PDA

View Full Version : Mexico standard price is exploding

Guitar-Chris
December 20th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Hello!

I took a look at the new Fender Mexico Standard Stratocasters. They changend the headstock logo, that now is in black instead of silver. The plastic parts and the necks now are tintend vintage (looks very good).

But what's that: Instead of 445 Euro (595 USD) for a Stratocaster in sunburst the price is no 535 Euro (716 USD). :confused:

So, I think, to buy my Squier Classic Vibe STrat was really at the right time.

oldguy
December 20th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Yes, it sounds like you bought at the right time, and those are great guitars.:AOK:

markb
December 20th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Wait 'til the rumoured "Road Worn" series arrive. Then you'll see high MIM prices.

Katastrophe
December 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Wait 'til the rumoured "Road Worn" series arrive. Then you'll see high MIM prices.

It's getting a bit ridiculous. A MIM Strat is not worth $595.00, not with the Squiers being made so well these days at $299, or less. A new sticker, neck tinting, and "aged" parts aren't worth the $$$, in my book.

Guitar-Chris
December 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM
It's getting a bit ridiculous. A MIM Strat is not worth $595.00, not with the Squiers being made so well these days at $299, or less. A new sticker, neck tinting, and "aged" parts aren't worth the $$$, in my book.

I second this. When they made the first upgrade of the MIM series with e.g. medium jumbo frets, a better tremolo block and a gigbag the price was nearly the same. Now only for some minor cosmetic changes they want so much more money . I can't understand that.

Btw: The new price of a MIM strat is about 716 USD here in Germany :thwap:

Katastrophe
December 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM
Sorry, Chris. I didn't read the post correctly. :thwap:

You're right, though, the 06 upgrades were worth the extra $30.00 they cost here in the States. My MIM is an 06, and I thought the upgrades were great!

$716.00 is just silly for an MIM.

Brian Krashpad
December 21st, 2008, 08:17 AM
Ach du lieber!

Man, guitars are so much cheaper in the USA. Although I'm sure the price will rise here too.

At this point I almost always buy used anyhow.

Guitar-Chris
December 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Man, guitars are so much cheaper in the USA.

Yes, when I see it right, an actual MIM Standard Strat is about 400 USD, right?

Brian Krashpad
December 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, when I see it right, an actual MIM Standard Strat is about 400 USD, right?

Ja.

The current "street" price at large retailers is $399 USD.

mrmudcat
December 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM
Also sunburst run higher normally.

ZMAN
December 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
I just checked and the Musicians Friend online store lists two versions of the Standard. One is last years with the silver logo and the other must be this years edition. The list prices are 599, and 699 for the latest version.
The new one is selling for 449 to 474 depending on color. The old one is showing 399.
So I guess they put the price up 100 bucks on the list!

Andy
December 21st, 2008, 01:52 PM
It's their best selling guitar, so the price goes up. mabey even drive people to go ahead and spring for and american made. simple economics fender style

just strum
December 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM
You will probably see an initial rise in prices, but I wouldn't buy right now. My feeling is they are going to see slumping sales and be forced to slash prices.

Gibson/Epiphone are or will be putting price increases through, but I think they will find it tough to sell guitars. Epiphone downsized the number of guitars they offer. It will be interesting to see what happens in the guitar world.

Used guitar prices would normally rise, but people are thinning there collection to pay the rent.

I'm filing for bailout money so I can keep mine. I figure I will ask for only a million and it should skate right through for approval.

Geraint Jones
December 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM
I just bought a 3 tone sunburst MiM Roadhouse Strat on Ebay for £400 which would be about $600 US . The clincher for me to win over the wife was a 15 % voucher from ebay which brought it down to about £350 which I`m very pleased with . Only 4 days to go before I can run it through the Marshall , c`mon Santa . I`ve noticed guitar prices on Ebay going down {with a few exceptions which were out of my price range anyway} , but these usually are the busiest 2 weeks for guitar shops so no doubt prices will drop in the new year .

Bilsdragon
December 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
The Langhorne, Pa Guitar Center is selling mim strats for $359 plus tax. Not bad at all for a quality instrument.