PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp

SuperSwede
June 26th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Anyone used one? They rave about it on harmony central and I just happened to find one...

You can see the ad here in swedish, but the picture is enough to understand my fear for a fatal g.a.s attack...

http://www.blocket.se/vi/8619668.htm?ca=21_s

Katastrophe
June 26th, 2006, 02:47 PM
To further complicate the GAS, add this to the pressure buildup. I have NEVER, never heard a bad sounding Mesa/Boogie rig or combo, especially with a clean sound. They are pricey, though...

SuperSwede
June 26th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Neither have I...

I wonder how good the built in speaker sim is on a 20 year old unit..

Robert
June 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I had one. You could have bought mine. I took it to Canada when I moved. I got a power converter thingy but it was so much stuff to haul, and I couldn't get that bluesy tube tone I now have through with my cheap Vox.

Good preamp, but too much 80s sounding for me. I don't "believe" in the preamp+power amp solution - good combos or heads usually sound better to my ears.

SuperSwede
June 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Well I guess I got some mesa/boogie fever.. If you think that the Vox ADxx/tonelab sounds better than the studio preamp then I will be better of without one.

Katastrophe
June 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Well I guess I got some mesa/boogie fever.. If you think that the Vox ADxx/tonelab sounds better than the studio preamp then I will be better of without one.

Yep, modeling technology has increased by leaps and bound over the older stuff...;)

SuperSwede
June 28th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Yeah the ´lab sounds amazing, but I am considering getting a preamp of some kind to further expand the tonal possibilites...

Katastrophe
June 28th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Swede, what are you using for an amph?

SuperSwede
June 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I only use the tonelab... I dont currently own a real amp (well a little champ but I dont count that ;) )