PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch

Lev
December 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I got an iPod touch from my wife for Christmas and I'm really impressed with this little device. I've never been too interested in mp3 players up to now but this baby offers so much more. The Internet browser is seriously impressive, I connected it to my home wi-fi network and now have the Internet at my finger tips (I'm even using it now to post here!). While browsing a web site you just need to double tap the screen on any area you want to zoom into and double tap again to zoom out again. A really clever interface for giving fully functioning web access on a small form factor device. There's also a deadicated YouTube browser which shows videos using the full iPod screen - just flip it on it's side and it auto adjusts to wide screen. There's an email client that you can setup on any Internet email service, maps, calendar, calculator.... Oh yeah and it plays mp3 and videos. I haven't had this much fun without a guitar in a long time. Anyone else got one?

sunvalleylaw
December 27th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Cool! I have the iPhone and it does all you are saying, plus I have "apps" loaded so that I have chord dictionaries/builders, tuners, metronomes, etc. as long as I have my phone with me. There are ear trainers, fretboard instruction and others available too that I don't have yet. A list of "must haves" appeared in Premier Guitar this month. I bet a lot work on your iPod touch too.

ted s
December 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I've had a Touch since the summer after I put my nano through the washing machine. A great little unit like you say. I had been using it mostly in the car with an FM transmitter to listen to podcasts.
Steve, any details on those apps you're talking about ?

sunvalleylaw
December 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Ted, go to iTunes and go to the app store, and search around under music. I can't link you to specific pages as it is in iTunes and not on the web. Premier Guitar has in the current issue what they feel to be the top 10. Maybe that part of the mag is online too, if you don't receive that magazine. Guitar Toolkit is $9.99 US, but has a metronome, tuner, chord finder and more in it and a good place to start. I just checked and it works for both iPhones and iPod Touch. I bet most do. Search for metronomes and you will find several free ones. I like iTick myself.

EDIT: Ted, I just looked, and you can read the article online here http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/200901/?u1=texterity and sign up to receive the digital edition of the mag free if you don't already get it. Good article on Hartley Peavey in this edition too. :AOK:

EDIT AGAIN: The link takes you to the first page, you have to hit table of contents to find the iPhone/iPod app article. It is page 41.

Algonquin
June 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
What a wicked little MP3 player. :AOK: My daughter was asking for an Ipod for her birthday which was last week. She'd mentioned she would like one like mom's... an Ipod classic. I mentioned this to a buddy at work who told me about the Ipod Touch series. Although they don't have the huge storage capacity of the classics, they do have an incredible screen for video! She's loving the built in WiFi connection so she can browse YouTube, check the weather, and listen to her tunes, all from the comfort of her room. She likes the sound from the headphones, but isn't overly thrilled with the fit.... but something a little more ergonomically designed might help.

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
My kids friends love them for the games, and they have loaded a few of the free games on my iPhone for when I let them borrow it. The same game apps work on my iPhone as work on the Touch. I wonder if the metronome, tuner, etc. that I have on my iPhone would work on a touch. Maybe not, if there is not a microphone. I have not looked that closely at them. I so far use just the standard headphones, but there are a lot out there.

markb
June 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
In theory you can even use the Touch as a remote for your Mac's iTunes library. In practice I don't think anyone's ever got the app to work. It's a shame because I've got a 50GB+ music library on one of my external drives and Airport Expresses wired up to remote speakers in the living room and our studio/workroom (well, OK, shed). A remote that works through walls would be really handy and would save conflicts over who has which iPod in which room.

Lev
June 9th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Maybe not, if there is not a microphone. I have not looked that closely at them. I so far use just the standard headphones, but there are a lot out there.

I think you can now buy an external Mic so you can use as a tuner and for skype etc.

I still love this gadget, no longer do I have to wait for my PC to boot up to check my mail, theFret, facebook, myspace etc. My PC has actually started gathering dust.

ted s
June 9th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Mark, I have the remote app, no problem, I don't have use for though.

Monkus
June 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I also got the iTouch for my wife early this year. I found it so cool that we now all have iPhones. Insteas of 4 laptops around the house its just the iPhones. I think we're about to see a lot of change regarding how we access information off the internet. We're almost at Star Trek level

...now if we could only get the transporter beams to stop interfering with the matter-antimatter core.

M29
October 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Hello,

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I was talking to a guy that was cleaning our carpets today and he also played guitar. He mentioned that he got a 4 track recorder that goes into the itouch player. He said it was 5 dollars and with a headphone setup and mic for 80 extra dollars he could record his guitar on 4 tracks. Cool! I must get one someday.

ibanezjunkie
October 28th, 2009, 02:32 AM
pretty much everyone i know, besides me and my girlfriend, use ipod touch.

nano ftw.