PDA

View Full Version : The V Pick and Some Crow

just strum
December 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Just a quick blurp about these V picks. I received some today and I am going to give my first impression:

I used my Stubby's to do the comparison (1.0m to 3.0mm). Since Stubby's are my favorites, I figured that should be the bar for my personal comparison.

Pro:

The thick ones play a lot easier than what one would expect and to my surprise they do offer a different tone when compared to my Stubby's. The thicker V picks offered a deeper tone. I used the one with the pointier corners and the one with the more rounded corners. I also think that it provides more versatility when it comes to angle of attack. These comments are based on picking notes and little strumming. I will use them for awhile before giving overall comments.

I also received the V-pick Ultra Lite and Lite. Here I noticed little difference and that's not a bad thing considering how much I like my Stubby's.

All are comfortable and as advertised seem to allow you a looser grip (not sure why).

Cons

I'm not sold on value yet, so I am leaving that door open until I have used them a couple of days.

One definite con - Vinni, buy some colored pellet material. These may offer a nice grip, but they do fall and us blind people have a hell of a time finding them when they are more than 3' from our eyes.

Now the crow, you probably thought I was going to admit to having to eat some, well think again.

I was referring to Crowes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_Q19HFQig&feature=PlayList&p=B79A8EACBA710209&index=13

M29
December 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Caw caw caw...

just strum
December 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Caw caw caw...
:rotflmao:

Kazz
December 21st, 2008, 08:32 AM
ok...so I jumped in here to see if Mark was really going to admit to having to eat Crow.......but man.....those Robinson boys really have it....The Black Crowes are true American Rock n Roll at its best. They to this date are still probably the best show I have ever seen...and definitely the best price...at $7.00 to see them play with the Jayhawks opening in Evansville Indiana.....no frills....the stage backdrop and lighthing consisted of cargo netting with the big old style Christmas lights....

ted s
December 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM
I think crows are cool birds, pretty darn smart as well
http://www.wwhd.org/images/crow-wire.jpg
http://video.google.com/videosearch?gbv=2&hl=en&q=raven&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=2#q=crow&hl=en&emb=0

Blaze
December 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
onA2ve3EDWk

sunvalleylaw
December 21st, 2008, 10:38 PM
I played with mine last night and liked them. I thought I noticed a difference right off. As compared to a Fender Heavy, the other pick I had handy, I had less string noise strumming, and my strumming was smoother. Especially with the thicker rounder one. I could see really preferring this pick when I am playing rhythm. The thinner, pointier one was a closer in comparison to my normal Fender heavys and Tortex ones I normally use. The thicker pointier one might be a good compromise pick. It seemed to still be pretty smooth strumming, and felt a bit more accurate and quick for me for lead type picking as compared to the even thicker, more rounded one. I need to continue to play more with them and see, but I am impressed so far.

just strum
December 21st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Steve, I'm getting similar results with the thicker ones, except I like the pointed ones over the rounded one I have, although both have surprised me. The ones I have are of different thicknesses and a couple I didn't see on the website.

Large pointed

Rounded

When it comes to the 0.85 and 1.50, I found them to be no better than my Stubby's and probably would give the edge to the Stubby's possible because I am accustom to them.

As for the thicker ones, I agree they do play smooth and the more I used it, the more control I developed.

As for cost, the thinner ones would not hold much value, at least for now. The thicker ones would be of value, but I will have to break my habit of losing picks at a rather rapid rate. I've already misplaced a couple and because of being clear, I didn't realize they were nearby. I took a Sharpie and put an asterisk on each of them (my idea Vinni, I want a cut if you incorporate that idea)

ted s
December 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Hey, let's get back on topic here, this thread is about crows.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Heckle_and_Jeckle.png

Algonquin
December 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Psst... Those are Magpies :tongue:

Keep on topic will ya!

ted s
December 22nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Ok but..magpies are passerine birds of the crow family, Corvidae.

Corvidae is a cosmopolitan family of oscine passerine birds that contains the crows, ravens, rooks, jackdaws, jays, magpies, treepies, choughs and nutcrackers. The common English name used is corvids (more technically) or the crow family (more informally), and there are over 120 species. The genus Corvus, including the crows and ravens, makes up over a third of the entire family.

compliments of wikipedia

sorry, I'm a little board.
http://www.totallybamboo.com/images/products/20-1310EGD%20Anacapa%20End%20Grain%20Dark.jpg