PDA

View Full Version : Hark, the Herald Angels Surf....

duhvoodooman
December 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM
....strummin' out that Peace on Earth! :D

This is what you get when you play a favorite old Christmas hymn on a Xaviere XV-820 Tele copy through a Line 6 Tone Direct box using their Gearbox Plug-in "Malibu" tone setting. It's a '64 Blackface Deluxe Reverb emulation, with plenty of surf-ilicious tremolo & reverb (I actually toned it down some!). The analog output of the Tone Direct box is run into the Line In of my PC sound card and recorded with Audacity. The pickup setting on the guitar is the bridge & neck in series, which I can get using a push/pull switch I wired in. Pretty much the same tone as the B+N in parallel, but more depth and presence. Sounds really good with some distortion, but that wasn't apropos for this tune, which I've been practicing for an evening church service on Sunday. My daughter will do the singing.

Anyway, it seemed to fit the season nicely, so I thought I'd record & post it:

http://www.box.net/shared/8eipu82u2j

just strum
December 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM
What, no Little Drummer Boy???:D

duhvoodooman
December 27th, 2008, 12:27 PM
No, but stop by the house and hum a few bars, and I'll be happy to tap out a little pah-rum-pah-pum-pum on your cranium with my new Tele. It's got an ash body, so your skull won't hurt it none.

Aw, rats, there goes that "good will toward men" thing.... ;)

Blaze
December 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Nice Xaviere guitar tone , Nice Dvm Tremolo sound and nice playin..

:AOK:

just strum
December 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
No, but stop by the house and hum a few bars, and I'll be happy to tap out a little pah-rum-pah-pum-pum on your cranium with my new Tele. It's got an ash body, so your skull won't hurt it none.

Aw, rats, there goes that "good will toward men" thing.... ;)

You will convert, everyone does.:poke:

tjcurtin1
December 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Ringin' out like Christmas bells!

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2008, 12:08 AM

LOL!! there is that good ol' holiday spirit. ;) Nice tone, thanks for sharing DVM!

oldguy
December 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Nice one, Vood! That Tele sounds good, so does that setting.:AOK:
I bet you could do some righteous surf tunes with that setup.........thanks for sharing, I was feelin' that Malibu vibe as the angels sang.:D

tunghaichuan
December 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Cool. Excellent rendition. :AOK:

tung

peachhead
December 29th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm a little slow, but that was cool. Kind of like The Ventures do Christmas.
:AOK:

Algonquin
December 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry DVM, I listened to this the other day over and over, and like a dork I didn't post a comment :thwap: Anywhoooo... I thought it was great :AOK:

Surf's up Dude :D

SuperSwede
December 30th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I missed this before... this is really nice DVM!

duhvoodooman
December 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks, guys--always appreciate the encouragement. It went over pretty well at the contemporary church service Sunday night. I played that as the intro and then my daughter sang the original hymn's three verses. It was the only one of the 5 songs we did that I used an electric guitar for(the Xaviere Tele), but I had a couple of positive comments afterwards. Ours is a fairly conservative Lutheran congregation, so I tend to be a bit apprehensive about departures from the standard musical fare. They're definitely not ready for an LP with a distortion pedal yet, but this seemed to be well received.

I wrote some modified lyrics for it, staying with the Malibu/surf theme--kind of a guitar player's take on the message. Needless to say, we did NOT use those for the church service!

Hark, the herald angels surf,
Celebrating Jesus’ birth.
Start with twang & add some trem,
Peace on earth, good will toward men!
Though this tune is one of old,
We still like to rock & roll.
Praise the Lord how e’er you will,
With a bend, a slur, a trill.
Hark, the herald angels surf,
Strummin’ out that peace on earth.

peachhead
December 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Now that's cool! I'm gonna have to make sure I find this thread again next year.

Katastrophe
December 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Awesome, DVM. That Xaviere sounds great!

Robert
December 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Nice arrangement! Good playing Vood, I loves me that tremolo.

M29
December 31st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Oh man I missed this Vood! Nice sound and masterfully done. I did a duet with my daughter a while back, what a great time!! Congrats.

M