PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite artist or band of the year ?

Blaze
December 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Who is the guitarist, musician, artist or band you've discovered and most appreciated this year ?

My choice is The Matt Schofield Trio, a good blend of Jazz, blues & funk in a compact trio formula...

Yfi9fKpm3yU&feature

HvHVUIumLQ0

Blazes:AOK:

Tibernius
December 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
That would be Imperial Leisure:

http://www.imperial-leisure.co.uk/

They were one of the support bands when I went to see Less Than Jake at Manchester. By the time their set had finished (only 15 minutes :() I'd already decided to get the album. :AOK:

Suhnton
December 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
I guess for me that would be The Hold Steady.

They're one of those bands where you either going to love them or hate them, mainly due to the singer's voice. His style is more like reciting poetry in a snarly/smarmy voice rather than singing per se. His lyrics deal with his seedy past, but he delivers them with a good sense of humour. I've often found myself laughing out loud (usually in public places w. the headphones on :) :confused: ) at some of the lines. Nothing flashy playing-wise, but have that nice fat LP rhythm tone.

I think this is their latest single:

d87LmzCn0Ps

Suhnton
December 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
I forgot to ask: Blazes, is Matt Schofield any relation to Jon Schofield? (Sorry, too lazy to Google :) )

Robert
December 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Oz Noy and James Muller.

FtZ0G94gdDA

H_3_fG7wad0

sunvalleylaw
December 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Mine is Mayer, John, again. His live stuff and DVD/CD he put out just shows so much versatility, I love the chord voicings and arrangements he comes up with, and he can just flat out play.

Blaze
December 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
I forgot to ask: Blazes, is Matt Schofield any relation to Jon Schofield?

I dont think so, Matt Schofield is from UK & John is from Ohio , Usa..

Suhnton
December 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I just saw the guitar and made the connection. I guess the hair was a dead giveaway :)

Spudman
December 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm going to have to go with Karmakanic - Who's The Boss In The Factory.

Although the album was released late this year it should be up for album of the year (in certain circles). The more I listen to it the more the brilliance unfolds. It's a Prog masterpiece in my opinion. The songwriting is great and Krister Jonsson's guitar parts are top notch, Lalle Larsson's piano playing is divine, Goran Edman's vocals are passionate and spot on, and Jonas Reingold is a genius.

Clips from Who's The Boss on Jonas' Myspace page. (http://www.myspace.com/jonasreingold)

duhvoodooman
December 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Joe Bonamassa. His double-live album Live from Nowhere in Particular is incredible. Great performances, great recordings.

tunghaichuan
December 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Chris Knight (http://www.chrisknight.net/)

vLvDjT6ZJNo

5ZPEIUJfs2M

tung

Tibernius
December 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Just realised I forgot to post the video. :thwap:

TQXG6X5xRf0

Link in case it isn't working:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXG6X5xRf0

R_of_G
December 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
I forgot to ask: Blazes, is Matt Schofield any relation to Jon Schofield?

Their last names are spelled differently, Schofield for Matt and Scofield for John. Of course, this does not necessarily mean they are not related, but it suggests that they probably are not.

In answer to the question of the thread, for me it is the band Earth. They have been around for several years, but I've never listened to them before. This year they released an album called The Bees Made Honey In the Lion's Skull which features Bill Frisell on two tracks. Given my obsession with all things Frisell-related I bought the album. I loved it and went back and got the rest of their stuff, all of which I like a lot. They play a style of music called "drone metal" which has a lot of heavily affected guitar and the sustained tones of drone music. It's slow and plodding and extremely hypnotizing. It's definitely a different approach. It may not appeal to everyone, but I love it.

Suhnton
December 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Their last names are spelled differently, Schofield for Matt and Scofield for John. Of course, this does not necessarily mean they are not related, but it suggests that they probably are not.

In answer to the question of the thread, for me it is the band Earth. They have been around for several years, but I've never listened to them before. This year they released an album called The Bees Made Honey In the Lion's Skull which features Bill Frisell on two tracks. Given my obsession with all things Frisell-related I bought the album. I loved it and went back and got the rest of their stuff, all of which I like a lot. They play a style of music called "drone metal" which has a lot of heavily affected guitar and the sustained tones of drone music. It's slow and plodding and extremely hypnotizing. It's definitely a different approach. It may not appeal to everyone, but I love it.

I've heard some of Earth's music (the album with the green muscle car on the cover). I read that Sunn 0))) were heavily influenced by them.

R_of_G
December 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
I've heard some of Earth's music (the album with the green muscle car on the cover). I read that Sunn 0))) were heavily influenced by them.

I heard that as well and then got myself some of their albums as well. I like them too. :)

Steve206
December 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
Dave Alvin and the Guilty Men.

Found his website where you can download entire shows for free. Might appeal to a couple of members?? The King of California is a great song.

Steve

Jimi75
December 23rd, 2008, 02:07 AM
John Mayer. I didn't have to think long about the question. Mayer achieved phenomenal qualitiy in songwriting and sound.

Jipes
December 23rd, 2008, 04:46 AM
I would vote for Sean costello I only discovered his music this year too bad taht he passed away RIP

R_of_G
December 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
You Mayer guys weren't into Mayer last year? I seem to remember a lot of posts about Mayer last year. Perhaps I read Blazes' question incorrectly, but I thought the question at hand in this thread was about artists we've discovered this year...:confused:

Who is the guitarist, musician, artist or band you've discovered and most appreciated this year ?

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Oh, I was reading the "most appreciated" part, in combination with the "favorite artist of the year" subject line. If we are going to keep it to artists we learned about this year, I guess I will pick Michael Franti and Spearhead. I cannot think of too many artists I just discovered this year and listened much to, but Franti and the boys came through my headphones a bunch after I learned about them in about last February. If we are sticking with "favorite artist of the year", I will stand behind my Mayer pick. I even said "again" when I listed him above. :AOK:

Blaze
December 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
for pop artist of the year i would say Keith Urban mostly for is tone & is guitar playin..

Geraint Jones
December 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
This year I`ve been listening a lot to Andy Fairweather Low , Richard Thompson and Otis Taylor .........and The Hold Steady....Thank god for the ipud , walking the dog has never been so much fun

Squireman131
December 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Mine lately has been Flobots. They are a rap/alternative group. They have a weird combination of funk/blues/classical/ and rap. The lyrics sold them for me. They sing about oppression of the working class and all that jazz.

Suhnton
December 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
This year I`ve been listening a lot to Andy Fairweather Low , Richard Thompson and Otis Taylor .........and The Hold Steady....Thank god for the ipud , walking the dog has never been so much fun

I listed them as well in my previous post.
There are a few non-guitar bands listed, so I'll add Burial, a London-based electro musician. I've been putting on the headphones and sleeping to his latest album, Untrue.

_MigURCQQA0