PDA

View Full Version : Pedals And Tube Amp Watts

piebaldpython
December 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
All other things being equal (tube configuration, speaker size), should a pedal perform and sound "the same" whether it's run though a 5W or 100W tube amp???

tunghaichuan
December 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
All other things being equal (tube configuration, speaker size), should a pedal perform and sound "the same" whether it's run though a 5W or 100W tube amp???

That's just the problem: comparing a 5W amp to a 100W amp is an apples to oranges comparison. A 5W amp is most likely going to be single ended, cathode bias, Class A, and have one power tube. A 100W amp will be push pull, fixed bias, Class AB and have four power tubes.

Because of the differences, the pedal will sound different. The pedal will perform differently because it will "push" the 5W amp more easily than a 100W amp.

tung

markb
December 26th, 2008, 02:54 PM
That's just the problem: comparing a 5W amp to a 100W amp is an apples to oranges comparison. A 5W amp is most likely going to be single ended, cathode bias, Class A, and have one power tube. A 100W amp will be push pull, fixed bias, Class AB and have four power tubes.

Because of the differences, the pedal will sound different. The pedal will perform differently because it will "push" the 5W amp more easily than a 100W amp.

tung

Plus the 5w amp will be easier to push into power amp distortion without blowing your head off. This means that the job of a pedal will change. With a larger amp you might use a pedal to produce any kind of breakup at reasonable levels. With a small amp you'd use the pedal to add gain and compression to the amp's driven tone. In my last working band (no drums) I switched from a Vibrolux Reverb to a Blues Jr as it was easier to get the 15w amp working "properly" at the stage levels we used. I only used my Tube Screamer a couple of times a night for extra grit.