PDA

View Full Version : KISS can rock when they want to

Andy
December 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
..........or mabey not :)

Suhnton
December 19th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Kiss seem to be the regular object of ridicule, but I'm not really sure what the problem is. Maybe it's the makeup, but to me RocknRoll is about performance, and transporting your audience somewhere special for an hour or two of their lives. It's like cinema. I love Al Pacino, but if he showed up in Scarface wearing builder's shorts and a Beefy T, I'd feel so depressed.

I remember when I first heard "I Was Made For Lovin' You" (all those years ago), it made me feel 10 feet tall (instead of the 4'1" I probably was :)) I still feel like that when I hear that tune. To be able to move people with your work/art is a fantastic thing.

Anyway, Merry KISSmas everybody!

hagarfreak33
December 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I love Kiss:master: Always have Even if Gene keeps talking

Kazz
December 30th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Suhnton, funny the song you mention is probably the one that causes the most criticism other than anything off of the "Music From The Elder" recordings. IWMFLY is their first and only attempt at a disco song.

When I think of Kiss I think Detroit Rock City, Beth, Love Gun, Meet You In the Ladies Room, etc

Kiss was the first concert I ever went to in 1979...I was all of 11 years old in the dead of winter and a major snow storm hit while we were inside....my poor mother sucked it up and took me to this concert. For 2 hours I was in shear heaven.

I will admit they have taken alot of heat over the years, but if people would be willing to listen to the music without predjudice you can go all the way back to the first 3 albums and they still compete with the best music of today.

Ro3b
December 30th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Yep. The original lineup could seriously slay. They were why I started playing guitar.

CZzhlhSsLp4

Andy
December 30th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Ace Frehley inspired many a guitar picker;)

hagarfreak33
December 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Ace is and always will be my Favorite-his new cd comes out soon:bravo:
I remember endlessly playing Destroyer and Rock n Roll over till they melted:D

peachhead
December 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I remember being just totally shocked and blown away when I heard my first Kiss album. It was Rock and Roll Over and man, I played the grooves off that thing. Not long after that I discoverd AC/DC. They added a whole new dimension to my music tastes.

Spudman
December 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Kiss Alive was the first Kiss album I heard. Cold Gin, Strutter, Black Diamond, She, Hotter Than Hell. Oh man what memories. I had just discovered girls then.

My friends went to one of their shows and brought back part of a guitar. Cool! Kiss was so mysterious for a long time for me. I never did see them live.

Childbride
December 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM
i kinda sorta met them in july of '96.

that was an awesome concert. :)

[edit: my girlfriend and i were two weeks away from the bar exam... the concert was a welcome diversion. doc mcghee met us in a beer line and traded our tickets in for front row center and we ended up meeting the band backstage briefly]

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2008, 12:04 AM
Junior high, . . . 8 track tape, . . . it rocked. :D I respect Ace for sure.

Suhnton
January 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Junior high, . . . 8 track tape, . . . it rocked. :D I respect Ace for sure.

Those BIG ol' cassettes? That's going back a few years :)

snarph
January 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
You could say they are the precursor to Bucket Head

Suhnton
January 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
You could say they are the precursor to Bucket Head

Are you referring to the costumes?
If so, these guys take the cake:
(I must admit, I have a predilection for The Cheese :))
Lordi
rJeaRCMRlNk

marnold
January 4th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Are you referring to the costumes?
If so, these guys take the cake:
(I must admit, I have a predilection for The Cheese :))
Lordi
I love that they won the usually quite lame Eurovision Song Contest, although I tend to think of them as the pop-metal (and less profane) version of G'War. Although I suppose their clearly going for the Kiss big-show atmosphere.

Andy
January 5th, 2009, 09:50 AM
......"on the day of rockining"? heheh..

Eurovision sure has come a long way since ABBA

Katastrophe
January 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Yep, KISS still rocks... just don't point a laser pointer at Paul Stanley.

It peeves him.

marnold
January 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
......"on the day of rockining"? heheh..

Eurovision sure has come a long way since ABBA
Yep, it's the arockalypse.