PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of this?

M29
December 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hello,

I am really bloated and the GAS is unbearable. I can't build a neck through for this price, do you think this would be any good to play around with? It says mahagony but is probably Agathis but might sound pretty good. It has a nice contour at the neck/body area.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1256.html

Thank you for your time and help.

M

marnold
December 25th, 2008, 10:13 PM
My guess is that if Kurt says it's mahogany, then that's what it is. I'd also guess that the Floyd copy would be crap, but at that price . . .

Spudman
December 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
You've got to get one so we'll know what they are like. Looks pretty nice.

oldguy
December 26th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Go ahead, for that price you can afford to mod it, and if it doesn't need upgrading, you win big!;)

Pretty wood, and it does look like mahogany.

Kazz
December 26th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Looks like Mahogany, but if they want to call it

"Mahoganny" Then who am I to quibble LMAO.....Maho Ganny? Is that some new Hawaiian salutation for a Grandmother?

Seriously I love the "Au Natural" look on guitars and that would be one I would snatch up. I would plan on upgrading the floyd and the pups that guitar just screams Hair Metal to me.....

It also for some reason is whispering....blues blues blues blues to me.....hmmm now where did I hide the beano.

sumitomo
December 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Pretty nice when you can buy a guitar,as nice as that cheaper than a fret job.And that's a Fret job,not what your thinking.Sumi:D

Tibernius
December 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Agathis is Mahogany family, and sounds very similar or identical to Mahogany. Although looking at the guitar I'd say it is Mahogany.

Katastrophe
December 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Give it a shot! You have the woodworking skills to fix it if it breaks, so why not?

:AOK: :rockon: :dude:

Algonquin
December 29th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I like the look of it a lot M! Very nice lines to it :AOK:

M29
December 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks guys. I think I am going to have to pass for now. The wife has been noticing too many guitars around here lately...Hmm........I may have to make one and let it be seen over time. It doesn't have the same effect that way :D

M

Brian Krashpad
January 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Agathis is Mahogany family, and sounds very similar or identical to Mahogany. Although looking at the guitar I'd say it is Mahogany.

ALthough I agree about them sounding similar, sfaik agathis isn't in the mahogany family, it's an Asian pine variety, of all things. I had a DeArmond M-75 that was agathis and it was fecking heavy. Sounded like mahogany all right.

Bloozcat
January 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM
ALthough I agree about them sounding similar, sfaik agathis isn't in the mahogany family, it's an Asian pine variety, of all things. I had a DeArmond M-75 that was agathis and it was fecking heavy. Sounded like mahogany all right.

Yep, Brian is correct, Agathis is a conifer. It's considered to be one of the hardest of the "soft woods" (think pine family), therefore it's used extensively for things like sailboat masts, or siding. It actually has a moisture content very similar to Douglas fir, and has a high resin content as well. Although it is sometimes refered to as "commercial grade mahogany", it's not a mahogany at all. Still, it makes for a decent tone wood on guitar bodies (as seen with many an Ibanez).

Usually when a guitar company is trying to pass a cheap wood off as mahogany, they use Nato. Nato is a soft "hardwood" that looks and sounds similar to cheap mahogany. To say it's a tone wood is misleading though. It doesn't look, sound, or last like real Honduran or even African mahogany. Asian made guitars like some Epiphones and Samicks (to name just two), use or have used Nato, often calling it "mahogany". I had a Samick LP knock off once that was made of Nato. The wood grain was not as defined nor was the color as dark, as real mahogany. It didn't sound like good mahogany either...much brighter tone.

Kurt's descriptions regarding wood types used on Rondo marketed guitars are usually pretty accurate. I've never seen an actual case where he tried to pass Nato off as mahogany...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's never happened. To support this I refer to my SX SST Mahogany w/P-90's. The body is definitely mahogany in appearance and tonally qualities, yet the guitar only cost me $109.99. So I guess they can manufacture a cheap guitar and still use real mahogany.

thearabianmage
January 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I tell thee what M29 - I had a flick through the Rondo pages not too long ago and had a little bit of GAS due to that very guitar. I was able to fart it out, but I'd still say go for it.

Nice detailed description of woods, btw, Bloozcat. I was always under the impression that Nato was a decent wood, but from the sounds of it, I should try and avoid it now. . .

GREENMACHINE
January 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Cheers M, now you have me gassing for one!!!! Thanks a lot!

Bloozcat
January 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Nice detailed description of woods, btw, Bloozcat. I was always under the impression that Nato was a decent wood, but from the sounds of it, I should try and avoid it now. . .

It's not that Nato is bad wood, it's just that it's often passed off as mahogany. People often react to being deceived like this by pointing to the wood as "bad", when in actuality, it's just not what they were led to believe they were getting. Some people find mahogany sweet sounding, but too dark for their tastes. For them, Nato might be perfect. I know a couple of people who have Samicks made with Nato and they love the tone.

I don't think I'd be worried with Kurt at Rondo, though. If he says it's mahogany, it's probably mahogany. But to be sure, you could just e-mail him. He's very responsive to questions.

Perfect Stranger
June 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Kurt has never been known for false advertising. He also offers a 30 days return policy. If you don't like it...send it back!

Rocket
June 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
He also offers a 30 days return policy. If you don't like it...send it back!
Not always!

Spudman
June 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Not always!

??????? That's pretty vague. Care to expound? I've never had problems nor have I talked to anyone who has.

Rocket
June 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
??????? That's pretty vague. Care to expound? I've never had problems nor have I talked to anyone who has.
Old news. I posted about it long ago...
Here's the thread: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10459

Just to pacify all the Kurt/Rondo devotees: "Everybody should buy all their guitars from Rondo."

Perfect Stranger
June 18th, 2009, 02:46 AM
There seems to have only been one unhappy Rondo customer here. I wonder
how many unhappy Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc. customers there are.

M29
June 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM
:) :)

Brian Krashpad
June 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I bought one guitar from Rondo. In order to keep it under the marital radar, I wanted to send them a money order. But it was on a closeout item. and they were going fast. I e-mailed Kurt, and he set one aside for me until my payment arrived.

That was pretty boss if you ask me.