PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Size

piebaldpython
December 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
This is directly related to Strum's " what amp?" discussion........I read a lot about speaker size and would like some opinions from the gang as to what you may feel is "optimal" for a small room as Strum described (100-200 sq ft). It seems that some feel anything under 10" (:D , yeah, I had to laugh out loud when I looked this post over after completeing it. :D ) just doesn't give the proper tonal response?? Thanks

Andy
December 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
I had a vox 10w with a 6" spkr, it was more than enough for a practice room.
and suprisingly full sounding for it's size.

however being used to the sound of 12's it took some getting used to.
If a person can get over the difference the smaller speakers are more than ample.

so I figure,If you can get past expecting a 12" sound than there are many great amps for the practice room.The vox pathfinder is a fantastic amp for warm and "chimey" tones! great bang for the buck

just strum
December 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
What exactly does the larger speaker provide or put the other way, what do you lose with a smaller speaker? I'm not hijacking, just trying to get a better understanding of the responses that this thread will generate.

Andy
December 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
the difference I've experienced is you loose some of the bottom end thump. so if I'm hitting a power chord it doesn't have the same punch of a good 12".
at low volume I tend to boost the lows probably because of the way the human ear works at different volumes.

however the smaller spks are more than well suited for a style of playing if a person preferrs to roll off the low end anyway.., they excell in that cleaner spanky type tone. thats just how my ears percieve it , I'm no tone guru by any means .

piebaldpython
December 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
What Strum said. :bravo: