PDA

View Full Version : Did you have any gears for Christmas ?

Blaze
December 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Tell us more about some guitar gears you ve got from this year Christmas or a wish for 2009 ..

I did nt have any so , that s all for me .I m still hopin to get a distortion pedal that i would realy like,& this G&L Asat bluesboy in my avatar ..Maybe this year to come ...

Blazes

sunvalleylaw
December 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I received:

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay pedal
2x6" LiveWire right angle patch cables
1x12" LiveWire right angle patch cable
1 bag of Dunlop Ultex picks.

The cables were for cleaning up my pedal board and replacing some connections, and the delay is just plain fun.

Katastrophe
December 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
This year I recieved three Tee-Shirts, one sweater, and a University of Texas "hoodie" sweatshirt, and $100 total from various sources. Mrs. Kat and I usually pool our Christmas money together and do something fun for the family.

Mrs. Kat and I did not exchange gifts this year. The kids made out okay with some good stuff. Older Kid Kat's grandparents and greatgrandfather pooled their money and got her a Wii Fit attachment and game for her Wii.

Baby Kat got a set of drums, a bouncy horse, and a a bunch of other toys.

No gear for me.

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 08:47 AM
DiMarzio Pickups

Weller Soldering Station for mods

and this

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture017.jpg

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Baby Kat got a set of drums, ...

No gear for me.

I've been down that road twice - say goodbye to what little sanity you have left.

street music
December 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM
No guitar gear here either, a couple of guitar t-shirts and with the newly built computer and wide screen LCD monitor I can see the training DVDs and videos much better.

bigoldron
December 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I got a set of GFS Texas Premium Strat pickups and the "Made in Mexico" Tremolo upgrade kit that includes a new bridge and saddles and the solid steel trem block that's supposed to greatly improve sustain. I can't wait to get these new mods in!

piebaldpython
December 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM
OK, for X-mas, I bagged:
Sennheiser HD201 headphones
Digitech RP250

And for 2009, the plan is to work (and really HOPE, aha) on getting:
A bonafide tube amp (Peavey Royal 8 5W; OR; a Crate V50-112)
An electric lap steel guit
Bad Monkey
A BYOC pedal or two from DVM

marnold
December 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Well, I got the money for my Spector Performer that I bought in October. Vinni also sent my some V-Pick samples that I got on Christmas Eve.

Gil Janus
December 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
What I got:

a Duh Voodoo Man built BYOC Script Phaser;
a Planet Waves Fret Poishing Kit;
the following books:
Foundations for Guitar Book 1 by Mark Wein
30-Day Guitar Workout (Book & Dvd) by Jody Fisher
Million Dollar Bash: Bob Dylan, The Band, and the Basement Tapes by Sid Griffin
R. Crumb's Heros of Blues, Jazz & Country (with CD) by Stephen Clat, David Jansen & Richard Nevins
and the DVD - John Mayer "Where the light is - Live in L.A."

What my daughter got:

an Essex Gypsy Rose PB-J Bass in Purple (32" scale)
an Ibanez SWX20 - a 20w Bass Amp
strap, cable and stand
2 books for learning

And the elves left some percussion instruments:

Schalloch Bongos, Claves, a Cowbell w/ Beater, and 2 Tambourines
and a couple of books about how to play bongos correctly :thwap:

In all, a very musical Christmas :AOK:

Gil :cool:

Bloozcat
December 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM
As far as guitar gear goes that I got for Christmas:

An amp stand
Another Strat style guitar case
A double guitar stand
A Wilkinson tremolo w/steel block (for a Strat project)
A BYOC Classic Phaser kit

...and a few other little odds and ends for projects.

I was very disappointed with Warmoth, though. On December 11th my wife ordered two pickguards and a set of Kluson/Gotoh vintage style Stat/Tele tuners from Warmoth. They didn't even ship them until December 22nd, and then UPS compounded the problem by "re-scheduling" the delivery for January 5th, which means that UPS mis-routed the package. :reallymad:

The good news is that Music 123 came through with very fast, & free shipping, along with 15% off on the entire order. With some of the items being bulky and and a little heavy, the free shipping was much welcomed by Mrs. Bloozcat. :AOK:

GFS was efficient with ordering and shipping as usual. :AOK:

Spudman
December 26th, 2008, 11:57 AM
What I got:

And the elves left some percussion instruments:

Schalloch Bongos, Claves, a Cowbell w/ Beater, and 2 Tambourines
and a couple of books about how to play bongos correctly :thwap:

How is that Schalloch stuff? I've been looking at one of their cajons and am curious if it is a decent quality.

Guitar-Chris
December 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
How is that Schalloch stuff? I've been looking at one of their cajons and am curious if it is a decent quality.

The Schalloch Cajons are quite good. As other Schalloch Equipment, they are built by Meinl as far as I know.

pes_laul
December 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I've been down that road twice - say goodbye to what little sanity you have left.

Just remember kat http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZDJSDWBZB1 these are your friend:AOK:

Geraint Jones
December 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I got my hands on the roadhouse strat thats been under the Christmas tree for the past 3 weeks . So far I`m pretty impressed with it considering my prior Strat phobia / issues . The neck is relly good , I`ve noticed all my other guitars have rosewood fingerboards and this one makes a nice change with the 'tinted' maple .

Andy
December 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Gear-wise I recieved the Korg Pandora px5d

and a Paul Gilbert guitar lessons DVD set(it's still in the mail somewhere :thwap: )

Gil Janus
December 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
The bongos are very well made - they came with a tuning wrench :D

I paid $59.99 - they are now on sale at $49.99 :thwap: We got the Vintage Sunburst - very nice, sounds good to my ears :bravo:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schalloch-Wood-Bongo-Set?sku=444771

The other stuff we got are by Latin Percussion - they seem to manufacture nice stuff.

duhvoodooman
December 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I got THIS BOOK (http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Chords-PAUL-ROLAND/dp/1841936383), which will save me a lot of time searching around on the web for weird chords. And a guitar mouse pad. And I bought myself that nifty Xaviere XV-820 Tele copy. :D

pes_laul
December 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
My Christmas Presensts

My Crate
A couple shirts
Some Dunlop tortex picks
80 bucks for a new Delay pedal

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM
The bongos are very well made - they came with a tuning wrench :D

I paid $59.99 - they are now on sale at $49.99 :thwap: We got the Vintage Sunburst - very nice, sounds good to my ears :bravo:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schalloch-Wood-Bongo-Set?sku=444771

The other stuff we got are by Latin Percussion - they seem to manufacture nice stuff.

When did you buy them? If you bought them within the last 45 days, they will refund the difference if you purchased them from MF.

"If you find a lower advertised price from any authorized U.S. dealer, call or email us. We'll beat any verifiable advertised price before or after the sale. If you've already purchased from us and find a lower advertised price within 45 days of your purchase, contact us via phone or email and we'll refund the difference after verification."

I've done it before and have told others that have been successful.

Gil Janus
December 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM
When did you buy them? If you bought them within the last 45 days, they will refund the difference if you purchased them from MF.

"If you find a lower advertised price from any authorized U.S. dealer, call or email us. We'll beat any verifiable advertised price before or after the sale. If you've already purchased from us and find a lower advertised price within 45 days of your purchase, contact us via phone or email and we'll refund the difference after verification."

I've done it before and have told others that have been successful.
I bought them back on the 10th! Thank you, I'll do that. I've already got back from MF two coupons for $15 and $20 - one has to be spent by 12/31 - the other by 1/31.

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I bought them back on the 10th! Thank you, I'll do that. I've already got back from MF two coupons for $15 and $20 - one has to be spent by 12/31 - the other by 1/31.

A guy over at the Epi forum bought a Riviera (I believe that's what it was) and about 43 days later it went down in price by $249. I PM's him and told him to contact them and about a week later he told me they refunded him the difference.

Gil Janus
December 26th, 2008, 01:30 PM
A guy over at the Epi forum bought a Riviera (I believe that's what it was) and about 43 days later it went down in price by $249. I PM's him and told him to contact them and about a week later he told me they refunded him the difference.
Now that's customer service :AOK:

Once more thank you, you are the man :master:

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Now that's customer service :AOK:

Once more thank you, you are the man :master:

I think most of them offer it (m123, MF...) but most people think it applies if you find another store with a lower cost. I had an Epi SG that dropped by about $75 and that's how I found out that they would refund the difference.

warren0728
December 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
my kids got me a monster cable prolink performa 500 guitar cable and a really cool handmade one-of-a-kind wooden guitar strap from levy's guitar straps.....

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/ww0728/gear/guitar_strap.jpg

http://www.levysleathers.com/

and of course i got myself the handbuilt by dvm "phazed and confused" phaser pedal....

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/ww0728/gear/phazed_and_confused.jpg

i got my daughter a really nice acoustic guitar....

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/ww0728/family/jessie_with_guitar.jpg

http://www.staggmusic.com/products/products_detail.php?langue=uk&catid=108&oneid=328

i got my son guitar hero world tour and his mom got him a fluegel horn and french horn (he is currently playing trombone)....

....a musical christmas for sure!

Katastrophe
December 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM

My sanity has been gone a long time, my friend.;)

The drums are just kiddie toys, and were designed remarkably well. They don't make much noise at all. Mrs. Kat got some pics of me and Baby Kat "jamming.":D

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Warren, I told you the kids would come through in a big way. Very cool strap.

Your daughter looks like a natural.

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Just remember kat http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZDJSDWBZB1 these are your friend:AOK:

Proving yet again, you are wise beyond your years.

ted s
December 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I got a really nice music stand, no more books falling on the floor when you look at it funny.

pes_laul
December 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Proving yet again, you are wise beyond your years.
well when your trying to set up your rig and your drummer is just pounding away only two feet away you learn to adapt to this stuff ya know:pancake:

R_of_G
December 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I didn't get anything of note gearwise, but my daughter got her first ever musical instrument. My sister bought her a toy piano. I hope it begins her down the road to a lifelong love of music. She seems to like it so far.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/IMG_1758.jpg

warren0728
December 26th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I didn't get anything of note gearwise, but my daughter got her first ever musical instrument. My sister bought her a toy piano. I hope it begins her down the road to a lifelong love of music. She seems to like it so far.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/IMG_1758.jpg

oh man....that is a great picture....

R_of_G
December 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Warren.

She really seems to love the thing. Being only 6 months old, it took her a few minutes to work out the whole causality thing and realize that the noises she heard were happening because she was hitting the keyboard, but once she made that connection, she got a huge smile on her face.

I took some pics then handed the camera to my wife and took down my acoustic and started jamming with the baby.

Katastrophe
December 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Isn't amazing how fast the little ones pick up stuff? My 2 year old amazes me every day.

She sure is a cutie, R of G.:AOK:

Warren, are you teaching your daughter? She looks like she's ready for a lesson!

M29
December 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I got a few bucks for Christmas and met a friend at GC. GAS overcame me and I brought a Boss DD3 home. I Got itchy as I was going to get a Digitech Digidelay instead but they did not have one. Oh well I like the DD3 so far and Joe Bonnamassa uses one so thats cool...

warren0728
December 26th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Warren, are you teaching your daughter? She looks like she's ready for a lesson!
yeah....she has the "c" chord down and is now working on the "d" :bravo:

R_of_G
December 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Katastrophe. :)

Warren, that's awesome that your daughter is learning to play. I'm sure playing together is something you two will come to cherish.

just strum
December 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM

I'll tell you what, she looks like a natural.

Great pic.

sunvalleylaw
December 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Good on ya, Warren, Kat, and R_of_G (and anyone else getting their kids into playing)! Getting the young ones interested during the time they can learn so much so naturally is great!

mrmudcat
December 26th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I got ..:thwap: ...ummmmmmmmmmmmm my boys got thier green metalic les paul robot guitar!!!!

It has been useful and really although Im OLSKOOL its kinda of a cool tool for the alternate tunings!!!

Pics as soon as I get a new camera or find the sony only disks that is for my camera:whatever:

warren0728
December 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Warren, that's awesome that your daughter is learning to play. I'm sure playing together is something you two will come to cherish.

yeah....i hope she sticks with it! my son is playing trombone in his middle school band and he and i have done some playing together lately!

Good on ya, Warren, Kat, and R_of_G (and anyone else getting their kids into playing)! Getting the young ones interested during the time they can learn so much so naturally is great!

thanks steve....it's amazing how quick they learn when they're young....

Squireman131
December 27th, 2008, 01:52 AM
From my grandparents i got a set of GHS something strings, dunlop picks, and a levy's strap. My brother got me a 20 foot cable and my girlfriend got me ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom strings.

bigoldron
December 27th, 2008, 07:44 AM
R_of_G: Good job! Start 'em young & get 'em hooked early! She's a real cutie! :bravo:

Warren: How old's your daughter? She looks way too much like my 12 year old. My baby's playing xylophone in the 6th grade band and shows some potential, but I don't know if she's gonna stick with it. :D

Mrmudcat: Congrats on the new "Robo-Paul". I hope it's working for you! It sounds kinda like the train set or RC vehicles that Santa brings the kids - of course, we have to show them how to use them. ;)

warren0728
December 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Warren: How old's your daughter? She looks way too much like my 12 year old. My baby's playing xylophone in the 6th grade band and shows some potential, but I don't know if she's gonna stick with it. :D

she will be 10 in a few days.... :thwap:

my son is in 6th grade too....he is loving band and wants to learn as many wind instruments as he can....he played guitar a little when he was younger but didn't stick with it....he might pick it up again someday....

mrmudcat
December 27th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Mrmudcat: Congrats on the new "Robo-Paul". I hope it's working for you! It sounds kinda like the train set or RC vehicles that Santa brings the kids - of course, we have to show them how to use them. ;)

It has been good for my arm to leave it in its case pull up the knob pluck strings to whatever tuning and let the cpu do its thing!!!! You know it would really kill me to hold a paul and tune it right now ! Of course the boys can do it but ya know us rebels got balls of pride but ya know the current backstory and feeling blue(missing dixie) isnt good!!Peace brother!:AOK:

Of course if it dies it is mine to frankenstein!!!:rockon:

bigoldron
December 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
It has been good for my arm to leave it in its case pull up the knob pluck strings to whatever tuning and let the cpu do its thing!!!! You know it would really kill me to hold a paul and tune it right now ! Of course the boys can do it but ya know us rebels got balls of pride but ya know the current backstory and feeling blue(missing dixie) isnt good!!Peace brother!:AOK:

I understand the pride thing!

Of course if it dies it is mine to frankenstein!!!:rockon:

And oh what a MONSTER that'd be! :bravo:

Hang in there my friend, you'll be in Dixie soon! :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
December 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Very cool strap there Warren!

Childbride
December 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM

ditto!

and warren, that is a very cool strap. :)

i got a new 'kansas mom' tshirt... :)

peachhead
December 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM
My wife and kids gave me a couple of good books and some DVDs I had been wanting. My brother gave me a bushnell rangefinder which I thought was pretty cool. I didn't get anything musical but really didn't ask for anything either- so just for the heck of it, I ordered myself a mandolin which should be coming next week. :D

mrmudcat
December 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM
My wife and kids gave me a couple of good books and some DVDs I had been wanting. My brother gave me a bushnell rangefinder which I thought was pretty cool. I didn't get anything musical but really didn't ask for anything either- so just for the heck of it, I ordered myself a mandolin which should be coming next week. :D

Peach my brother id trade a thousand robo pauls to be sitting where ya are!!:smile-us:

wingsdad
December 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Two books that will help me work on my musical goal for 2009, that was my goal for 2008 that got sidetracked by life's twists & turns:

How To Write Songs On Guitar by Rikky Rooksby (http://www.amazon.com/How-Write-Songs-Guitar-Guitar-Playing/dp/0879306114/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229567493&sr=1-1)

and

Melody-How To Write Great Tunes by Rikky Rooksby (http://www.amazon.com/Melody-How-Write-Great-Tunes/dp/0879308192/ref=pd_sim_b_5)

The 2nd one takes one or 2 of the chapters of the first book and goes full-boat with the topics, where the first book is pretty much a 'primer', and comes with a 90-track CD that accompanies the examples laid out in notation and/or guitar tab.

Now, if only the Moon & Stars will line up properly this year, I may actually accomplish something...:whatever:

Blaze
December 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM
if only the Moon & Stars

Nice theme or title for a song .....

Robert
December 28th, 2008, 10:57 PM
My Xmas presents for myself was first the SE-70 then yesterday the RC Booster Scott Henderson signature model. Sweet stuff!

peachhead
December 28th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Peach my brother id trade a thousand robo pauls to be sitting where ya are!!:smile-us:

Come on, brother, I got plenty of room and a big ol' front porch to sit on. :D

mrmudcat
December 28th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I promise you ill be their(or close) by this time next year I hope:dude:

bigoldron
December 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I promise you ill be their(or close) by this time next year I hope:dude:

Well, what are you waitin' on? You need to be packing already! :D

mrmudcat
December 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Well, what are you waitin' on? You need to be packing already! :D

Iam I packed up two pauls today Mr Roboto,and the tv yellow faded!!! Only thing on the stand is mary jane and she will be getting a work out today cause im a lil mean today:thwap:

Or so im told ! :poke: :whatever: (see mean):mad:

Algonquin
December 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM
No guitar gear to speak of, but I did get a new 'BPA' free Nalgene water bottle :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
January 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I dunno how how I missed this thread, oh wait, first I was up in ATL and then a day after returning went up to W. Va. over New Year's, that's how!

Anyhow, great shots of the kids guys!

I had no plans to buy anything. But things have been falling into my lap lately out of the blue. Late last year, my Christmas present to myself, a Dano Hodad for $250 USD:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3141374077_74b1b0f4a0.jpg

Then just a couple days ago, stumbled on this '84-'86 USA Peavey Fury bass for $125:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/3177684432_e5372072ed.jpg

Effectively, the Fury bass is kinda an indirect present (albeit too late to be a Christmas one) to my daughter as well as myself. She has my (MIJ Squier) P-bass on "permanent loan" as she tries to learn it. So by getting a third bass for myself, when I gig or practice I can have a bass and a backup without taking "hers" for the evening.

R_of_G
January 7th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Both very nice guitars Brian!

Brian Krashpad
January 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Both very nice guitars Brian!

Thanks man. The Dano was on Craigslist, turned out the seller was a bud of mine from the local indie/punk scene whom I've known for the better part of 20 years, and with whom have had gear deals with in the past.

Now I really need to get some gigs and rehearsals going so I can try this stuff out properly!

R_of_G
January 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
A friend of mine has a Danelectro silver sparkle bass that I wish he'd sell me but it'll never happen.

thearabianmage
January 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
No gear, only socks :'(

Need to get some new pups 'n' pots for my 335 copy so I can mod 'er up. . . Hopefully soon. I may have to sell a kidney, though. . .