PDA

View Full Version : Edwards 335 first impressions

syo
December 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Well I've been playing on my new Edwards E-SA-125LTS (ES-335 clone) for the past 5 days or so and I must say, I am extremely impressed. To call it a "clone" seems unfair to this guitar but as it is indeed a rather detailed copy of a 335 I suppose that is what it is. But this is a terrific guitar in it's own right. It is amazingly well constructed. I can find nothing wrong with it cosmetically/structurally and it plays like a dream.

I have to say that this is my first semi-hollowbody so those who play them regularly would be better able to offer comparisons. All I can say is that it reminds me of a ES-335 I played on (and fell in love with) 20 odd years ago. Now I finally have that semi-hollow thing for myself and I couldn't be happier with it.

As for how it sounds, I haven't had the opportunity to crank it up as my Marshall needs a tube, but it sounds great on my Vox Pathfinder 15R. My wife (violin) and I played Japanese folk tunes at a convalescent home this past weekend and I brought this guitar. Plugged it into a Line 6 Micro Spider on "acoustic" and it even sounded great on that. The Seymour Duncan SH-2n/SH-14 pups seem a good combination.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the Edwards logotype on the headstock. Looks like some Irish folk font which doesn't really fit the guitar, but this is a petty complaint. It would also be nice if they would offer the option of a figured top, but actually this plainer version is growing on me. Cool that they used book-matched maple and for such a price.

To put these impressions in perspective, you should know that they are coming from a hack and not a pro. Still, I know what I like and look for in a guitar and I couldn't be more pleased.

For Spudman (who requires photographic proof of purchase) and anyone else who cares to see my actual guitar you can see pics here:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/9343494fb27766802.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/9343494fb27787468.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/9343494fb277a60d5.jpg

I will try to put up a recording or two sometime soon in the new year as well.
That's it for now. Oh, and a few specs below:

BODY (Top/Back) Soild Hard Maple (Side) Hard Maple (Center Block) Mahogany
NECK Mahogany
FINGERBOARD Rosewood, 22frets w/ White Binding
RADIUS 305R
SCALE 24.75 inch (628mm)
NUT Bone (43mm)
JOINT Set-neck
TUNER GOTOH SD90-SL, SG301-01(CH)
BRIDGE Old Type Tune-Matic & GOTOH GE101Z
PICKUPS (Front) Seymour Duncan SH-2n
(Rear) Seymour Duncan SH-14

tot_Ou_tard
December 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'd love a 335-style guitar. I'm glad you like yours.

Ummmm, what kid of radius is this?!?

RADIUS 305R

30.5", 305" ? Yow!

M29
December 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Man that is sweet looking syo. I bet it sounds good with the Semour Duncan's and a bone nut as well.

M

syo
December 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
I'd love a 335-style guitar. I'm glad you like yours.

Ummmm, what kid of radius is this?!?

30.5", 305" ? Yow!

I would think that would be 305 millimeters which would be about 12 inches. Specs were taken off their website. They listed the radius as 305R. I suppose the "R" could signify the ancient Persian measure of "ri" but this would work out to a little more than a 1000 kilometers so probably not.;)

just strum
December 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Syo,

Very impressive. I did a quick Google and I must say I am impressed. As many of us here will tell you, you are going to love the semi HB.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Katastrophe
December 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Stunning guitar, syo, and thanks for the review!

Bloozcat
December 22nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
That's fantastic syo. I'm glad that it's worked out to your liking!

duhvoodooman
December 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Oooooh, nice! I particularly like that satin semi-gloss finish. Classy looking guitar. I have the SH-14 (a.k.a. Custom 5) in the bridge of my Epi Elitist LP Std. and it's a great sounding pickup.

syo
December 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Oooooh, nice! I particularly like that satin semi-gloss finish. Classy looking guitar. I have the SH-14 (a.k.a. Custom 5) in the bridge of my Epi Elitist LP Std. and it's a great sounding pickup.

Thanks. Yes, I wasn't too sure at first about the satin finish but I'm quite pleased with it now.

sunvalleylaw
December 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
It looks really nice! Glad you landed one you like!

tot_Ou_tard
December 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
I would think that would be 305 millimeters which would be about 12 inches. Specs were taken off their website. They listed the radius as 305R. I suppose the "R" could signify the ancient Persian measure of "ri" but this would work out to a little more than a 1000 kilometers so probably not.;)
Ah yes, most of the world runs on metric.

I'm doing all measurements in ri from now on.

syo
December 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
It looks really nice! Glad you landed one you like!
Thanks. I am still intrigued by the Hagstroms too. I'm looking forward to trying some out at the NAMM show in January. Thanks again for all your help with my Hag questions.

Tone2TheBone
December 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Edwards are nice replicas and that one is a fine example syo. Where did you get that one?

syo
December 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Edwards are nice replicas and that one is a fine example syo. Where did you get that one?
As I live in Japan and one of our businesses is in the music industry I was able to get it from a wholesaler over here. Before deciding to buy it though, I checked out Ebay and found several sellers offering new Edwards at really very fair prices. In Japan, the cheapest retail price is about 98,000 yen (US $1,085) I've seen it on ebay for about the same price with shipping. Although the dollar has been dropping like a rock lately.

syo
December 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Just noticed (finally) that I started this thread in the wrong place. Sorry. I confuse myself sometimes. Well, often actually.:confused:

just strum
December 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Just noticed (finally) that I started this thread in the wrong place. Sorry. I confuse myself sometimes. Well, often actually.:confused:

I've been here for over a year and I always thought of this section as a product review of any guitar related items. So, I learned something new today, which is cool because it gets that out of the way early.

ZMAN
December 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Interesting they use the actual Seymour Duncan pickups instead of the Duncan Design. I am also very surprised that Japanese guitars seem to be able to get away with the very close Gibson headstock.
That 138 is a sweet looking guitar with all the bling.
I would really love to get a hold of one of those Gold Top LPs.
I did some checking and the Fees to Canada would just about double the price so that is out.
They are in the Ballpark of an Epi Elitist but I think the Edwards looks a little nicer with the Gibson style headstock, and no need to change the pickups.
The SH2 is their Jazz pickup with 7.72 ohms, and their SH14 is also an Alnico 5 magnet and gives really good vintage tone. A good fit for a semi hollowbody.
Looks like a nice guitar. Congrats on your early Christmas Gift.

syo
December 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks ZMAN. I really do love this guitar. When I'm not playing it, I'm thinking about playing it.

Regarding the headstock, as you may know, it is an infringement of the Gibson design and this is why they can't be sold legally in the States and Canada. There's no problem importing them however.

Yes it's Christmas morning right now in Japan but my Christmas started when this guitar arrived about a week ago.:D

ZMAN
December 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Yes when I posted my reply I looked on the world clock and it was 4:30 am. in Japan. I didn't expect to hear from you for a few hours.
That is one thing about the interenet it is always global, and sometimes our times don't overlap very well. Merry Christmas, it is only 8:20 on Christmas eve here.

syo
December 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks! An early happy Christmas to you ZMAN. Is it a white Christmas over there in Ontario? Or is Southern Ontario more like Miami?;)

ZMAN
December 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Where I am in the Niagara region it is pretty moderate. We do get snow and we do have some on the ground but yesterday it was raining, and I BBQd at the front of my garage. If you go down the highway a couple of hours where Just Strum lives they get a lot of snow off Lake Erie, and they are Further south than us. Buffalo gets a lot and our side of the Bridge in Fort Erie gets a lot as well. But half an hour down the road to us and we hardly get anything.
We are celebrating Christmas tommorrow, my daughter is driving up from Maine.
Are you are and expat or are you actually from Japan?

syo
December 25th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hey ZMAN. I'm an expat. Intend to apply for citizenship this year which I guess would make me... I don't know.:confused: My intro thread is here http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9497
Hope you and your family have a pleasant and safe holiday!

ZMAN
December 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
The reason I asked, was I studied Marshal arts (Judo) 45 years ago before Bruce Lee and Kung Fu made them famous. I learned a lot about Japanese culture, and some Japanese terms used as descriptors for the techniques. I became very close to several Japanese families, when my Sensei took me under his wings to groom me for the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo. Unfortunately I dislocated my elbow, while comepeting in a Senior tournament as a junior, and I missed the games.
It would have been quite a trip for an 17 year old.