PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Player Magazine....my frustrations

TS808
December 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I picked up the last two issues of Guitar Player Magazine the last two months. I've always liked their gear reviews, and last month was a comparison of guitars, and February 2009 had reviews of 8 amps, 7 hollowbodies, and 4 Neo speakers.

Here is where my aggravation comes in with Guitar Player.

Their reviews lately have been solely on high end, boutique gear, that most players won't be able to afford in their lifetime, or just don't want to kick the cash out for.

In the February 09 issue, they do a review of amps and include amps from Victoria, Trillium, Carr, Orange, and King. They did manage to squeeze a page in about the Peavey Vypyr 75 and the Traynor Custom Special 50.

What ever happened to reviews on guitars such as Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, etc.? Or amps such as Marshall, Fender, Crate, Peavey, etc.?

Lately Guitar Player seems to be catering to the cork sniffer crowd. Personally, I would prefer to see reviews on gear that folks use that frequent forums such as this.

Sorry about the rant, but with alot of good production products out there or being introduced, I just don't see them getting as much coverage.

Andy
December 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM
If you take a cruise around Harmony central forums, it's obvious the youngsters are only interested in high end amps ,guitars and high end pedals.
and the majority seem to have unlimited funds.

Spudman
December 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I also think it is an effort to help smaller companies get exposure. The larger companies have more affordable gear and everyone knows it. The smaller companies make a great product but don't have the advertising budget so I think GP giving them exposure is a good thing.

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
And interestingly, at the same time, Premier Guitar has had some features on "regular guy" gear and gear makers, like the BYOC pedal article and this month's interview with Hartley Peavey. I had found that mag to be a bit cork sniffy at first. I have not had a huge problem with GP, and I have seen a good mix of articles since I started receiving it a year or so ago. The Hagsrom Vik review is a good example, but I bet the trends go in waves.

peachhead
December 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Not trying to change the subject but I get the same basic argument from a gun magazine I subscribe to- letters to the editor complaining about the high end stuff they review instead of what regular folks can afford.
Their answer normally is, we try to balance it out, but it appears that a lot of people like to read about what they can't actually go out and pick up every day. I can understand that, but then again, I do like to read about things that actually apply to me, as well.
I have yet to get either of these (GP or PG), but maybe soon I can change that.

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Not trying to change the subject but I get the same basic argument from a gun magazine I subscribe to- letters to the editor complaining about the high end stuff they review instead of what regular folks can afford.
Their answer normally is, we try to balance it out, but it appears that a lot of people like to read about what they can't actually go out and pick up every day. I can understand that, but then again, I do like to read about things that actually apply to me, as well.
I have yet to get either of these (GP or PG), but maybe soon I can change that. If you have a low-end gun you can just go & get any gun you wish if you sneak up on the owner. ;)

It's a little harder to take someones, let's say Suhr, using just a, ummm Godin Radiator, but it can be done. :D

I like to read some of the boutique reviews, but I agree with TS808, I'd like some reviews of lower cost gear.

helliott
December 29th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Agreed on the concerns. There needs to be more balance, with with GP and its struggling financial situation, there isn't the variety of reviews and gear features there used to be. In a different way, Guitar World frustrates me because it's so dominated by metal.
I still read 'em both. It's like reading high-end travel stuff -- can't afford it, but can enjoy it vicariously.
I treated myself to an issue of Guitarist, the Brit equivalent. It's very much bigger with a tonne more content. Drawbacks are that prices are in pounds and some stuff can't be found here, but it's a great experience, reviews are more likely to be balanced with ample negative stuff, which GP often lacks in my view. And there are cool value adds, such as a little box with every review that gives a brief overview of what competitors the gear has in the market. Very useful.
Got mine at Long and McQuade, don't know who else carries Guitarist. It's typically not too current, but still an added treat and more guitar reading, which can't be bad.

peachhead
December 29th, 2008, 10:04 AM
If you have a low-end gun you can just go & get any gun you wish if you sneak up on the owner. ;)

It's a little harder to take someones, let's say Suhr, using just a, ummm Godin Radiator, but it can be done. :D

I like to read some of the boutique reviews, but I agree with TS808, I'd like some reviews of lower cost gear.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

birv2
December 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Another vote here for reviews of cheaper stuff. I used to be a GW subscriber, but let it drop and started GP, which has more stuff I find useful (I don't play metal). I did notice the guitar and amp reviews in the latest issue, and had the same reaction -- who can afford this stuff??

But I was glad to see that both sections had one or two pieces of gear for the rest of us. Maybe they're reading the forums. :D

Bob

msteeln
January 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
I really enjoy the Brit's 'Guitarist'. It covers many useful aspects and covers the spectrum of price ranges with a fair eye/ear. This is where I got into serious focus on the Squier Classic Vibe guitars/basses, and am always awaiting the next issue.
Premier Guitar is coming on strong with it's info and many interesting and in-depth features. The web releases they've been sending me for a year now are real inticements to buying the mag and reading more, all the while compiling the next Christmas (in summer!) wish list.
The continuing down-turns in the economy will soon have a serious effect on who in the mag world survives and the content will show a difference in content.
GP hasn't done anything for me in quite some time, and GW bags their mag up now on the shelves to disallow seeing if it's of any interest. Can't see where these two will remain viable much longer.
Vintage Guitar still has my interest, but they too have taken a turn down recently. I run thru it pretty fast now.

I tend to focus on the new improved/simpler/compact and reasonably priced recording items these day's, instead of new guitars and all the vintage stuff which is usually over-priced.