PDA

View Full Version : First Modification to MIM Strat

MagicBaller21
October 30th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hey, ive got a standard Fender MIM Strat, and well... I'm looking to make it a bit better, without spending a bunch on an American made Strat. I've heard a lot about the Custom Shop '69 pickups, as well as the Callaham Bridge (Mexican Standard Premium Upgrade Kit). They both seem to be approximately the same amount of money too. I know that I would have to have my local guitar shop install the pickups, but I was wondering if I could install the Upgrade Kit myself. I wouldn't want to send my guitar all the way from California to wherever he is located. Which one of these will produce the greatest results (the best bang for my buck).

If either of these are a waste of my money, please tell me :p . Or, I'd like to know any other suggestions to make my guitar better. By the way, I play Blues/Rock/Classic Rock (SRV, Clapton, etc...), and want a good tone for those genres.

EscalonJon
October 30th, 2005, 06:43 PM
My vote would be to go for the '69s....That's the first mod I did on my MIM Vintage 50s Strat. FANTASTIC pickups! Smooooth and full with great harmonics, and can put on the attitude, too. That mod is what inspired me to invest in more changes. I'm glad I did. The Callaham saddles and bridge tone block are worth it, too. You might consider going for CTS pots and the good 5-way while you're doing the pups. MIMs are good out of the box and make great platforms to make very, very nice instruments.

Robert
October 30th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I have the CS 54s in my Strat, and for the neck and middle position, they sound fabulous. Have not used th 69s, so I don't know how they compare.

tremoloman
November 3rd, 2005, 05:56 AM
I own both, and I'd suggest installing the Callaham tremolo block first. It really makes the stock pickups come alive. I truly like the sound of MIMs with a Callagham block over the Am Std ones. CS 69s can be ordered without having to ship out your guitar. They are a breeze to install and are the best bargain out there IMHO! :)

I installed them in a American Deluxe w/S1 circuit for even more tones... love 'em!

MagicBaller21
November 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM
are there any sound clips of the difference between the '54 the '69 and the regular pickups that come with the guitar? and also, what'll the changes be if there arent any sound clips. (ive only heard they are good for blues/rock, i thought maybe in between the vintage noiseless and texas specials...)

(but i dont know what the vintage noiseless and texas specials sound like)... super n00b alert?

Tone2TheBone
November 22nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Acme Guitar Works has an awesome side by side pickup demo

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat-Pickup-MP3-Clips-W1C28.aspx

This site is what helped me decide on the Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials.

MagicBaller21
November 26th, 2005, 02:25 AM
ive been looking into the callaham bridge setup. i really would like to do it, but it wouldnt be possible for me to ship it over to virginia (im in California)... im trying to either ask for the pickups or this for christmas (from my parents). they definately wouldnt let me send my guitar out to virginia. it's kinda frustrating that ive heard so many good things about it (that it'll tremendously change your guitar's sound) but unfortunately, i cant get it. i think im gonna get the '69s, ill let you guys know what i think of them, hopefully, in a month!

SuperSwede
November 26th, 2005, 05:51 AM
I would say go for the Texas Specials, they sound awesome and would suit your music style perfectly. I must however admit that I never tried the 69´s.

tremoloman
December 3rd, 2005, 01:08 PM
MagicBaller21,

Installing the Callaham bridge is a snap! You wouldn't need to ship your guitar out! You coudl even just replace the tremolo block. That alone makes a HUGE difference. I've installed a Callaham block in every Strat I own, including 2 American Deluxe models. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!

MagicBaller21
January 2nd, 2006, 03:04 AM
ok, i think ive finally decided on what to do to my MIM strat. IM gonna put the callaham trem block in; im gonna buy 2 extra springs, so i can have 5 strings (ive heard 5 is good); and also, ive been thinking of the bridge base plate that he sells (im looking for a hotter bridge pickup). im hoping that each of these are good ideas (im not too sure about 5 springs or a bridge base plate). i think callaham puts the bridge base plate on some of his vintage guitars.

will the 5 springs make my bridge go all the way down to the body? and, are there any installation pictures on the web that i can look at, to make sure im doing everything correctly? (im gonna do everything myself, except for maybe the base plate, since i dont have a soldering iron). any other info is much appreciated regarding these 3 things and their installation!

tremoloman
January 3rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
MagicBaller21,

You don't need to go crazy my friend! I'd say go with the tremolo block for sure and get the saddles if you can afford them. Those two changes alone are going to transform your guitar into an entirely new animal.

3,4, or 5 springs is nothing more than personal preference. Do you want to have to kill yourself to bend notes? I've got carpel tunnel and have only the standard 3 springs on all my Stratocasters. If you set one up correctly, tuning instability is never an issue.

I'll elaborate if you want me to go into deal on how to setup a Strat so that you can divebomb one like a Floyd and have it return to top form 99.9% of the time.

-t

MagicBaller21
January 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
k, i ordered a trem block and one trem spring (just to see if it makes a difference). im gonna try to record some before and after stuff to see what kind of difference they make, ill let you all know how it goes! and ill ask plenty of questions if i have trouble installing!

dont i just mark where the saddles were, and then take apart everything and put it back together (the bridge)? thanks for all the help!

tremoloman
January 7th, 2006, 08:54 AM
k, i ordered a trem block and one trem spring (just to see if it makes a difference). im gonna try to record some before and after stuff to see what kind of difference they make, ill let you all know how it goes! and ill ask plenty of questions if i have trouble installing!
No problem... that's why we are here! I'd be shocked if you don't notice a major gain in sustain and tone when the switch is made.

If you aren't familiar with setting up intonation and such, I'd say do the switch yourself and then take your guitar to a local stoer for a tuneup. A good tune should only cost $20-$30 max, and you would be assured it is setup properly.

dont i just mark where the saddles were, and then take apart everything and put it back together (the bridge)? thanks for all the help!
That should work if you are careful. I've marked the saddles underneath with a black sharpie in the past when in a rush. The saddles do leave little indentations from where they have lied for some time, so this method may work out for you just fine.

Please let us know your results!

MagicBaller21
January 9th, 2006, 07:01 PM
im in the process of installing (yay!...?) well, i removed the strings, and was wondering if the little things that are sticking out that the strings to through in the tuners, are they supposed to wobble when i touch them? am i supposed to tighten them or something? is this normal?

tremoloman
January 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
im in the process of installing (yay!...?) well, i removed the strings, and was wondering if the little things that are sticking out that the strings to through in the tuners, are they supposed to wobble when i touch them? am i supposed to tighten them or something? is this normal?

That's the difference between low and high quality tuners. Low quality will wobble, increasing the chances of slipping out of tune. (My Squier 51's wiggled like a drunk until I upraded to locking models). They should be just fine unless you like to do major divebombing.

Please let me know how it goes!