PDA

View Full Version : Place to have neck edges smoothed out?

tremoloman
June 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I have a MIM Strat that is too square on the sides of the neck. When I play it, the edges dig into my fingers causing pain. Neither my MIAs or other MIMs do this to me - it's just this one that seems a little less refined than my others.

How hard would it be to roll the edges to match the feel of my other guitars?
Is there anywhere I could ship the neck online to have this service done?
Any estimate what it would cost to do so?

It's a special edition "flip flop" model with matching headstock, so I don't want to just replace the neck even though it would be easier to do so.

thanks!

ZoSo65
June 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM
It's fairly simple to do.
A little bit of sanding and/or filing will do the trick.
Some good experience with sanding/filing would be needed, but patience is the key.
The only hurtle, that I could see, is if it's a finished maple fret board. Then you would have to re-finish the worked areas.

What kind of wood is the fret board?

Spudman
June 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I've also heard of rolling the edges yourself with nothing more than a socket. You know like a Craftsman or Snap On 15mm socket. I tried it on my 51 and I think it made a difference. Look around the web for "how to do it." It sounds easy to do. It was for me...that is if I did it correctly.

tremoloman
June 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM
ZoSo65:
It has a maple neck. I took some pictures and I'll post some tonight when I get home. I found one on the internet in stock trim that you can view for now down below.

Spudman:
Hmmm... that sounds like a reasonable idea, but I'm HORRIBLE at performing stuff like this. I've got ADD and OCD (nice combo, eh?), so when I'm given a task that requires judgement, I wind up screwing with it forever because I'm never satisfied with the job. If someone else does it, then I'm OK. I'm so afraid of ruining such a nice axe. I'll do a search on the 'net and see what I come up with. Maybe I will go for it after all. :)

Spudman
June 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Trem
Is that your new Strat? It's gorgeous. ADD and OCD? Dude, I bet you get a lot of stuff done very well. It should be a snap for you to roll your own (edges).

I'm schizophrenic but that doesn't stop me from doing much Shut up! Who are you talking to. Stay out of it it's my forum. What forum? Who are you talking to? Who wants to know?:eek:

tremoloman
June 29th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Trem
Is that your new Strat? It's gorgeous. ADD and OCD? Dude, I bet you get a lot of stuff done very well. It should be a snap for you to roll your own (edges).

I'm schizophrenic but that doesn't stop me from doing much Shut up! Who are you talking to. Stay out of it it's my forum. What forum? Who are you talking to? Who wants to know?:eek:
Spudman,

I've had the Flip-Flop for about 1½ years... it's only recently that I discovered that the square neck was why I only play it once in a while in comparison to my other 5 guitars. The neck edges are just doo darn square! I want to corect to so badly but terrified I'll wreck it. Not a bad guitar for $420 including shipping. I didn't need the guitar, but the paint job was just so different that I had to have it!