PDA

View Full Version : Larry Carlton

Suhnton
December 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I was just at the hospital (getting treatment for a mild hernia in my neck, but that's another story), and a tune comes on the radio. It was Larry Carlton, and the first part of the main melody was very similar to "Peg" by Steely Dan.
Has anybody heard this tune? Is it his take on "Peg"?

Steve206
December 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I think that Larry played on a few of the Dan records.

Steve

marnold
December 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
He did, most notably on "Kid Charlemagne."

Is this the song you heard? It's "Room 335."
47ysdThtXgw

Suhnton
December 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
That's the one! Thank you good Reverend. I was aware of his association with Steely Dan, but haven't heard a lot of his solo stuff.
That bass player is awesome too, he looks like Curtis Mayfield's twin brother. :)

Fab4
December 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Room 335 was Larry's signature song from his first solo album, and the name of his home studio where he's recorded pretty much all his solo work.

He did a lot of the studio charts for Steely Dan sessions, as well as playing on a lot of songs - Kid Charlemagne, Don't Take Me Alive, everything but the solo on Josie and I think Peg, too. He admitted in a Guitar Player interview after his first album came out that the opening chord progression for Room 335 was pretty much a direct lift from Peg (the last chord of the sequence is a little different.) He's also the soloist on Donald Fagan's solo album, The Nightfly.

Larry has been one of my favorite players for forever. I've seen him a couple of times and he's always astounding. He was supposed to do a concert here in Denver with Robben Ford late last year, but it got canceled and rescheduled for a day I had to be out of town. My buddy went to the show on my ticket and had them BOTH sign a CD for me.:thwap: