PDA

View Full Version : Cab Mod

just strum
December 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Basically all I am doing is taking my Advent speakers and putting in new speakers and a jack to use with my VJr or possibly a new amp head.

Is there anything else that will need to be done to use it with an amp?

I mentioned this in my amp thread, but it got lost in the shuffle.

Spudman
December 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Is there anything else that will need to be done to use it with an amp?

Nope. Just after you blow them up you'll pretty much have it.

just strum
December 25th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Nope. Just after you blow them up you'll pretty much have it.

Isn't that the goal?

M29
December 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Hello Mark,

Just keep the ohms matched. Something like that is an experiment. I am running my Celestian Blue in a stereo cab and experimenting with different size openings in the back. You do things and see what you come up with, sometimes good sometimes not so good. What size are the cabs? What speakers are you putting in them?

M

just strum
December 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Hello Mark,

Just keep the ohms matched. Something like that is an experiment. I am running my Celestian Blue in a stereo cab and experimenting with different size openings in the back. You do things and see what you come up with, sometimes good sometimes not so good. What size are the cabs? What speakers are you putting in them?

M

I haven't decided what to put in there. I took the old ones out and trashed them, but I believe they were 12". Maybe go with Celestion G12M Greenback

M29
December 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I am curious Mark what HxWxLength your cab/s is/are?

M

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I am curious Mark what HxWxLength your cab/s is/are?

M

Inside dimensions

Height = 24"

Width = 13"

Depth = 14"

The hole for the speaker measures 11.5"

It has a closed back that is sealed. Entry to the cab is through the front by removing the speaker cover.

M29
December 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Mark,

My cab size is very close to yours. My exterior measurements are H=15, D=12, L=26. I stack them sideways.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/1004956472967588.jpg

I find this to work well with my 12 inch speakers. The overall sound is somewhat boomy within a closed back and I am experimenting with a round opening in the back that I cut a little larger each time to eliminate the boominess. So far it is going well. This is with a Celestian Blue speaker. I have not messed with the other cab yet as it is not as boomy. It has an Eminence Texas Heat in it.
I recovered them in tolex and added Marshall style handles. The motivation for me to use old stereo cabs is for my back, (after 7 back surgeries) I can't carry anything larger than this and even these I try to get someone to help with.
My dad was into audio his whole life and built these cabs to a minimum size for a 12 inch audio speaker. That was for a speaker that had a 25Hz free air resonance. Our guitar speakers are close to 70Hz but work fairly well with a large port in the rear. We do not need the very low bass that is needed in an audio speaker.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/100495647295202c.jpg

I am still experimenting with the hole size in the back and I plan to enlarge it more. I will get a picture of where I am at in another post. Every speaker will be different so you would have to experiment. You could cut a large hole and make a swiveling piece of plywood that could be opened and closed for experimentation purposes and then when you find what hole size works best, cut a new back with the proper hole size. This is what I was going to do but didn't have the patience.:D But...I just remembered your cabs have backs that are not removable. I would just start out with a 3 inch hole in the back and enlarge it a little at a time until you like the sound.

I hope this is of some help.

M

just strum
January 31st, 2009, 04:38 PM
I am still experimenting with the hole size in the back and I plan to enlarge it more. I will get a picture of where I am at in another post. Every speaker will be different so you would have to experiment. You could cut a large hole and make a swiveling piece of plywood that could be opened and closed for experimentation purposes and then when you find what hole size works best, cut a new back with the proper hole size. This is what I was going to do but didn't have the patience.:D But...I just remembered your cabs have backs that are not removable. I would just start out with a 3 inch hole in the back and enlarge it a little at a time until you like the sound.

I hope this is of some help.

M

Have you made anymore adjustments to the hole on the cabs?