PDA

View Full Version : The Midas Touch

just strum
December 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well, I found out where that slogan originated from. I went there the other day to get a quote on fixing my exhaust - price was $1,200. I told him the problem was in the front section only, but he insisted that the whole thing needed replaced.

I put the thing on ramps this morning, crawled underneath and I am going to be able to fix it for $50 and meet government requirements. It's probably about a 45 to 60 minute job to do it myself.

I told my wife $50 plus special tools. I'm thinking a Blackheart might get the job done or maybe a new semi hollowbody or it could be tougher than expected and I might need both.

duhvoodooman
December 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I told my wife $50 plus special tools. I'm thinking a Blackheart might get the job done or maybe a new semi hollowbody or it could be tougher than expected and I might need both.
....and you'll still be w-a-a-a-y under $1200.

Katastrophe
December 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
By any chance did any of the parts at the Midas shop have the label "Gibson" on them?

Andy
December 27th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Like only Gibsons are expensive :thwap:

just strum
December 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Like only Gibsons are expensive :thwap:

Andy's right. The pipe was marked Gibson, but all the clamps, bolts, nuts were marked Gretsch, Ric, and Fender.

Katastrophe
December 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Should I have mentioned PRS?:D :thwap:

Andy
December 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I notice the new fender malmsteen beatup strat is $10500,and several fenders in the 4-5000 range
I've never seen a gibson sig cost near that much.(I guess Gibson is just the fav to pick on) no biggie

just strum
December 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I notice the new fender malmsteen beatup strat is $10500,and several fenders in the 4-5000 range
I've never seen a gibson sig cost near that much.(I guess Gibson is just the fav to pick on) no biggie

So we can say Gibson is a good buy and a discount compared to others.

Andy
December 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
If you look at all the brands price wise,it seems like Gibson is more in the middle.they avg $900 to $3,500.
Fenders go for upward of 4-5000 for a "relic" as well

there are several guitar/brands that >start< at 2500-3000
(often copies of fenders and gibsons)

3000 is way out of my range but I can find oodles of guitars for that and much more, and they are not often Gibson by any means.

A les Paul takes nearly 500 steps to build and 85% are by hand.
it's not a production foreign made instrument and they hold their value very well.
so yes I consider them a good buy and you will always get a good chunk of your investment back, they still make a great guitar. If I sold mine today I would make 1,400-1,700 profit from the original purchase price.
how can I bash that?

just strum
December 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
so yes I consider them a good buy and you will always get a good chunk of your investment back, they still make a great guitar. If I sold mine today I would make 1,400-1,700 profit from the original purchase price.
how can I bash that?

I want an ES335, no need to convince me.

Katastrophe
December 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM
A les Paul takes nearly 500 steps to build and 85% are by hand.
it's not a production foreign made instrument and they hold their value very well.
how can I bash that?

Ummm... Did I offend? If so, I apologize. The comment was meant tongue in cheek anyway.

Andy
December 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
no offence taken , just talking guitars
sorry for taking it off topic, I should be in the Gibson forum:poke:

just strum
December 28th, 2008, 04:13 PM
no offence taken , just talking guitars
sorry for taking it off topic, I should be in the Gibson forum:poke:

It's not off topic, topic is GAS money.