PDA

View Full Version : How to cut a new nut?

tremoloman
June 28th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Anyone have advice on how to cut a nut? I always use pre-cut Graph Tech models since I have the creativity of an ant with a crayola.

t_ross33
June 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
My advice: don't. Unless you have the correct tools, files, guages etc. I tried to cut my own and "eyeball" it against the one I was replacing and my guitar sounded like crap. Intonation was all over the map and tuning was a bee-otch. Caved in and had a graphite nut professionally installed along with a proper setup and it sounds absolutely awesome now. Intonation is dead on all over the fretboard (or at least as close as one can reasonably get it on a budget axe). Didn't think a nut would make as big a difference, but it did.

My 0.02. Oh, and it was cheap too. $40 installed and set up. Why bother with anything else?

Trev

tremoloman
June 28th, 2006, 02:20 PM
My advice: don't. Unless you have the correct tools, files, guages etc. I tried to cut my own and "eyeball" it against the one I was replacing and my guitar sounded like crap. Intonation was all over the map and tuning was a bee-otch. Caved in and had a graphite nut professionally installed along with a proper setup and it sounds absolutely awesome now. Intonation is dead on all over the fretboard (or at least as close as one can reasonably get it on a budget axe). Didn't think a nut would make as big a difference, but it did.

My 0.02. Oh, and it was cheap too. $40 installed and set up. Why bother with anything else?

Trev

You would think someone would make pre-cut nuts for guitars made of various materials. Do I see a startup in my future? I wonder if there is a market for such an item. I realize most people would need to do a little adjusting, but the pre-cut Graphite ones do work wonders for me.

SuperSwede
June 29th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Well, here is a entire plate of pre-cut nuts!!!

All for you T-man :D

http://www.halfnuts.net/images/NutPartyTray_190w_opt_cut.jpg

tremoloman
June 29th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Well, here is a entire plate of pre-cut nuts!!!

All for you T-man :D

http://www.halfnuts.net/images/NutPartyTray_190w_opt_cut.jpg

Ahhhh... you just made my day! I LOVE bad humor! :)