PDA

View Full Version : Nice Deal? Palomino V3212 30W 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp

just strum
December 25th, 2008, 07:14 PM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V3212-30w-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=480987

peachhead
December 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'm no expert but it looks pretty good to me- if I was looking to spend that much money I would be very tempted, considering I have no tubes. I've been thinking about the VJ or the small crate 5 watter when I get ready to go that way, but I'm just cheap.

just strum
December 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'm no expert but it looks pretty good to me- if I was looking to spend that much money I would be very tempted, considering I have no tubes. I've been thinking about the VJ or the small crate 5 watter when I get ready to go that way, but I'm just cheap.

I know, I was thinking a Blackheart head and getting a speaker for a cab, but by the time I'm done, I will be spending about $300. Now the only question is, how to come up with $300 of gear money? I thought about selling something, but I want to keep everything I have right now.

TS808
December 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I owned one of those amps...Not a bad amp at all....however, I wound up returning mine to GC for two reasons: The volume pots were very scratchy and alot of static, plus I found the amp to have way too much low end.

That amp is LOUD too.....way louder than my 30 watt Delta Blues.

For 299, I think it's a good deal; just way too loud for my needs.

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I owned one of those amps...Not a bad amp at all....however, I wound up returning mine to GC for two reasons: The volume pots were very scratchy and alot of static, plus I found the amp to have way too much low end.

That amp is LOUD too.....way louder than my 30 watt Delta Blues.

For 299, I think it's a good deal; just way too loud for my needs.

Your comment about the volume pot seems to be common. I found a thread in guitarist.net from 2007

"My Crate Palomino situation was a failure. I had played the V3212 (30W, class A, 2x12) at my GC and it had a bad crackle when you turned the volume knob. But I ordered one anyway hoping it was a one time defect I wouldn't have to worry about. But my amp had it. So I exchanged it for another one. That had the same problem."

TS808
December 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM
The price is good at $299, but with the reliability issues with some of the Palomino amps, I'm not sure it is worth it.

The last Crate amp that I really liked was the Vintage Club series, which they discontinued. Awesome amps. Since then, I really haven't heard a Crate tube amp that I can say I really liked.

Sblack
December 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Last year, I had and returned that same V32 model. First, it was incredibly loud and rattled past volume "3" due to the overly accentuated low-frequency vibrations. I tightened everything, but it still rattled. Additionally, the face plate on the amp got so hot I could almost fry and egg on it. I felt the heat was a dangerous thing considering soldered joints and circuits. Something tells me they are that price for a reason.

just strum
December 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Last year, I had and returned that same V32 model. First, it was incredibly loud and rattled past volume "3" due to the overly accentuated low-frequency vibrations. I tightened everything, but it still rattled. Additionally, the face plate on the amp got so hot I could almost fry and egg on it. I felt the heat was a dangerous thing considering soldered joints and circuits. Something tells me they are that price for a reason.

I guess my placement of the "?" in the title was appropriate. The more I researched that more it confirms some of the things noted here.

71cutty
November 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Greetings! I've had a Palomino V3212 for a little over two years now. I've gigged with it the whole time and I've only changed the stock tubes for Ruby tubes. Sounds great in bars and small concert halls. Has a great classic rock tone. The only downside to the amp is that it wears out tubes quickly, although that may be my fault. I think for my next amp I'll purchase a Fender Hotrod Deluxe 4x10 :)

Spudman
November 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
The only downside to the amp is that it wears out tubes quickly, although that may be my fault. I think for my next amp I'll purchase a Fender Hotrod Deluxe 4x10 :)

I'ver noticed that too. I have a Crate VC5212 and it eats tubes. I think they sound good because they run the bias hot from the factory hence the short tube life. If you cooled the bias I bet they wouldn't sound as good. I do agree that they are good sounding amphs.

I went to the Hot Rod Deluxe myself and have been pretty happy about that.