June 25th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Here's a tune I did a few months back entitled "Chloe's Song"
Hope you all enjoy it.

http://www.frankaxtell.com/Audio/ChloesSong.mp3

www.frankaxtell.com

jpfeifer
June 25th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Hi Frank,

Great job on this tune. I think that this one is my favorite one that you have posted so far! It sounds kind of Alan Holdsworth-like. I really like the head of the tune, and the chord changes. I have no idea how you come up with chord changes like this, I'd like to understand how to use these kinds of chords myself. I also like you you restate the head after the solo, that works very nicely bringing it to a close. Nice stuff.

-- Jim

FrankAxtell
June 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks so much. Many of my changes are based on the modes. A great way to do this is to know what the IV and V chords of the relative key to the mode you want to be in. Example, lets say you want to play in the G dorian mode ,then think of the IV and V of the relative major of that mode. Since G dorian is the same as F major, find the IV and V of F major or Bb and C triads and superimpose them over a G pedal tone Bb/G and C/G. This creates the perfect G dorian chord vamp. Notice that Bb/G is a Gm7th chord... Gm7 = G, Bb, D, F
Bb triad Bb,D,F. The C triad C, E, G are all in the F major or G dorian scale. Now try improvising over this progression with the G dorian scale.

jpfeifer
June 25th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip on making modal chord progressions. I've been wanting to write some tunes that were more modal just to explore that style of improvising a little more. I've always liked the sound of the Lydian mode, since it sounds kind of dreamy with that #11 over the major sound. I should try to make a tune based on that. The Dorian mode is also very cool. I was working on the George Benson tune "Affirmation" recently and realized what a great example of the Dorian mode it was, at least before it gets to the bridge section.

Thanks again, -- Jim