PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Guitar Idea?

marnold
December 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
OK, so I mentioned in the other thread that I like the looks of the Jackson DK2M, but would have to sell both my current guitars to get it. I'm relatively sure I don't want to do that--especially not sell my Fender--since I'm not even positive that I'd like the DK2M beyond its aesthetics.

Lately I struck upon the idea of getting a new body for my Floyd. 99% of the fit-and-finish issues are with the body (Floyd posts misdrilled, claw screwed in at an angle, etc.). I do, however, like the neck. A guy I know from the Metal Method forums owns/runs Mojo Bodies (http://www.mojobodies.com/). My thought was that I could send him the neck if necessary and build me a better (perhaps pointier?) body. I'd lose the pickguard and add a tone control. The issue here is that I'd have to paint/finish it--although if I got something in ash I'd probably go with a natural look which would be easy enough.

Am I crazy for even considering this?

Spudman
December 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Krylon is your friend.:)

tot_Ou_tard
December 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Krylon is your friend.:)
He took my 20 dollar bill & vanished in the air...

just strum
December 24th, 2008, 07:28 AM

If you want it, you have the means to get it, then go for it.

There is a guy here that Suhr can attest to that.

It's up to you, but you already know that.

marnold
December 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
If you want it, you have the means to get it, then go for it.

There is a guy here that Suhr can attest to that.

It's up to you, but you already know that.
Werd. My "issue" with it is that of my Discovery guitar I'd just have the Floyd itself and the neck left. Granted, the bridge alone goes for about what I paid for the guitar. So if it sounds like I'm trying to justify things to myself, I am :)

bigoldron
December 24th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Dude, you're a member of THIS forum and you ask a stupid question like that? I thought that was a requirement for posting here. :D

If it itches, scratch it. I say go for it! You are after all, REVEREND RAWK! :rockon:

just strum
December 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
So if it sounds like I'm trying to justify things to myself, I am :)

Won't be the first time, and it's certainly not going to be the last.

It just shows you are thinking it out and not making an impulse purchase.

Katastrophe
December 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Get the body. Over time, you can "reassemble" the Floyd back together, and end up with a completely new guitar as you can afford it, and you can get top quality parts that way!

marnold
December 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Get the body. Over time, you can "reassemble" the Floyd back together, and end up with a completely new guitar as you can afford it, and you can get top quality parts that way!
Well, that's the thing. I already have the parts. I like the neck, as I mentioned. I've got the Floyd. I already replaced the pickups, pot, and switch. Basically all I'd need is another pot, a cap, and a jack if I wanted to go all-out. I even have an extra knob. So basically the cost involved would be the body and whatever paint job I'd give it. If I painted it, I could get a cheaper multi-part body. If I just stained it, I'd want a two-parter if not a one-part. It'd probably end up as a wash.

This wouldn't be something until summer anyway (I couldn't paint before then anyway), plus I'd gotten the "this better be it for a while" speech after I bought my bass amph.

My other thought is: do I want to spend the time/money to do this or would it be better to leave it well enough alone and instead look to get something like a Blackheart Little Giant and a metal pedal. I guess I'm leaning toward the guitar because I like my AD30VT well enough and the body on the guitar is a bit annoying.

Andy
December 24th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I have a feeling you would be real happy with the Jackson DK2M.(heh..heh):AOK:
but if you really like the neck you have, than mabey build your own custom tailored axe the way you want it.

marnold
December 24th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I have a feeling you would be real happy with the Jackson DK2M.(heh..heh):AOK:
I figure I probably would. If I could find one like this, the decision would be much easier. Quite Lynchian, but definitely not worth the ~$900 that I've seen them going for.
http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/1e/8d/c836_1.JPG

marnold
December 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I think I'm going to punt on the whole idea--at least for now. Part of it comes from the fact that I read about some problems with the DK2M--although most of it might be typical Intarweb garbage. I also found out that the claw problem is not a problem at all on my Floyd. Plus after I re-floated it again it seems to be behaving itself very nicely.

Ironically another reason is because I managed to put a 1.5" scratch on the top of the guitar. I was playing it while sitting on one of our living room chairs and I heard something funny. Apparently there was something poky on the armrest which scratched it up a treat. It can't be seen from the front, only the top. I guess it makes it that much more mine. If it would've happened to my Fender or my new Spector I probably would have had a conniption.