PDA

View Full Version : New Francis Dunnery album with John Wetton

Spudman
December 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
From DPRP:

FRANCIS DUNNERY: …and John Wetton, amongst others will be recording with Francis Dunnery for his latest release set to hit the streets in February 2009… Rock legend John Wetton will be lending his tremendous talents to the New Progressives Project. John Wetton will be guesting on Francis Dunnery's New Progressives project due to start mid February. Dunnery is absolutely delighted that Wetton will contribute to the project. Wetton is a long time hero of Francis Dunnery and he has influenced much of Dunnery's work over the last 25 years.

"I remember my sister used to play this 'single' by a band called 'Family' and the song was called Burlesque" recalls Dunnery "Even at the ripe old age of 11, I specifically remember listening to the Bass guitar and thinking that's absolutely brilliant. The bass sound on that song is something to behold, a brilliant bass part and a fantastic sound".

Dunnery continues "A few years later I bought an LP called 'Return to Fantasy' by a band called Uriah Heep, it was one of the first albums I ever bought and I loved it. Then in 1978 my mind was completely blown by a band called 'UK' who to this day are probably the most innovative and musically spectacular bands of our time. UK is about as good as music gets and I still play those songs. Songs like 'In the Dead of Night, Alaska, Rendezvous 602 and Caesar's Palace Blues..... I mean come on! what more could you possibly need. This is the real stuff".

John Wetton's discography reads like a 'who's who' in rock n roll and he has played with many bands over the years. Family, Roxy Music, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, UK, Wishbone Ash and Asia to name but a few.

"John also has a killer voice" explains Dunnery "His melodies were always sweet and appropriate so I will have to get him singing something if I can persuade him. I just can't wait to start work on this project. I'm deeply excited about the whole thing".

Spudman
March 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
New musicians have joined.

We have some very exciting news from the Also Eden camp. We are very proud to report that our guitarist Simon Rogers is the latest musician to join Francis Dunnery’s remarkable “New Progressives” project. Other guests announced to date include John Wetton, John Mitchell of It Bites and Steve Rothery of Marillion.

Francis comments: "I've known Simon for two or three years now and he's a great player. Simon is the guy who amongst other things knows every single tuning and every single song from the Genesis back catalogue so I always love to sit down with him and sing a few tunes. It amazes me that he knows so much stuff with so much intricate detail and we are going to need some of that on the New Progressives project".

We are, of course, immensely proud of the lad!
__________________________________________________ __________

and:

19 year old Luke Machin will be taking part in the New Progressives project in the summer. “I've seen Luke at my concerts for years and years “ explains Dunnery “ I've gotten to know him really well and his talent as a guitar player is immediately obvious to anyone who has witnessed his skills. He's also one of the coolest kids you could ever meet so he’ll fit right in with all the other cool people I have playing on the project”.

Luke Machin

Luke performed at the very first CKDCF charity event when he was only 12 years old and received a standing ovation for his efforts. Dunnery Jokes “ I remember watching him at the side of the stage and thinking ‘I'm gonna beat the shit out of this little bastard when he comes off stage, he's making us all look bad”. He continues “Seriously, working with all the wonderfully talented artists on the New Progressives project will be great experience for Luke. I think it would be fair to say that he represents the new batch of Progressive rock…… but all that aside, after he's done his parts, me and all the other guitar players are still going to beat the shit out of him for making us look bad ”.

Luke owned his first guitar at the age of 2 and hasn't put it down since! Up to this date Luke has competed and won many charity events across the country. Luke was most talented youngster of 2004, 1st in the Rising Stars competition, also the best soloist in Signal 1's Raw Talent competition. Luke was also a finalist in the Ernie Ball Guitar Hero. At the age of 14 he received Grade 8 with distinction in electric guitar from Trinity College London. He has done numerous sessions and has appeared on SM:TV live at the age of 12 featuring as their "Rock Kid". During this time Luke has formed a well established ProgRock band called "Fire Garden" back in Cheshire and fronts his own 5 piece ProgMetal band in Brighton "Concrete Lake". Luke is writing, recording and producing for both his bands albums and his own solo project. This will all be released later this year. Luke currently is taking a BA Hons Degree at Brighton Institute of Modern Music, and just received an award for BIMM Student of the year!

Robert
March 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sounds interesting!

Spudman
July 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
From DPRP: July 2009

FRANCIS DUNNERY: As the prog community is getting ever more excited about Francis Dunnery's "New progressive project" comes the news that saxophonist Theo Travis has been added to the already impressive line-up.
"I think it's fantastic that someone like Theo would come and join us on the New Progressives project" enthuses Dunnery "Theo is a major dude! I know his work mostly from David Sylvian, I saw him play live a few times and I thought he was terrific."

The London-based saxophonist and composer Theo Travis has made a name for himself on the British jazz scene for his virtuosity and soulful style as well as his fine compositions. Born in Birmingham, Theo studied classical music at the University of Manchester whilst playing in various jazz and rock bands.

Theo also performs with ambient and progressive rock artists and has performed or recorded with Robert Fripp, David Sylvian, Bill Nelson, Hatfield and the North, Richard Sinclair, Porcupine Tree, Harold Budd, Jah Wobble, the Tangent, John Foxx, Gong, Porcupine Tree, Anja Garbarek, Kangaroo Moon, No Man and Bass Communion.

Although Dunnery is not exactly known for his use of Saxophone or flute, never the less Dunnery has always been a huge fan of the instrument. "I remember listening to Archie Shepp and The Magic of Ju Ju when I was about 10 years old and thinking ****ing hell, this guy is incredible. I also loved Pharoah Saunders Upper Egypt and Lower Egypt. I thought Wayne Shorter's work on Weather Report's 'A remark you made' was truly beautiful playing so having Theo around is going to broaden the entire scope of the New Progressives project".

Dunnery will continue to add more outstanding artists to the new progressives palette over the next few months so watch this space.
So far the impressive line-up includes John Wetton, Steve Rothery (Marillion), Dave Meros (Spock's Beard), Simon Rogers (Also Eden), David Jackson (Van der Graaf Generator), Matt Swindells (Moth Vellum), John Mitchell (every known prog band in the universe) as well as a bunch of up and coming young musicians.