PDA

View Full Version : Uploaded some Demos

Andy
December 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I uploaded some demos.(peer pressure ..lol)
These are the tracks (so far) for a work in progress between myself and a Drummer (Lou). Vocals will be done by Lou's Brother who is a great singer.
The tracks are still rough ,with a few guitar solo ideas added where the Final solos will go. I also added 2 of the tracks again with guide vocals by Lou.

I had problems mixing the tracks with some clipping problems so we stripped them back to point where they cleaned back up. way back

All recording is done on my Roland digital workstation, with real mics, amps drums ,the old way:)

http://www.box.net/shared/9oo2czp8bq

I'll update the progress as we go , we have 2 more tracks going that I will add soon.This has been a fun project(tho alot of work !) so far.

Id like to hear comments about the mix, track volumes..ect , after listening to it so many times it's easy to start overlooking problems going on in the mix and now is the time to fix them

GREENMACHINE
December 26th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hey Andy,
Sounds awesome dude! All the songs sound great!!
The guitars could be a little louder on the waiting by the window song, so they come over the drums a little bit more. But thats just what my preference is.

Nice job man,
Cav

Andy
December 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
thanks ! and thanks for the input on Waiting,that would be an easy change.

Spudman
December 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Sounds good but I'd back the drum track down just a tiny bit and run it through some eq to change the sound of the snare a little bit and take some off the top so the cymbals aren't so bright.

The bass guitar sounds good. That's the instrument that gives me the most trouble.

Without changing the levels maybe try adding some mids and low mids to the guitars.

Nice feeling tune.:AOK:

piebaldpython
December 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Andy.......on the WAITING tune.....knock the drums down and get the guitar up more in the mix. I shouldn't have to strain to hear your solos, which is what I did during my first listen. The second listen confirmed that you're a real good guitar player....nice soloing....fix that mix. :D

Andy
December 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks I will do that,
these are just basic recordings off the board and none of the actual solos are recorded yet. what few there are ,were just noodeling with ideas,effects,wha ect...

also with the track eq'ing I'm waiting to get vocals recorded so I can better EQ the guitars in the mix without them batteling with vocals and bass.
It's one of the hardest parts for me.

thanks for all the tips it really helps alot.

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to listening tomorrow when I have some more time. I love it when members post clips! :AOK:

oldguy
December 28th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks for posting those, Andy! :beer:
You've got some good compositions there, they rock.:AOK:
I'd agree with the others on easing the drums back a little, and/or fattening up the guitar so it cuts through a bit.
Your playing is really good on all these tracks, btw. What guitar(s)/amphs did you use?

Oh, yeah, I'm sure someone will want to know what mics you used, as in, did you use any Shure SM-57's? :D

Andy
December 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM
All the amps were thru the sm57,and in some cases I added a very distant AT4033(condensor).
Peavey 5150 combo or 74 marshall head with 70's 4 x 12 cab.

Les paul on all the guitar tracks so far

Bass is my cheap Kramer, combination sm57 and direct

marnold
December 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'm (finally) listening to them and enjoying! Keep up the good work!

Robert
December 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Sounds good Andy, thanks for posting.

M29
December 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I liked them alot! On my end the level was pretty low but the songs sounded great. Nice guitar work and vocals. :AOK:

Blaze
December 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Good rockin stuff man !

Congrats ..

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM
Andy, from the first song I clicked I liked it. I can't add anything re: mix and such, but I sure do like the music.:AOK:

hagarfreak33
December 31st, 2008, 12:00 PM
The Songs sound great

Andy
January 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
no song updates but..

I made a major change to the recording setup.
I am no longer going to use the stand-alone digital workstation.
I now have abelton on a seperate computer and a drum program installed.
I can still use the live drums and live mics thru the board into the computer If I need to.

The problem is the learning curve for the software, yesterday I had trouble recording a simple guitar track ! but I can see the benefit of going to visual recording and it's huge.
With the workstation I have to get everything going on inside my head and thats becoming a chore, the layers of setting go really deep, more effort than necessary.
as far as the existing tracks we will try to inject them into the computer. worse case... may have to start over but thats ok. atleast we have plenty of material to work with.

right now I'm fighting the latency demon, and it looks like I will have to resolve that issue before I't can really go any further.

May be a while before I make some progress to the demo's.
I'm looking forward to using the software based system, hoping it will be a vast improvement.