PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Question

ZMAN
December 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM
This has been bothering me for some time. It is something that I have only seen on this forum.
I would like to know if it is an inside joke.
My question is this. Why do people use the term "Amph" on this forum when referring to an Amplifier? I have never heard of this other than here.
It does not bother me either way but I just found it peculiar. I have also seen some people use amph, and amp in the same post.
Can someone let me in on how it all started. That way I can go into the new year with a fresh approach!
Brian

duhvoodooman
December 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Here's the source of the "amph" term:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403

Spudman
December 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
hMenB9Ywh2Q

ZMAN
December 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Ahhh, Now I get it. So now I will refer to it as a Dustinism. Thanks for the imput.

Blaze
December 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I get it too but as a french speakin guy from Quebec it don t get the meaning of G.A.S. i guess it has a relation with guitar search or something or i m all wrong..

Dumbo :confused:

ZMAN
December 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Guitar Aquisition Syndrome.

R_of_G
December 25th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Guitar Aquisition Syndrome.

Except in Robert's case where G.A.S. equals "Get A Suhr":D

Blaze
December 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I see ! incurable disease ,I am infected too..

Thanks Z..

piebaldpython
December 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Or........Gear Acquisition Syndrome.......like amphs, pedals, etc :D

Think of it as the Music version of why guys have to have LOTS of tools. :rotflmao:

just strum
December 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
HNGD = Happy New Guitar Day

Rocket
December 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Maybe a forum "Index of Terms" might be in order in addition to the F.A.Q.

just strum
December 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Warning: Has not been proof read for accuracy or profanity.

1. GAS - Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome: *Definition: If you find yourself obsessively thinking about a guitar or piece of gear, then you probably have it. No known cure. But feeding the obsession does tend to help. However, GAS usually returns, even stronger than before. *Sentence: " Ever since that new line of (put name of product here) came out, I've been having a lot of GAS."
2. HNGD - Happy New Guitar Day : *Definition: An exclamation/declaration to annouce the arrival of a new guitar. Used by new owners and well wishers. *Sentence: "Congrats on the new LP and HNGD!" or, "HNGD for me!"
3. GAR - Gear/Guitar Acquisition Remorse: *Definition: You bought it, but now wish you hadn't. GAS can turn into GAR quite easily. *Sentence: " After a bad bout of GAS yesterday, I awoke this morning with a bad case of GAR."
4. SG - Solid Guitar or Solidbody Guitar.
5. LP - Les Paul
6. LE - Limited Edition
7.Pots - Pots, Potentiometers or Variable resistors as they are sometimes called, are used as Volume, Tone or Pickup Balance Controls.
8. TRC - Truss Rod Cover
9. PU or PUP - Pickup
10. asb- As Submitted By
11. IMO or IMHO - In My Opinion (or) In My Humble Opinion
12. BTW - By The Way
13. AFAIK - As Far As I Know
14. FUBAR - Fouled Up Beyond All Repair (some use another "F" word) (OK, most do)
15. MOTS - Mother of Toilet Seat : It's rare to find mother of pearl inlays, or pearl anymore, without paying a bundle. Most of us have the plastic stuff or the dots. (got this one from Spud)
16. PAF- 'patent applied for" as in humbucker patent applied even though there was existing patent on a hum cancelling pickup(s) already granted.
17. RWRP - Reverse wound/reverse polarity the S-coil (south coil) of the humbucker is generally wound this way to allow hum cancelling.
18. SC - Single Coil - as name implies one single coil and magnet to give a unique and bright tone.
19. AlNiCo - an ALuminum, NIckel, Cobalt magnetic alloy that gives magnetic pickups their unique sound and property...AlNiCoII (2) AlNiCo V (5)and now AlNiCo VI (6)
20. PG - Pickguard
21. GC - Guitar Center 22. MF - Musician's Friend 23. SW - Sweetwater 24. AMS - American Music Supply 25. SA - Sam Ash
26. Stew Mac - Stewart MacDonald
27. RI - Re-Issue
28. FR- Floyd Rose
29. PC - Politically Correct or Personal Computer
30. PRS - Paul Reed Smith - Guitar Maker
31. CL - Craig's List
32. DC - Double Cut (does anyone use "SC" for single cut?)
33. TP - Tail piece
34. OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
35. MSRP - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (also known as "List")
36. MAP - Minimum Advertised Price
37. TAB -Tablature - Tablature is a form of musical notation, which tells players where to place their fingers on a particular instrument rather than which pitches to play. Many guitarists use this form.
38. MOD- Modification (many of us like to add, take off, or replace parts to our beloved guitars to get them to sound their best)
39. Strat - Fender Stratocaster guitar
40. Tele - Fender Telecaster guitar
41. Magazines - There are a huge number of guitar mags out there, too many to name them all, but here are a few commonly discussed around here: GP - Guitar Player, GW - Guitar World, VG - Vintage Guitar, Guitarist (didn't know how to abbreviate that, [Gist?]) , PG - Premier Guitar
42. Wiki - A wiki is a collection of web pages designed to enable anyone who accesses it to contribute or modify content, using a simplified markup language. Wikis are often used to create collaborative websites and to power community websites. The collaborative encyclopedia Wikipedia is one of the best-known wikis. Wikis are used in business to provide intranets and Knowledge Management systems. "Wiki" is originally a Hawaiian word for "fast".
43. SS - Solid State - Often used when refering to SS amps, as opposed to tube/valve amps.
44. FWIW - For What It's Worth
45. TOM - Tune O Matic
46. MOP - Mother of Pearl (ll)
47. POS- Piece of Shite (ll)
48. (ll) - ditto - *Definition - The same as stated above or before.
49. EFX (loop) -signal processing effects loop on most modern guitar amps
50. OTOH -On The Other Hand (ll)
51. DSP -digital signal processor, as it applies to guitar amps (reverb/efx) (ll)
52. DIY - Do It Yourself
53. RoHS - Restriction of Hazardous Substances. RoHS, also known as Directive 2002/95/EC, originated in the European Union and restricts the use of specific hazardous materials found in electrical and electronic products. All applicable products in the EU market after July 1, 2006 must pass RoHS compliance. (ll)
54. HS - Headstock (ll)
55. ’50s neck - the rounded neck found on most Les Pauls until about 1960. (ll)
56. ’60s neck - flatter, slimmer neck than the ’50s neck. Also called "slim taper" neck. (ll)
57. VOS - Vintage Original Spec - Series of reissue guitars produced by the Gibson Custom Shop to the exact specifications of original vintage guitars. (ll)
58. Scale length - The measured distance between the nut and the saddle. Most Gibsons, such as LPs and SGs have a scale length of 24-3/4" compared to a 25-1/2" scale on the Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster. Strings are a little easier to fret and bend on a shorter scale neck. (ll)

Blaze
December 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Effective Strumer here

i ll keep the index close to consult

Thanks

markb
December 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
15. MOTS - Mother of Toilet Seat : It's rare to find mother of pearl inlays, or pearl anymore, without paying a bundle. Most of us have the plastic stuff or the dots. (got this one from Spud)

AKA (=also known as) Mother of Bowling Ball or Mother of Accordion. e.g. that pearly plastic on the guard in my avatar.

Rocket
December 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Here's the popular origin of G.A.S. (blame Jay Wright)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PF1TMTCZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/GAS-Living-Guitar-Acquisition-Syndrome/dp/1411661796)

oldguy
December 26th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Ah, yet another thread that's gone off-track, thereby yielding more (and better) information than our thread starter requested.........Bravo!
Thanks, Strum
Thanks, Rocket

Spudman
December 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
What's really the sign of permeation is when you are talking to another fret.net member in person and they talk about their amp and say it with the 'F' at the end. I won't name any names but suffice to say that it's real.

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I won't name any names but suffice to say that it's real.

Get out!

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Get out!

20 seconds in

4HyJThYsoD8

tjcurtin1
December 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Great, thanks. I always imagined that RI was some kind of reference to Rhode Island (you know, like 'Westerley' Guilds...) probably just because I live next door here in MA. I imagine, like misheard song lyrics, we often try to make our own sense of what some of these acronyms stand for... with varying success!