PDA

View Full Version : Internet acronyms explained

Spudman
December 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
If anyone runs across more Internet acronyms post them here.

Spudman
December 25th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks to Strum

1. GAS - Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome: *Definition: If you find yourself obsessively thinking about a guitar or piece of gear, then you probably have it. No known cure. But feeding the obsession does tend to help. However, GAS usually returns, even stronger than before. *Sentence: " Ever since that new line of (put name of product here) came out, I've been having a lot of GAS."
2. HNGD - Happy New Guitar Day : *Definition: An exclamation/declaration to announce the arrival of a new guitar. Used by new owners and well wishers. *Sentence: "Congrats on the new LP and HNGD!" or, "HNGD for me!"
3. GAR - Gear/Guitar Acquisition Remorse: *Definition: You bought it, but now wish you hadn't. GAS can turn into GAR quite easily. *Sentence: " After a bad bout of GAS yesterday, I awoke this morning with a bad case of GAR."
4. SG - Solid Guitar or Solidbody Guitar.
5. LP - Les Paul
6. LE - Limited Edition
7.Pots - Pots, Potentiometers or Variable resistors as they are sometimes called, are used as Volume, Tone or Pickup Balance Controls.
8. TRC - Truss Rod Cover
9. PU or PUP - Pickup
10. asb- As Submitted By
11. IMO or IMHO - In My Opinion (or) In My Humble Opinion
12. BTW - By The Way
13. AFAIK - As Far As I Know
14. FUBAR - Fouled Up Beyond All Repair (some use another "F" word) (OK, most do)
15. MOTS - Mother of Toilet Seat : It's rare to find mother of pearl inlays, or pearl anymore, without paying a bundle. Most of us have the plastic stuff or the dots. (got this one from Spud)
16. PAF- 'patent applied for" as in humbucker patent applied even though there was existing patent on a hum cancelling pickup(s) already granted.
17. RWRP - Reverse wound/reverse polarity the S-coil (south coil) of the humbucker is generally wound this way to allow hum cancelling.
18. SC - Single Coil - as name implies one single coil and magnet to give a unique and bright tone.
19. AlNiCo - an ALuminum, NIckel, Cobalt magnetic alloy that gives magnetic pickups their unique sound and property...AlNiCoII (2) AlNiCo V (5)and now AlNiCo VI (6)
20. PG - Pickguard
21. GC - Guitar Center 22. MF - Musician's Friend 23. SW - Sweetwater 24. AMS - American Music Supply 25. SA - Sam Ash
26. Stew Mac - Stewart MacDonald
27. RI - Re-Issue
28. FR- Floyd Rose
29. PC - Politically Correct or Personal Computer
30. PRS - Paul Reed Smith - Guitar Maker
31. CL - Craig's List
32. DC - Double Cut (does anyone use "SC" for single cut?)
33. TP - Tail piece
34. OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
35. MSRP - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (also known as "List")
36. MAP - Minimum Advertised Price
37. TAB -Tablature - Tablature is a form of musical notation, which tells players where to place their fingers on a particular instrument rather than which pitches to play. Many guitarists use this form.
38. MOD- Modification (many of us like to add, take off, or replace parts to our beloved guitars to get them to sound their best)
39. Strat - Fender Stratocaster guitar
40. Tele - Fender Telecaster guitar
41. Magazines - There are a huge number of guitar mags out there, too many to name them all, but here are a few commonly discussed around here: GP - Guitar Player, GW - Guitar World, VG - Vintage Guitar, Guitarist (didn't know how to abbreviate that, [Gist?]) , PG - Premier Guitar
42. Wiki - A wiki is a collection of web pages designed to enable anyone who accesses it to contribute or modify content, using a simplified markup language. Wikis are often used to create collaborative websites and to power community websites. The collaborative encyclopedia Wikipedia is one of the best-known wikis. Wikis are used in business to provide intranets and Knowledge Management systems. "Wiki" is originally a Hawaiian word for "fast".
43. SS - Solid State - Often used when referring to SS amps, as opposed to tube/valve amps.
44. FWIW - For What It's Worth
45. TOM - Tune O Matic
46. MOP - Mother of Pearl (ll)
47. POS- Piece of Shite (ll)
48. (ll) - ditto - *Definition - The same as stated above or before.
49. EFX (loop) -signal processing effects loop on most modern guitar amps
50. OTOH -On The Other Hand (ll)
51. DSP -digital signal processor, as it applies to guitar amps (reverb/efx) (ll)
52. DIY - Do It Yourself
53. RoHS - Restriction of Hazardous Substances. RoHS, also known as Directive 2002/95/EC, originated in the European Union and restricts the use of specific hazardous materials found in electrical and electronic products. All applicable products in the EU market after July 1, 2006 must pass RoHS compliance. (ll)
54. HS - Headstock (ll)
55. ’50s neck - the rounded neck found on most Les Pauls until about 1960. (ll)
56. ’60s neck - flatter, slimmer neck than the ’50s neck. Also called "slim taper" neck. (ll)
57. VOS - Vintage Original Spec - Series of reissue guitars produced by the Gibson Custom Shop to the exact specifications of original vintage guitars. (ll)
58. Scale length - The measured distance between the nut and the saddle. Most Gibsons, such as LPs and SGs have a scale length of 24-3/4" compared to a 25-1/2" scale on the Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster. Strings are a little easier to fret and bend on a shorter scale neck. (ll)

Rocket
December 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
2nd - (See B-Stock)
"B" or B-Stock - Not new premium stock
"C" or C-Stock - (See POS)
Blem - Surface or finish blemish
NOS - New Old Stock

Suhnton
December 25th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Great list.

Not guitar-specific, but I'll add another:

IIRC - If I recall correctly.

Spudman
December 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM
LSD = Lead Singer's Disease

bigoldron
December 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM
CRS - Can't Remember Shite :D

A disease that really seems to be taking its toll on us older farts.

oldguy
December 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
WCS..........
Wilburn Custom Shop

(You probably won't hear this one from anyone but me, I kinda like Scott.)

http://www.wilburncustomshop.com/

The_Shredinator21
December 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM
DDD- dumb dumber and....... uh, whats next?:thwap:

Spudman
January 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Anybody know what RTFM stands for?

tot_Ou_tard
January 7th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Anybody know what RTFM stands for?
If you would just Read The F-ing Manual you would know. ;)

marnold
January 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
My favorite is PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

rkwrenn
January 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Here are some...

* IOW - In Other Words
* TTIUWOP - This Thread Is Useless WithOut Pictures
* TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Cheers,

Bob

bigoldron
January 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
How about:

*BTHOM - Beats the He!! Outa Me

Or my favorite (and most heard one around here):

*SOL - Sh^$ Outa Luck

tot_Ou_tard
January 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
roflcopter:

.......................__ ............
......<ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL>.
........................| |...........
................... __\||/____......
.\\...............|'-|--| .\\....\.....
..\ \_...........|--|---|..\\ ....\....
../ L \____,/-------\___\___\
.|LOL|-------------O----- ----,\..
..\ L /______,---''-----------, /...
../ /.............\_________ ,/....
.//.............____//___ __\\__/.

hubberjub
January 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Spud, it looks like you just flipped through the Gibson catalog. How did you miss ES (Electric Spanish) after all that?

marnold
January 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
MOTS - Mother of Toilet Seat : It's rare to find mother of pearl inlays, or pearl anymore, without paying a bundle. Most of us have the plastic stuff or the dots.
I've seen inlays (particularly on Jacksons) described as "MOTO." Is that a type of plastic or is it some acronym? I'm sure it's the reason why "MOTS" came about.

marnold
January 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
rotflcopter:

.......................__ ............
......<ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL>.
........................| |...........
................... __\||/____......
.\\...............|'-|--| .\\....\.....
..\ \_...........|--|---|..\\ ....\....
../ L \____,/-------\___\___\
.|LOL|-------------O----- ----,\..
..\ L /______,---''-----------, /...
../ /.............\_________ ,/....
.//.............____//___ __\\__/.
Or even better:
http://www.roflcopter.net/roflcopter.gif

just strum
January 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I've seen inlays (particularly on Jacksons) described as "MOTO." Is that a type of plastic or is it some acronym? I'm sure it's the reason why "MOTS" came about.

From another site:

"I've always known MOTO=Mother of Toilet Seat, but what exactly does THAT mean? I've never seen a toilet seat made of imitation pearl. Is that a play on words meaning mother of toilet seat is one step away from the crap in the toilet bowl?"

oldguy
January 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
From another site:

"I've always known MOTO=Mother of Toilet Seat, but what exactly does THAT mean? I've never seen a toilet seat made of imitation pearl. Is that a play on words meaning mother of toilet seat is one step away from the crap in the toilet bowl?"

With all the search engines out there, you'd think somebody'd figured this out by now...............:cool:

Next up........
IIWTR......If I win the raffle
IYWTR.....If you win the raffle;)

bigoldron
January 8th, 2009, 10:42 PM
With all the search engines out there, you'd think somebody'd figured this out by now...............:cool:

Next up........
IIWTR......If I win the raffle
IYWTR.....If you win the raffle;)

Actually, that should be:

WIWTR...WHEN I win the raffle
WTFWIGWIW...What the f%$# will I get when I win?

M29
January 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
MBH- My butt hurts.

oldguy
January 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Actually, that should be:

WIWTR...WHEN I win the raffle
WTFWIGWIW...What the f%$# will I get when I win?

Good luck, then......
WTHAYGGWYW???????:whatever:

bigoldron
January 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Good luck, then......
WTHAYGGWYW???????:whatever:

Hey, we're talking acronyms here. Nobody actually believes that I'm going to win - most especially me. I'm like the guy on Andy Griffith who pulled the hat size out when all the numbers were the same... :rotflmao:

wingsdad
January 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
From another site:

The term 'Mother Of Toilet Seat' was coined back in the 50's & early 60's, in the days of Lucy & Ricky, Ozzie & Harriet & Ricky & David, June & Ward & Wally & The Beav... when plastic Toilet Seats actually were made with such a 'plastic pearl' finish to coordinate with popular bathroom decor of the era. Any other 'Child of the 50's' out there? Remember your bathroom decor?

It was also the era when Hawaiian/Lap Steel guitars were still smokin', and Valco/National/Supro/Airline Lap Steel guitars were in vogue with this 'artistic' finish':
From 1950:
1950 Supro (http://www.lapsteelguitar.com/awsumcart.asp?cat=lap&subcat=national&itemcode=lap_national_3)
A 1953 10-string Lap:
1953 Valco (http://www.lapsteelguitar.com/awsumcart.asp?cat=lap&subcat=national&itemcode=lap_national_11)
A mid-60's National:
MOTS National Lap Steel (http://www.lapsteelguitar.com/awsumcart.asp?cat=lap&subcat=national&itemcode=lap_national_9)
...and here's one from '57...custom-made for one of our Fretters From Florida...but it's not finished in MOTS...:
1957 National Rocket (http://www.lapsteelguitar.com/awsumcart.asp?cat=lap&subcat=national&itemcode=lap_national_7)

The 'less derogatory' term for this plastic imitation pearl was 'Mother Of Pearl' (MOP), and since the plastic is actually celluloid, 'Pearloid' -- as in 'Pearloid Position Markers'. In solid white, it was called 'Ivoroid', as in 'Ivoroid Bindings'.

marnold
January 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The weird thing is that I see companies describing the inlays as MOTO in ads for these guitars. It would seem odd to use a derogatory slang term like that--unless there is another "proper" definition.

Ch0jin
January 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Wow nobody listed TL.DNR yet.

Too Long. Did Not Read.

Often used after someone posts an exceedingly long post (or in response to posts of RTFM)

Spudman
January 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Anyone know what AFT means?

tunghaichuan
January 29th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Anyone know what AFT means?

about friggen time?

tung

Spudman
January 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
about friggen time?

tung

Mercy beau coup.

just strum
March 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Since I used it earlier:

LTNS: Long time, no see

Robert
April 23rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
IIRC - take your pick.

IIRC If I Recall/Remember Correctly
IIRC Interactive Illinois Report Card
IIRC If I Read Correctly
IIRC If I Really Cared
IIRC Image and Identity Research Collective
IIRC Impedance Imaging Research Center (Korea)
IIRC If It Really Counts
IIRC If I Recollect Correctly
IIRC International Internet Recruiting Consultants, Inc.
IIRC International Inter-Society Research Committee (on Nuclear Codes and Standards)
IIRC Internet Information Research Center
IIRC Immunity and Infection Research Centre
IIRC Interstate Insurance Receivership Compact
IIRC Information Integrity Research Centre (UK)
IIRC International Interpretation Resource Center
IIRC International Interdisciplinary Research Colloquium
IIRC Iraqi Islamic Reconciliation Conference
IIRC Inactive Item Review Code (US DoD)
IIRC Isn't It Really Cool
IIRC IVF & Infertilty Research Centre (Calcutta, India)
IIRC In Internet Relay Chat

Spudman
April 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
These will come in handy.:D

IIRC - take your pick.

IIRC If I Recall/Remember Correctly
IIRC Interactive Illinois Report Card
IIRC If I Read Correctly
IIRC If I Really Cared
IIRC Image and Identity Research Collective
IIRC Impedance Imaging Research Center (Korea)
IIRC If It Really Counts
IIRC If I Recollect Correctly
IIRC International Internet Recruiting Consultants, Inc.
IIRC International Inter-Society Research Committee (on Nuclear Codes and Standards)
IIRC Internet Information Research Center
IIRC Immunity and Infection Research Centre
IIRC Interstate Insurance Receivership Compact
IIRC Information Integrity Research Centre (UK)
IIRC International Interpretation Resource Center
IIRC International Interdisciplinary Research Colloquium
IIRC Iraqi Islamic Reconciliation Conference
IIRC Inactive Item Review Code (US DoD)
IIRC Isn't It Really Cool
IIRC IVF & Infertilty Research Centre (Calcutta, India)
IIRC In Internet Relay Chat

Rampant
July 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
FTW

For the win :D

Brian Krashpad
December 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
FTW

For the win :D

And if you're really excited, FTMFW. I'll let everyone guess what the MF stands for. (Hint: think Samuel L. Jackson.)

Here's a few guitar-centric ones I've used or seen used, and sfaik (see what I did there?) haven't been in this thread:

MIM: Made In Mexico
MIK: " " Korea
MIC: " " China
HB: humbucker
Wrap/Wrap Around/Wrap Bridge: Single-piece combination tailpiece/bridge as used on original Les Paul Juniors and Specials, and on some modern PRSs
Overwrapping: Term for stringing strings through a stoptail towards the butt of the guitar and then looping back over in the other direction, towards the bridge and headstock. Some players like to do this because they perceive different playability/tonal characteristics from the different (flatter) angle at which the strings pass over the bridge, or because there may be less string breakage at the bridge because of the flatter angle. I can't tell about the former, but the latter seems to be true, so sometimes I'll overwrap the 2 thinnest strings to avoid breakage.

Spudman
September 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
The mother load of acronyms. Now you'll never need to know how to spell again.

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

poodlesrule
September 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
EOM
End of message, as used in the Subject line of an email without body text.

Here is an example, announcing new guitar to spouse via email:
" Guitar arrived via UPS - Love you! EOM" :rockya

Quite useful for the non-texting crowd still corresponding via email.

Robert
September 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
TMWSMG - that would be Spudman.

The Man With So Many Guitars.

:)

Spudman
September 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM
TMWSMG - that would be Spudman.

The Man With So Many Guitars.

:)

They have that one?

TMWBVTDLOR (the man with bulging veins that does lots of reviews)

kiteman
September 29th, 2010, 02:25 AM
DDD- dumb dumber and....... uh, whats next?:thwap:

dumbfounded?

deeaa
September 29th, 2010, 04:43 AM
LOL, this thread reminds me...you know, we usually speak of Les Pauls as 'LP's or LP style guitars in general, and we use 'STD' fro Standard and 'CLS' for Classic and 'STU' for studio...well little did I think STD also stands for Sexually Transmitted Disease, so when I was in Sam Ash in N.Y.C. and the salesperson came to me asking if he could help, I replied something like 'Oh, I'm just cruising for an STD here'...or something to that effect anyway...and he could barely contain it :-)

deeaa
September 29th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Must tell another fun anecdote from my days in the NYC...I was at this occasion, we were maybe 20 persons awaiting food, and it was so quiet, and I decided to break the silence, and said 'I'm starving!' except I translated it *literally* from Finnish...and we say 'Hungry like a wolf' which I quickly learned meant another kind of hunger altogether.

Well anyway when I said it, really like stressing it, maaan, I'm so hungry like a wolf...I got really strange looks, and one guy said 'Well Antti thank you for sharing that' and then another thumped me in the ribs and winked at me and whispered 'me too!' and...well I didn't get it until maybe 15 minutes later.

Heheh...I can remember lots of similar occurrences where I used a funny kind of saying, to americans that is...how could one know, really :-)

kiteman
September 29th, 2010, 06:35 AM
"Cruisin' for an STD" :dance

Sound like a song title. :poke