my two Epi LP's. Not a problem for me, because (1) I'm a beefy guy, and (2) as a home player, I do the vast majority of my playing seated. But it's something to consider for those who are slighter of build, have back/shoulder problems, or just plain don't like heavier solid body guitars. I kind of prefer them heavier--makes 'em feel more serious in your hands, if you know what I'm sayin'--kind of a sonic weapon!! :rockon:
What's the point in having a Tele if you can't beat an intruder to death with it?

duhvoodooman
December 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
What's the point in having a Tele if you can't beat an intruder to death with it?
'Xactly!! Or, to quote a line I heard used by guitar virtuoso/funnyman Greg Koch, "unleash a sonic blizzard of nails a la Roy Buchanan" to subdue the marauder!

oldguy
December 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
That is a great looking guitar, Vood! I really like the finish, the grain looks beautiful in those pics.:AOK:

duhvoodooman
December 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, it's a very attractive guitar. It's a 3-piece ash body, and the piece on the right side as you face it could be a better match to the other two (it's noticeably lighter), but it's still a nice looking piece. The finish is gorgeous, as is the finish on the XV-870 Strat copy I have. Don't know how they do it at these prices. And they got the tint on the neck exactly right, IMO. It's a happy medium between that blanched maple neck you see on the recent Squiers and the orangish overdone one that the SX's have.

As far as tone and playability go, I'm very impressed with it thusfar. I need to pop the control plate open and have a look at the pots to see the resistance on them and the tone control cap, but this thing has twang for days. No weak and characterless pickups, these! The GFS site notes that the guitar has their “Fat TC Alnico” pickup in the bridge and the matching “Classic TC Alnico” at the neck. And the neck pickup is RW/RP so the middle position is noise canceling.

duhvoodooman
December 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
As I suspected, when I got under the hood, the pots were 500K's rather than the 250K's I prefer with single coils. That accounted for the guitar sounding a little brittle on the top-end when the treble was rolled up. So I changed those to 250K's today, with one being a push-pull pot that I wired to put the two pickups in series. Thought the guitar sounded good before, but this is a noticeable improvement--a tad rounder and smoother sounding. Lots of punch, though, especially when the two p'ups are in series. I'll have to get a clip posted....

oldguy
December 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I hope you do! I wanna hear that puppy!:D

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Ok, we have been patient. I wants me a proper review and some clips! ;) I am really drooling over the 52 reissue looking one. The trans-ash honey they have listed is cool too, but with a rosewood fretboard, and I want maple like yours. And you have the darned thing in your avatar too! How do you like the neck? What do you think of the GFS tele pups?

peachhead
January 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Yep, I'd love to hear that sucker. Give me something else to think about when I <ahem> win the raffle.

:thwap: :whatever:

Brian Krashpad
January 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM
How did I miss a Tele thread for weeks?

D'oh!

Congrats!

Since I have a '52 RI, obviously I approve of your choice in color schemes.

F_BSurfer
January 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I don't know if it holds true for the 820's or not but I have had three of the 870's and there was big difference in weight between them
The heaviest was the vintage cream that was stolen its weight was 9lbs 6 oz
The surf green that I gifted to my oldest daughter its weight is 7lbs 2oz
The 3 tone sunburst that I have now is right at 6lbs

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Ok, we have been patient. I wants me a proper review and some clips! ;) I am really drooling over the 52 reissue looking one. The trans-ash honey they have listed is cool too, but with a rosewood fretboard, and I want maple like yours. And you have the darned thing in your avatar too! How do you like the neck? What do you think of the GFS tele pups?
Nolo contendere, counselor. I am definitely remiss in not providing more information and a clip or two. I stand duly chastised. Will try to get something up in the next few days--certainly by the weekend.

I can tell you by way of "executive summary" that, while it has it's drawbacks (weighs a ton, as I previously mentioned, and the tuners could definitely be better), it's strengths far outweigh these minor faults and it's still just a SUPERB value at $179 + shipping. About the only people I would wave off the XV-820 ash body version would be those who play standing up for long periods and are either slight of frame or have back problems. The weight could be a real issue for those folks. Otherwise, GO FOR IT!! :AOK: :dude: :AOK:

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I don't know if it holds true for the 820's or not but I have had three of the 870's and there was big difference in weight between them
The heaviest was the vintage cream that was stolen its weight was 9lbs 6 oz
The surf green that I gifted to my oldest daughter its weight is 7lbs 2oz
The 3 tone sunburst that I have now is right at 6lbs
The issue with the XV-820 I have is the ash body, I'm sure. The XV-870 Strat copy I have is a Poplar body, I believe, and it's a relatively light guitar.

sunvalleylaw
January 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks DVM! That gives me something to think about. You like the neck well enough then? And the pups? I will look forward to the clips. I am not shopping for a long while anyhow.

Duff49
April 27th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Vood,

That butterscotch looks cool and the color change at the splice gives it a character; the "mark of the craftsman", that makes things special.

Do you still have that Xavier tele? You changed the pots to two fifties. Did you do any other mods. I'd love to put a vintage humbucker in the neck on that, Keith Richards style like on my Peavey Generation EX Vintage. That makes a nice sounding tele. Is the body routed in the neck pup position for an HB?

How do you like the headstock shape? I imagine the SX headstock would take some getting used to as well. I like the Peavey one without any having to get used to it. My new Peavey Zodiac bass has the same Peavey style headstock as the Peavey tele's do and I like them. Cool P J bass as well; black body, red tortoise shell pickguard and rosewood board. Super great tone.

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010057.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010060.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010058.jpg
Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

From Lake George

Brian Krashpad
April 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Duff, your Peavey Tele above reminds me of my Fender Tex-Mex:

http://static.flickr.com/25/64208937_f659426fdf.jpg

Duff49
April 30th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Krash,

Nice guitar. It is remarkable how similar they look. The Peavey is really well built, solid alder body, brass saddles, great stock pickups; the HB is vintage voiced and combines with the bridge well. It is an awesome sounding tele.

How does yours sound? Stock pups?

Duffy

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Yes, the Tex-Mex is stock. The neckbucker on it splits, so the switching is 5-way rather than 3-way. Lots of tones.

I got it used for $125 w/non-Fender gigbag.

duhvoodooman
April 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I got it used for $125 w/non-Fender gigbag.
Man, I don't know how you do it, Krash. You've gotten some of the best guitar deals I've ever heard of.... :thwap: :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Man, I don't know how you do it, Krash. You've gotten some of the best guitar deals I've ever heard of.... :thwap: :AOK:

That'un was a karmic tale worthy of "My Name is Earl."

Seller listed it for $300 in the local newspaper classifieds.When I got to his place to check it out, it only had 5 strings on it, and he said it was the similar, yet more expensive California Series Fat Tele. He'd sanded the "Made in Mexico" off the back of the headstock-- but not the serial number. Dumb-*ss. So it still had the NM serial number on the back, plus it didn't say "California Series" on the circular end of the front of the headstock.

So I knew that whatever it was, it was not what he represented it to be. And I walked.

I didn't throw out the ad with his phone number though.

I called the number a couple weeks later, and asked if it was still for sale. I said I'd take another look at it-- IF he had a FULL set of strings on it and something to play it through. While giving me directions to his new place, he then proceeded to tell me a woeful tale of his money problems and how his roommates had skipped out on the rent and what dire straits he was in as a result.

That last bit wasn't such a good idea. If you're going to try cheating me the first time you try selling something to me, it's better not to tell me how you're hurting for money when I offer to take a second look. Like I said, dumb-*ss.

So I got there, played it, and told him I already had a Tele and didn't need a second one, but I'd buy it for $125 cash, take it or leave it. He already knew I had no qualms about walking, so that was that.

One of my favorite gear deals evah. :AOK:

Duff49
April 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I have learned that if you are patient you can find some awesome deals and great used deals as well.

If you are mono minded about getting just one specific guitar often you have to pay top dollar. I have done this often in the past. Lately I see awesome deals that get my attention and I try to get in on them and I have greatly enhanced my guitar and bass collection.

Plus I mod things.

My new Crate Palomino V32 two twelve in spkr replacement amp, B stock, replacing my not fixable new style V50; not anytime soon because the switching power supply fix won't be available for one to two months, plus installation time, plus who knows how the fix will hold up.

The switching power supplies are printed circuit boards with small components on them, not like conventional power supplies and they have not been proven effective in tube amps despite the aggressive advertising done by Crate with the new style V series already discontinued and being sold to us at the great close out prices; they work in solid state amps though.

Anyway I got the Palomino V32 yesterday with the plastic still on the metal plates. Noticed a bass resonance and saw light thru the back coming thru the right hand speaker near the perimeter: five or six inch tear with a couple perpendicular tears coming off the main tear. Pro tech ordered me a warranty replacement Celestion seventy eighty and advised me that I could mix wood glue with water fifty percent and dip strips of napkin in it and cover the big crack in the speaker, which I did, let it harden for a few hours and cured the glue with a paint stripping heat gun - hey I'm replacing the speaker anyway - and it worked great. A good trick to know if you need to do a quick fix on a ripped speaker on the run or on the road. Sounds adequate and works, but probably not exactly as designed naturally. Wanted a credit toward a Red Fang Eminence but Crate would only send a replacement stock speaker.

But anyway, those Peavey Generation EX tele type guitars are a great deal and sound great if you can still find one. Around here the residual stock is going back up and it's hard to find places with the low close out prices.

Even with the speaker, covered by warranty problem, can you believe I got a Crate Palomino V32 212 in even exchange for the blown up Crate new style V50 I paid 165 for with a coupon, out the door? I think this is a way better amp even with the paper machea speaker mod - ha ha, some mod eh?

Great deal on that Keith Richards style tele. Is that the version/model he plays or is his some special item?

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.