PDA

View Full Version : Why so few Gibson posts?

Robert
December 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Just wondering. Are Gibbys to expensive maybe? Or are Fender just more popular these days? Or maybe we just happen to not attract Gibson dudes and dudettes?

Just curious. :pancake:

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Because apparently the Stratocaster is the best guitar ever made.

Robert
December 19th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Ahh, you flirting me or what? ;)

R_of_G
December 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I still love my Gibson, more than my Strat. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's the best guitar ever as I still crave a Tele, but I love my ES-135 and very likely always will. Without any effects it has a remarkably cool tone and it takes to effects very well.

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Ahh, you flirting me or what? ;)
Given those two choices, I'd say "what". I've seen your VEINS man!

Blaze
December 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/

Rocket
December 19th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Because 90% of the gab here is all Fender-ish.

Robert
December 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I can talk Gibson all day long if you want?

Should we have a Gibson-only day here? Talk Fender and you get spanked!?

just strum
December 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Since the day I joined I noticed that this forum was geared more towards Fender. It has nothing to do with the way it's set up, just a lot of Fender/Squier.

Personally I prefer Gibson/Epihone over Fender/Squier, but I won't let go of my Strat because it rounds out the group of guitars I have.

If I had a Gibson (read: afford), I would talk Gibson, but I can only talk Epiphone to get close to a Gibson discussion. Someday I will own an ES335 and then I will talk Gibson.

There certainly are enough Gibson/Epi people here, just doesn't generate the discussion for some reason.

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I would love to talk more 335 style, as I would love different things to try with my new Vik. Not a Gibby, but in the ball park. I am particularly interested in working the 4 knobs and how more experienced 4 knobbers like to use said knobs and pick up selector.

I think a lot of people joined after searching for and finding Robert's vids, and those have been Strat or Tele, or Squire '51 vids mostly. I bet that has something to do with it.

Robert
December 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Oh yeah? Blame it on ME, so that's how it's gonna be?! Ganging up on me, are you!? :beer: It's alright, I can take it. :D

Spudman
December 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I can't talk about Gibsons because, get this.....I don't own one. Out of my whole warehouse full of guitars you won't find a Gibson at all. I've never found one that I liked well enough to buy. I've tried many but they never got me off. The necks never felt right to me. Maybe some day when they make a decent Strat copy I might get one.;)

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I am particularly interested in working the 4 knobs and how more experienced 4 knobbers like to use said knobs and pick up selector.
So you're the one trying to flirt with Robert.

My Godin Radiator has 3 knobs. A volume for each pup & a global tone knob.
There is no pup selector switch. I tend to crank either the neck or bridge & add in the other to taste. My taste varies sometimes the other pup is almost all the way up & sometimes it is barely on. You can then back off the one that is maxed to clean things up while altering the tone.

Algonquin
December 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Because apparently the Stratocaster is the best guitar ever made.

Ahh, you flirting me or what?
tot_Ou_tard... you wouldn't happen to be IKEA Kitchen Staff would you?

Robert
December 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Man, algonquin remembers EVERYTHING! You scary, man!

street music
December 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Robert , I would like to own a 335 but $$$$$$ is the main reason for not owning one. I have been to the factory store and played on several of the demos , nothing jumped out at me other than the 335. I like a good sounding guitar that I can afford to learn on.

Andy
December 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I love my gibson and anyone thats played it loves it too.
If you "really" want a les paul I'm sure there's one out there for you, no sense in trying out a bunch to no avail If you really don't like them to begin with.. thats ok

As far as discussing it ,well most discussions here revolve around "chimey" singlecoils thru a fender-ish amp blues licks.
I wish I had a nickle for every time "chimey " has been posted here.
if "chimey" is all that matters than fender is the way to go

Not going to get that from a les paul so I just roll with the flow because no one else seems to talk about their Gibsons much.

I've owned a few fenders in my day and like them alot.
I like superstrats too but the general concensus I get is that the majority of regular posters "don't care for pointy guitars" so I don't mention them much either.

I like the company here, thats what I like about this place , I can easilly get my Gibsons and shred machine kicks elsewhere no harm in that.

this place has evolved and gains members no problem ,, keep it up

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Andy don't let the perceived preferences of the Fretters stop you from talking about what you like. Open discussion of all types of guitars is good for this place.

Pretty soon new Fretters will be of the opinion that people here just like guitars period.

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
As far as discussing it ,well most discussions here revolve around "chimey" singlecoils thru a fender-ish amp blues licks. . . .

this place has evolved and gains members no problem ,, keep it up

Andy, I am a pretty new player still and started with my strat. So to a certain extent, it is all I know. I know I have used that chimey word on at least one occasion. I am just getting to know my Viking, with its more 335 style. I hope to keep evolving as a player. It is why I like to talk about it with others that have more and different experience than I have. I sure welcome some more discussion so I can get more ideas on how to find out what my non-strat guitar can do.

just strum
December 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Maybe if we had a 335 style section? I'm not sure what would generate the or stimulate the discussion. I've brought up my Dot in the Epi forum and discussed 335 style versatility, but one or two responses and it dies.

I don't think it's so much Viking, Gibson, or Epi that need to be discussed, but style of guitar.

Another thought, how about a section for hollow body and semi hb guitars?

I'm just throwing thoughts out. I think the hb and semi hb section might be something to consider.

ZMAN
December 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Now you are talking. I hear this all the time. "I can't afford a Gibson" I could never understand that. The guys here I won't mention any names have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on many many guitars. I think all anyone has to do is just say I want a Gibson. Then go out and get one. I recently purchased a Gibson LP Standard in mint conditon for 1400 Canadian. I also purchased an ES335 from a friend for 2 grand. That one was paid over 4 months. I also purchased an 08 Gibson Studio for 1099 brand new. I have owned a Gibson SG for 40 years.
Epiphones are really close and for the buck they do give you a very close Gibson experience. I just don't know how to describe it but the Gibson just sound and seem to play better. Although my Elitist LP Custom is 98% there.
I have a bunch of Fender Strats and I like them as well but the Gibsons are just sweet.
For the record I am not a rich man and I am retired living on a fixed income.

marnold
December 19th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I like superstrats too but the general concensus I get is that the majority of regular posters "don't care for pointy guitars" so I don't mention them much either.
Yeah, I think you, Mage, and I are the official "Pointy Club of TheFret." Of course, I don't actually have a pointy guitar, mind you. Someday . . .

tjcurtin1
December 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hmmm... it's never struck me particularly that this was 'Fender place'. I enjoy the range of discussion about different guitars - electric and acoustic - guitar playing, music, toilet paper..... I tend to read from the 'latest posts' page and never have really read by sections, so hadn't noticed that perhaps there are fewer Gibson posts, looked at that way.

Spudman
December 19th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Do we have an Ibanez forum? If we do I can certainly do some posting there. :pancake:

I have an Agile and 2 Epiphone LPs and they all play really nice. They just get really heavy to gig with. And for the record - I've never used that certain word that Andy says everyone uses. Come on guys get a little more creative with your words would ya. Think onomatopoeia. :D My Strats scree bloing.:rockon:

oldguy
December 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I guess I just think of this place as a guitar forum. That's why I (long ago) posted video of my Switch Innovo. 2 EMG Select pickups, Wilkinson trem, etc.etc............
I also love my Agile LP with the WCR pickups. It plays and sounds as good or better than the Gibson LP's I've owned.
The one thing I've really become aware of over the years is no matter what guitar/amph/effects I buy or play.......... it always comes back to my playing, technique, touch.
I can tell the difference in the strings, picks, volume, eq, room size/shape, and other aspects of my playing, where I couldn't at one time.
I still struggle with phrasing, overplaying, and other aspects of "getting it right", as far as what I want to hear, but it's all good, I'm still learning, and I find new ideas and inspiration here daily.
Am I far enough off-topic yet?:D
Here's my point........ no matter what you play, no matter what you spend dollar-wise, you will have to let your ears be your guide.........
What do you want to hear? How do you want it to sound?
If you can't answer that, a half-million dollar '59 flametop won't help you achieve your goals. If you can answer that, you're on your way, no matter what gear you have, what it costs, who crafted it, you will find your voice.
It's about what's best for you, not what's best.
Now go get it.:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just strum
December 20th, 2008, 07:51 AM
The guys here I won't mention any names have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on many many guitars. I think all anyone has to do is just say I want a Gibson. Then go out and get one.

My electrics total $850 out of pocket, so you are not referring to me. Plus, the people (like me) that say they want an ES335 or whatever are just expressing a desire, not their only desire or all their desires. So, you are right they could go out and get one if they really has to have one, but they would have to put their other desires on the back burner. It all comes down to decisions, decisions, decisions.

I figure I will end up with one if a great deal falls into my lap and it will eventually.

syo
December 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I can't talk about Gibsons because, get this.....I don't own one. Out of my whole warehouse full of guitars you won't find a Gibson at all. I've never found one that I liked well enough to buy. I've tried many but they never got me off. The necks never felt right to me. Maybe some day when they make a decent Strat copy I might get one.;)

Same here. I have tried to buy a Gibson several times but always wound up finding something I liked better (for invariably less). Years ago I was determined to buy an LP as my second guitar. Tried every one in the shop and then (I guess to clear my palate) picked up a Tele that was just instantly perfect and walked out with that. I still like the idea of a Gibson, just haven't found one. Yet.

am particularly interested in working the 4 knobs and how more experienced 4 knobbers like to use said knobs and pick up selector.

I've got an Eastwood Airline 3P DLX that has (at last count) 7 knobs and a 5-way switch. I think this guitar is the graduate course for experienced 4 knobbers. I spend more time fiddling with knobs than playing, but it's a fun guitar when I actually get around to playing it.:)

And Robert, in response to your original post, I do think that Gibsons are generally too expensive, for what you get. As to why there are almost 4 to 1 Fender to Gibson threads, maybe Fender sells 4 times as many? Just a thought...

R_of_G
December 20th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Price is definitely a limiting factor. As much as I knew I wanted my ES-135, I also knew I was unlikely to be able to afford to buy it for myself. I am lucky enough to have generous parents who purchased it for me as a college graduation gift.

Algonquin
December 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I can talk Gibson all day long if you want?
'If you buy it... they will come'

ZMAN
December 20th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Yes JS it is all about prorities. I never spent a lot of money over the years on vacations and travel. I have been in the same home for 35 years. My hobbies were cars and guitars. I have slowly over the last 10 years worked at my dream of owning one of every Gibson. I still have a couple of Jazz boxes to get down the road. I like my Strats as well, but I am just a Gibson guy. I just love those humbuckers!

just strum
December 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Z, I certainly wasn't disputing you, just clarifying my position as it relates to the "want" of a ES335. I do agree that if you really want it, it is attainable. However, if the income and priorities are issue, than you just have to recognize what's important.

My problem with obtaining (saving) for an ES335 - other priorities (known and yet to be known) and as I save for an ES335, a $300 or $400 deal comes along:thwap:

As for humbuckers:AOK:

duhvoodooman
December 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Price is definitely a limiting factor.
+1. I'd love a genuine Gibson LP Std. or Custom, and I could certainly afford one. It's just that I choose not to drop $2500 - $3000 on a single instrument. In my world (married, one income, two kids, one in college), I consider that overpriced. But I did manage $700 for an Epi Elitist LP Std. on a closeout deal at MF 3 years ago, and after putting in better pickups (the only weak point of the guitar, IMO), I'll put it up against anything Gibson cranks out here in the US (Custom Shop instruments excepted).

hubberjub
December 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I lean more towards Gibson style guitars, I own two. I think Gibson is overpriced and has relatively poor quality control. My Les Paul had an amazing amount of orange peel in the finish. I now value Gibsons more for their contribution to guitar design and history than I value their current product.

warren0728
December 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM
i love my gibson les paul special....it is one of my favorite guitars....i really want a gibson les paul standard....but i haven't been able to justify spending the bucks right now....but i will get one....someday....

just strum
December 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Here is an example of why one never seems to get to the Gibson dream. My daughters car won't stay running and preliminary diagnosis = IAC valve = $270 in parts and a little more for an ohmmeter.

I just never ends.

ZMAN, why don't you drive on down and I'll turn on the heater in the garage.:poke:

LagrangeCalvert
December 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I love My faded SG....its my go-to guitar for just about everything. Also I love my Epiphone Special.....it has a crapload of stuff I have done to it and it fits me. I think Gibbys are a different feel, and thats why on this forum its not as talked about.....I see more strat style guitars on this board than anything else.
Why? I do not know....Hell I could be wrong and wouldn't mind being wrong. I'm a gibson guy all the way. I love strats and tele's but they don't do it for me like a sg or paul does....

ZMAN
December 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM
JUSTSTRUM: I'd love to when I get out of my driveway. The plow hasn't been around yet and it stopped snowing at 6 P.M. yesterday. I have my 80 by 20 Driveway down to the pavement but cars are getting stuck on the street. More on the way tomorrow.
Hey JS I know life comes at you fast. It just seemed when my kids left home and I retired a lot of disposable imcome suddenly became available. And I am pretty frugal in my purchases. I only paid 2000 for my 335 because it belonged to my best friend and he came on some hard luck. I paid him what he paid for it in 1990 I probably paid 500 too much but I paid him in lumps over a 4 or5 month period. not so tough then. It was almost new in the box condition. It was rarely played and had never been intonated or set up properly. I had my tech work his magic on it.
Voodooman: I am surprised you changed the pickups. My Epi Elitist has the exact same pickups as the Studio. They have the same output readings and are USA pickups labelled for Epi. I have the Custom with all the bling. I got it on a close out as well at MF for 799. I had it delivered to my daughters in Maine and on my next visit picked it up. I agree with you 100% they are as nice as a Gibson. I love the neck on mine. It has a very nice low action. The only flaw was the usual Epi pickup selector switch. A lot of guys start looking at pickups when it is the cheap 8 dollar switch. Since then it has been perfect. I have replaced 4 out of 5 Epi switches.
I even wrote a letter to Epiphone complaining. The really good switches are like 20 dollars.
I have 4 Gibsons and never had a problem with a switch.
I would not pay 2500 for an LP either the most I paid was 1400 bucks.
One thing though guys. If your finances are secure through this recession keep and eye out for bargains. I have seen a huge increase in sales of high end guitars and amps that people HAVE to give up to live. I know it is sad but opportunity is there.

just strum
December 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Uhhh, Z you didn't say anything about the invite to help me work on my daughters car.:poke:

ZMAN
December 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry JS the first paragraph was your answer. The plow finally came and of course put 3 feet of Glacier ice in my driveway. I just got in from blowing it away with my 10.5 horse blower and some dynamite. It took me a little longer because I helped a couple of my neighbours out. I barely had enough strength to uncap a beer and after my nap it was too late.

ZMAN
December 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Two reason why I play Gibsons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplN4pm1MSE

oldguy
December 20th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Two reason why I play Gibsons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplN4pm1MSE

Now there's two mighty good reasons, ZMAN!:D
I have, over the years (and years ago), owned a goldtop LP deluxe and a cherry sunburst LP custom, plus an SG and a mahogany re-issue flying V, and they were all great guitars. Tough times and a divorce forced me to sell them one by one, if only I could have kept them, and known what they'd be worth today............:thwap:

But to be honest, if I still had each of them, it probably wouldn't be long before I'd be checking the trade in value on the new EVH Wolfgang when it comes out.:thwap: :confused: :rotflmao:
:D

just strum
December 20th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Sorry JS the first paragraph was your answer. The plow finally came and of course put 3 feet of Glacier ice in my driveway. I just got in from blowing it away with my 10.5 horse blower and some dynamite. It took me a little longer because I helped a couple of my neighbours out. I barely had enough strength to uncap a beer and after my nap it was too late.

I ignored the first paragraph, you're Canadian and that is just a dusting. It's not like you live in Waco where the threat of snow shuts everything down for a week.

The fact that you barely had strength to open a beer is your only reprieve. A person in that condition should get to a hospital or even better a bar where they will open them for you.

ZMAN
December 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
OLDGUYYes: Those things can really put a dent into your collecting. Divorce I mean. I was lucky enough to hang on to all of mine, including my wife.
I didn't want to mention it but she is the real reason I am in the position to buy these guitars. She had a great job and an even greater pension.
That Cherry sunburst Custom, was it the infamous clown burst? I had an Epi Version of it and it was a very nice guitar. I didn't know about the clown burst logo until recently.
I would love a Gold top. In fact I think That will be my big purchase in 2009.
What did the Deluxe sound like with the mini humbuckers.
I have seen several for sale recently and I was reluctant to buy them because of the minis.
I have always wondered what it would be like to play a flying V. Albert was my hero and I just could not understand why he chose that guitar. It probably was the playing position for his huge long arms.

ZMAN
December 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Juststrum: I am a Canadian but a spoiled one. Our area never seems to get hit. We have the lakes on both side but we seem to miss the heavy snow.
This one was the first of the year.
My daughter went to school in North Carolina and she said it hilarious. There was 1/2 inch of snow and she had to drive all the girst cars out of the parking lot because they could not back them up.
So I guess you will have to pull the repair off yourself. If you need any help just email and I will talk you through it.
I will be upstairs playing my Gibson.

just strum
December 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM
So I guess you will have to pull the repair off yourself. If you need any help just email and I will talk you through it.
I will be upstairs playing my Gibson.

I'm upstairs playing my Epi's;) - I told my daughter she can use her brothers car.

oldguy
December 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
OLDGUYYes: Those things can really put a dent into your collecting. Divorce I mean. I was lucky enough to hang on to all of mine, including my wife.
I didn't want to mention it but she is the real reason I am in the position to buy these guitars. She had a great job and an even greater pension.
That Cherry sunburst Custom, was it the infamous clown burst? I had an Epi Version of it and it was a very nice guitar. I didn't know about the clown burst logo until recently.
I would love a Gold top. In fact I think That will be my big purchase in 2009.
What did the Deluxe sound like with the mini humbuckers.
I have seen several for sale recently and I was reluctant to buy them because of the minis.
I have always wondered what it would be like to play a flying V. Albert was my hero and I just could not understand why he chose that guitar. It probably was the playing position for his huge long arms.

I haven't heard of the clown burst myself......tell us about it if you don't mind.
As for the gold top......... I didn't care much for the mini's, to be honest, plus the neck wasn't stable....it had to be adjusted constantly, and never stayed in tune..........I had the same prob. w/ a '72 Strat (twisted neck), so I'm not singling out Gibby's, I just got a couple of lemons back then.
The V was a nice guitar, lightweight, killer sound, cool to look at. It just wasn't me, or for me, at the time. I sold it to a guy I knew who played in a hard rock/punk band at the time. He went on to become a hairdresser and I don't know what happened to the V.:D :D :D

warren0728
December 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Those things can really put a dent into your collecting. Divorce I mean. I was lucky enough to hang on to all of mine,

i held on to my guitars....but that was about all.... :thwap:

ZMAN
December 20th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Old Guy: The clown burst was a Cherry sunburst that got a very bright paint job. They were referred to as clown bursts. I am not sure of the years but these are a few examples. I had the Epi version.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/2003EpiLesPaul.jpg

This is the Gibson Version. You can see the bright colors
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/266883119-1-1.jpg

Another Gibson version.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/DSCN5294.jpg

oldguy
December 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM
O.K., I see. Yep, mine was very bright, but had very little woodgrain to speak of.
It was the LP I should have held on to, and still miss.
I have to say, tho, that my Agile LP actually plays and sounds better.......whether it will stand the test of time is another thing, but with the WCR pickups and ebony fretboard, it's every bit as good as that Custom was. Plus I prefer the honeyburst finish because it shows some really nice woodgrain.
All I need to do now is bang it around enough to knock off the edges, put some cigarette burns in it, sweat on it 'till the hardware rusts, and I'll be all set!:AOK: :AOK:

:thwap:

Katastrophe
December 21st, 2008, 07:04 AM
I don't post about Gibbies because I don't own any, and can't afford 'em. My LP purchase will have to be from Rondo.

I love talking about 'em though. We do have a fairly big SG thread, and Plank's LPs are completely drool worthy :master: . I've played a few Gibbies and Epis, and I like 'em!

Kazz
December 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
This seems to be at least to me....a less pretentious bunch....the kind that looks for the most bang for the buck therefore we tend to look towards the bargain lines instead of the over priced and seemingly (at least at times) quality challenged Gibson's

just strum
December 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm sure they are out there, but I have yet to pick-up a Gibson that I thought had quality issues. I've picked up a lot I didn't like based on neck or design (LP, Flying V...). I'm not sure where all these tales of quality issues are coming from and I tend to think it's a bandwagon effect.

ZMAN
December 21st, 2008, 08:17 AM
Kazz I guess I am a little bit of both. I have 5 Squiers that I bought for under 1300 dollars total. I also have an American 50th Ann. Deluxe that I paid 1500 Can. For. I don't really condsider myself "pretentious" because over the last 12 years I have scraped together a few Gibsons.
As far as Gibsons being poorly built I have not run into that. My new 2008 Studio is an amazing guitar. Beautiful Fireburst finish, which is really only 3 color burst in Fender language. It is chambered and had a lovely tone.
I purchased that one because our Canadian dollar was at par with the US and I was able to get it 300 off the US price.
I have run into countless problems with budget guitars, and my feeling is that every guitar no matter what it is needs a good set up out of the box
Too many people try a guitar out and it doesn't feel right so they think it is inferior. I try to see the potential after the set up.
I took me 10 years before I got my first Gibson LP, and less than a year to get my second one. That one was used and very reasonably priced.
I feel extremely lucky that I have the support of a wife of 40 years that allows me to live my dreams.

Brian Krashpad
December 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Now you are talking. I hear this all the time. "I can't afford a Gibson" I could never understand that. The guys here I won't mention any names have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on many many guitars. I think all anyone has to do is just say I want a Gibson. Then go out and get one. I recently purchased a Gibson LP Standard in mint conditon for 1400 Canadian. I also purchased an ES335 from a friend for 2 grand. That one was paid over 4 months. I also purchased an 08 Gibson Studio for 1099 brand new. I have owned a Gibson SG for 40 years.
Epiphones are really close and for the buck they do give you a very close Gibson experience. I just don't know how to describe it but the Gibson just sound and seem to play better. Although my Elitist LP Custom is 98% there.
I have a bunch of Fender Strats and I like them as well but the Gibsons are just sweet.
For the record I am not a rich man and I am retired living on a fixed income.

I hope you don't mean any one person here has spent tens of thousands on their guitars! If so, I think they're lurking only. Spuds has a batch to be sure, but quite a few of those are relatively inexpensive ones, and same with me. I added up once and my guitars cost me under $5K iirc.

I do have a couple Gibbies, but they ARE more expensive than a lot of other brands. Typically at most I may have 2 or three Benjies in my gear contingency fund, but never over $500. This makes it tough for me to buy Gibsons because I only buy when I run across a good deal.

ZMAN
December 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Brian: I am a retired accountant. Math is my thing. I wasn't referring to anyone special but if I WAS referring to Spud And I am not saying this in a negative way what so ever, I don't know the total count but I have heard upwards of 50 guitars. Even at 200 dollar average what is the number? I am sure there are other guys here who have spent in that range on their total collection of guitars.
Remember I have been in the hobby since 1969, and have recently taken it more seriously in the last 12.
Also I didn't set out to have a large collection of guitars it just happened. LOL
Oh and Brian I don't know how old you are but from your pictures I would say you have a lot of years of "collecting" ahead of you.

Andy
December 21st, 2008, 10:08 AM
here's a couple pics of my 85 standard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/stymye/Les%20Paul/gibby.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/stymye/Les%20Paul/lp.jpg

Robert
December 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Stop posting such cool LP pics - makes me want to go out and buy one! :eek: :D

I will get one though, one day. Count on it. It just might take a while.

warren0728
December 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM
that's a real beauty andy.... :drool:

a gibson lp standard is definitely in my future....my gibby lp special needs a friend! :pancake:

Spudman
December 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Brian: I wasn't referring to anyone special but if I WAS referring to Spud And I am not saying this in a negative way what so ever, I don't know the total count but I have heard upwards of 50 guitars. Even at 200 dollar average what is the number? I am sure there are other guys here who have spent in that range on their total collection of guitars.

You is correct there. I know I've got more than 10K in just guitars. There are only about 5 that I haven't gigged with so they have been worth the investment for sure. 2 of those are for investment purposes only.

All that said, I wouldn't spend the money on a Gibson or a PRS because I haven't found one I like yet and I've been looking a long time. I've found more Korean guitars that light me up than anything. They just feel and sound right to me. Maybe if Gibson had a Korean factory...oh wait they do (sort of). Maybe that's why I have 2 Epiphone Les Pauls and an older Agile LP? :)

If I were to spend 5K, or price similar to an upper end Gibson, on any guitar it would definitely be a Jet. I'm glad some folks like their Gibsons but their electrics don't do it for me. Now their acoustics....:AOK:

ZMAN
December 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Andy what a sweet looking burst. An 85 I bet she sounds sweet. How much does she weigh? I have one of the newer chambered ones and an older weight relieved model and there are very different in tone. Those must be the PAF pickups. It is amazing how the lighting affects the look. In the second picture it looks like a dessert burst.

ZMAN
December 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hey Spudman I love those Korean guitars as well. I have owned quite a few.
The nicest playing LP I ever had was the Epi Custom plus. My Korean Sammick made Sheraton is one amazing guitar. I also own a Fender Esprit.
They were a reissue of the Robben Ford Elite series. Set neck double cutaway with a chambered body. That is a very nice guitar as well.
Robert are you suhr you want to buy a Les Paul. I seem to remember you changed the 12 inch radius neck on your Deluxe Player. It takes some getting used to switching back and forth.

Andy
December 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Andy what a sweet looking burst. An 85 I bet she sounds sweet. How much does she weigh? I have one of the newer chambered ones and an older weight relieved model and there are very different in tone. Those must be the PAF pickups. It is amazing how the lighting affects the look. In the second picture it looks like a dessert burst.

Zman thanks, yes it's a good one, the pickups are Tim Shaw pafs. very nice sounds from them and it plays like a dream. the best guitar I've ever owned as far as playability and tone.

the guitar has darkened over time,I figure because I have kept it in the case for most of the time it's not being played. I purchased it a couple years old (used). there are some great used deals out there on these , if someone is complaining about the price of Gibsons thay are not trying too hard. I see deals all the time on used les pauls.theres no shortage of them.

I've never weighed it, I need to do that sometime, people always ask about it
I do know,I've played much heavier ones.

Robert
December 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Zman, yeah I think the neck issue I had with that one was more the chunkiness with the neck and not the radius per se.

I'd like a LP one day so I can be cool as you guys.

Rocket
December 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
There ya go!

oldguy
December 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
That's a gorgeous guitar, Andy!:AOK:

Here's the one I play.............

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_115494e96534be54.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=867)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_115494e965373f87.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=868)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_115494e96539a8da.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=869)

ZMAN
December 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
That is the Agile? Very nice looking guitar. I think you mentioned the ebony neck. If I remember correctly they have a pretty flat radius in the neck something like 13.5. I looked at them and they keep changing their stock.
Does the agile fit in a regular gibson style case?

just strum
December 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Zman, yeah I think the neck issue I had with that one was more the chunkiness with the neck and not the radius per se.

Robert, we have to get you behind a semi HB. You will pop a vein once it's in the collection.

oldguy
December 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
That is the Agile? Very nice looking guitar. I think you mentioned the ebony neck. If I remember correctly they have a pretty flat radius in the neck something like 13.5. I looked at them and they keep changing their stock.
Does the agile fit in a regular gibson style case?

Yes. After you play it 5 min. you wouldn't notice it, tho.
And yes, and it came w/ the WCR's, a really nice Gibson hardshell case, and cheaper than the Epi............otherwise I would've bought and Epi and upgraded the pickups.

ZMAN
December 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM
I just checked, those WCR pickups are pretty pricey. What set are in it.
They sound like they are pretty cool. Hand wired and are supposed to be very vintage sounding.
Sounds like the previous owner was after a real Vintage tone and looks.
I would love to know how they do it for the price at Rondo!

oldguy
December 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM
I just checked, those WCR pickups are pretty pricey. What set are in it.
They sound like they are pretty cool. Hand wired and are supposed to be very vintage sounding.
Sounds like the previous owner was after a real Vintage tone and looks.
I would love to know how they do it for the price at Rondo!

These are the Crossroads, they sound like vintage P.A.F.'s to me.
Yeah, the previous owner had this 3000 on E-bay for $600 buy-it-now
and I couldn't buy the guitar, the pickups, and the case for that
individually, so I bought it. The Gibby case is one of the nice ones with
the pink cover that goes over the top of the guitar.......my wife
really liked that, for some reason.........:D

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154842afa25d3fd.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=509)

ZMAN
December 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Yes I have a couple of those tan cases with the pink inside. They are quite expensive for the case alone. It adds a vintage touch. They are nicknamed the "Brown Lady" cases. You can figure out the symbolism.
Sounds like a real good deal.

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2008, 04:43 PM
.......my wife

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154842afa25d3fd.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=509)

I think the Gibby-guys are really moved by the guitar lying in those venusian folds. ;)

Blaze
December 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
here's a couple pics of my 85 standard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/stymye/Les%20Paul/gibby.jpg

My god , what a beautiful guitar ....:master:

R_of_G
December 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM
The Gibby case is one of the nice ones with
the pink cover that goes over the top of the guitar.......my wife

When I got my ES-135 I think my wife liked the case more than the guitar. :)

I posted it before, but for the sake of this thread, here is a pic of the guitar again, not in its case but on my couch.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/853473c4b504c144.jpg

oldguy
December 22nd, 2008, 05:08 AM
Very sweet instrument, RofG! That is a beautifully executed sunburst on that guitar, I like it!:AOK:

R_of_G
December 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks OG. I love it. Not only does it play beautifully, but when I am not playing it, it hangs on the wall and becomes a piece of artwork.

sunvalleylaw
December 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
That is a truly beautiful guitar. I love a well done sunburst. Very nice!

R_of_G
December 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
I wish the pic didn't make it look like the finish has a blemish on it (highlighted in pic below). It's just a trick of the light. The guitar isn't "vintaged" in any way.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2gydgzr.jpg

Jimi75
December 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
I would assume that there is no certain reason why so much Fender talk is going on here. We have a lot of people here, too that own a Gibson or a gibsonstyle guitar, me included and I don't feel like posting that much on my Paul. Maybe there are more poeple in this world starting out on a Fender guitar than on a Gibson guitar and you know....old love never rusts.

....did someone say Strat....:master: ....

Andy
December 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
they both are great... even Hendrix played several Gibsons,...
les pauls,sg's,V's.
both in the studio and on the stage.

just strum
December 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I would assume that there is no certain reason why so much Fender talk is going on here. We have a lot of people here, too that own a Gibson or a gibsonstyle guitar, me included and I don't feel like posting that much on my Paul. Maybe there are more poeple in this world starting out on a Fender guitar than on a Gibson guitar and you know....old love never rusts.

....did someone say Strat....:master: ....

Maybe due to the entry level price of both Squier and Fender, people are more apt to start out with one, especially the Strat that is so commonly copied as well. I started with a Squier Strat although it was not my favorite guitar, but one that was more obtainable and more prevalent on the low end of the cost scale.

Andy
December 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
this is true ,, I sure couldn't afford a new Les paul, there are so many good guitars to be had for half the cost or less!

Brian Krashpad
December 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Brian: I am a retired accountant. Math is my thing. I wasn't referring to anyone special but if I WAS referring to Spud And I am not saying this in a negative way what so ever, I don't know the total count but I have heard upwards of 50 guitars. Even at 200 dollar average what is the number?

Math is not my thing, but that number would be ~10K. Since you said "tens of thousands" (plural) if the average of his collection is in fact $200/guitar, then you're off by around a factor of 100% (smallest number that'd be "tens of thousands" is 20K), right?

I'm not an accountant and don't really like math. But I am a lawyer, so I like to argue.

;) :D

I am sure there are other guys here who have spent in that range on their total collection of guitars.
Remember I have been in the hobby since 1969, and have recently taken it more seriously in the last 12.
Also I didn't set out to have a large collection of guitars it just happened. LOL
Oh and Brian I don't know how old you are but from your pictures I would say you have a lot of years of "collecting" ahead of you.

Actually, my experience is pretty similar to yours, I started playing (though certainly not collecting) around 1972 or so. I had no more than a handful at most up through the 90's and have only gotten to what I consider somewhat silly numbers (22 electrics, including basses, and a couple acoustics) by steadily creeping up by one or two guitars every year or so in the last decade. I'm not consciously a "collector," but more a player who likes different sounds and looks. Though I'm in a few bands, I'm sure I could get by with a lot fewer than I currently have.

As far as my age goes, I turned 50 in May 2008, so if I'm alloted the Biblical "threescore and ten" I've got about 20 years left.

If my math is correct.

;)

ZMAN
December 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hey Brian I am also a Brian and a Taurus so I like to argue as well. I was using the number as a descripton of more than 5 grand so I probably should have said "Thousands", or more than 10,000. I know for a fact that a lot of guys do not really know how much they actually have tied up in guitars let alone amps and pedals. And probably don't want their wives to know either!
To hear someone in the U.S. say that they can't afford a Gibson seems very strange to us Cannucks. They are so much more expensive here and there aren't a lot to choose from.
Oh and as far as age goes. My Dad is 82 and still plays golf everyday in the season, so I am hoping for 20 more and I am 61.

Kazz
December 23rd, 2008, 05:45 AM
I will admit it....when the finances are there consistently....I will have the $899 Gibson Les Paul natural mahogany....that is about as far as I dare dream with the Gibson name....it had that growl that I love and is reasonably priced way more so than the ones with the really pretty paint jobs.....the paint don't play squat!

feel free to quote that.

Brian Krashpad
December 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
I will admit it....when the finances are there consistently....I will have the $899 Gibson Les Paul natural mahogany....that is about as far as I dare dream with the Gibson name....it had that growl that I love and is reasonably priced way more so than the ones with the really pretty paint jobs.....the paint don't play squat!

feel free to quote that.

There was a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany available locally for $550 recently, but since I already have a couple LP's (and a few other 2xHB mahogany guitars) I balked at spending that much even though I had the cash on hand.

As fate would have it a buddy of mine put a Danelectro Hodad up for under half that. I didn't have anything with lipstick pickups and only one guitar with a Bigsby, so it was a better match for my existing stuff for a lot less dosh.

ZMAN
December 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
I have never played the Les paul in the mahogany finish, but I have played the worn brown mahogany in the SG. It was a really nice guitar, it had the open coil pickups and a decent neck. In fact it really reminded me of my 68 SG. It comes with the Gibson case as well.
I was tempted to get the LP when I found that the newer issues had the Burstbucker pickups in them. I think they were selling for under 1000 Canadian.
I have seen them polished to a high gloss as well and they really look good.

jpfeifer
December 23rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Deep down, I think that I'm actually more of a Gibson guy, although I don't even own a Gibson. Someday, when I find a quality one, and I have lots of cash to spend on it, I'm going to snag one. Probably one of those ES-339 (which look like a great idea to me).

Back in my early years of playing guitar all of my friends had Gibsons (Les Pauls, SG's, 335's) I borrowed a really nice 335 from one of these friends and really liked it, what a sweet tone. But Gibsons were even expensive back then.

After I got into Strats I found that you could get a lot more guitar for your money with them. They seemed to be so much more versatile with the 5-pickup selector, etc. So I kind of moved away from the idea of having a Gibson. But someday I'd like to go for it and get one.

-- Jim

Brian Krashpad
December 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
I have never played the Les paul in the mahogany finish, but I have played the worn brown mahogany in the SG. It was a really nice guitar, it had the open coil pickups and a decent neck. In fact it really reminded me of my 68 SG. It comes with the Gibson case as well.
I was tempted to get the LP when I found that the newer issues had the Burstbucker pickups in them. I think they were selling for under 1000 Canadian.
I have seen them polished to a high gloss as well and they really look good.

An internet buddy of mine polished his, as well as installing a wrap bridge, it's on the right below:

http://www.visi.com/~sstolle/family/the_boys.jpg

ZMAN
December 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I have that wrap bridge on my 1968 SG, it has P90s as well. It has the vibrolo tail piece so I didn't wrap the strings. It is all original. Alot of guys do that with their regular stop piece. They say it gives more sustain. I am not sure on that one. There is very little adjustment with that bridge.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/1968sg.jpg
That Gibson LP looks very familiar my Standard is identical except for the pickups and if I hadn't seen the headstock I would have thought the Gold top was a Gibby.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P9200083.jpg

Brian Krashpad
December 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I have that wrap bridge on my 1968 SG, it has P90s as well. It has the vibrolo tail piece so I didn't wrap the strings. It is all original. Alot of guys do that with their regular stop piece. They say it gives more sustain. I am not sure on that one.

I don't know about more sustain but top-wrapping does change the angle that the strings hit the bridge, and some say it reduces string-break at the bridge as a result. Sometimes, if I remember to, I top-wrap my B and high E strings for that reason.

If I hadn't seen the headstock I would have thought the Gold top was a Gibby.

Yeah, it's an old Agile, before they got the cease and desist letter from Gibson and had to change the horn and headstock.

g6120
January 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
ive been a long time player of gretsch and fender guitars for years and up untill now ive had one gibson a j200 and always thought of getting another so i finally made the decision and bought one .

es 335 sunburst 50th anniversary

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3683071/aview/cs81529_lg1.jpg

thearabianmage
January 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
ive been a long time player of gretsch and fender guitars for years and up untill now ive had one gibson a j200 and always thought of getting another so i finally made the decision and bought one .

That's a very tasty guitar. I must admit - I started out with a Squier for two weeks, then bought a BC Rich Warlock...then another Warlock...Then my Jackson superstrat.

Well, in all honesty, I don't have much experience with Fender or Gibson (I'm skint) but I bought a 335 style guitar recently and it rips! I love it! If this counts in the discussion about Gibsons, then I'm in!

There's just something about them 335's. A lot of people seem to like them, and for good reason, in my opinion! They are very versatile guitars, and that, also in my opinion, is something that Gibson definitely had going for them in the early days, with V's, SG's, LP's, and ES's. They can just about cover the spectrum. You really only need a Strat and Tele after that.

And a warlock :D

Ch0jin
January 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Ahhhhh "Top Wrapping" so thats what you call it.

When I got my BB1200 the strings had been wrapped over the tail piece, you could tell because there were ugly wear marks where the strings had worn into the metal. I kinda wondered why they previous owner (who was a professional touring musician) would have done that, and then changed back. Now I know why I guess. In any case I've since replaced the tail piece for a nice shiny new one and strung it "traditionally".

Back OT though. I am also much, much more a fan of Gibson style guitars than Fenders. The only reason I don't actually have a couple of LP's and/or SG's or a nice HB is because every time I went to buy one, I played a Maton that sounded and felt better. Hence the brother and sister Maton's in my gallery :)

So yeah, bring on the hum bucking "four knobber" (loved that term) discussions, I'm all in :)

Robert
January 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM

Congrats! That's one sweet guitar! :dude:

Brian Krashpad
January 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM

Yum. What a nice guitar. Congrats.

mrmudcat
January 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM
double yum!:beer: