PDA

View Full Version : Visited Tone Merchants

Robert
December 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Had a blast yesterday. Left the rest of the family to their shopping spree, while I went to Tone Merchants (http://www.tonemerchants.com/) - a very interesting place to be for a person like you or me. :D

They have a lot of amazing amps, guitar and effects, and I tried as much as I could while I was there, of course. ;)

The place was smaller than I expected, and there weren't a lot of people there on Saturday. Good for me though - I could try anything I wanted.

I can't even remember all I tried, but I took photos I can load up when I get back to the North Pole.

I tried a few Suhrs, and they were great as I would expect. I also tried Nash, K-line and Grosh strats, and they were also really nice. I tried a Tyler strat, but I didn't connect that much with it.

The amps? Well, I have to be honest and say I fell in love with the CAE OD-100. Man, what a great amph! I wish I had money... I also tried Germino amps, Blankenship and others. The Germino was interesting but something was missing. The Blankenship sounded like the best Plexi clone I've ever heard. I tried a big Goodsell with 6L6 tubes that sounded completely amazing for cleaner tones. Amazing.

The OD-100 however, is incredibly versatile. It has Fenderish cleans with some Marshall flavour, and the gain channel sounds big and fat even at lower volumes (not designed to do power tube distortion obviously). They had 2 versions, one more agressive than the other, but both worked great with a strat.

Lastly, I felt I should buy something, and I saw a Scott Henderson signature RC Booster. Tried it through the OD-100 and it was impressive. I got a good deal on it too, and with it comes a signed photo and one of his CDs (one I didn't have!) so needless to say, I got myself another (late) Christmas present! Did I need it? Probably not, but I think I can make very good use of it and I am a fan of Scott's so it seemed appropriate.

I had a fantastic time at this place, and I highly recommend going there if you are in the Anaheim area.

Spudman
December 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Kid in a candy store I bet. I'm surprised that the RC is all you left with. That sounds like a cool shop with higher end equipment. I'd like to visit a place like that too.

Of course I'd leave my wallet at home.

Robert
December 28th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, it's a drool place for sure. Good thing the thick carpet sucks up all that saliva. :)

I also tried the Axe-FX Ultra and it was quite impressive. However, I wasn't as blown away as some of the reviewers of this unit whose reviews I've read/seen. It would be great for recording but for me there's no way it could replace a good amp. Although, if you play in a cover band and need all those different sounds (anything from country twang to metal) - it would be a dream come true. Spud, maybe something for you?

Spudman
December 29th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I also tried the Axe-FX Ultra and it was quite impressive. Spud, maybe something for you?

Ha! Fat chance. I'm pretty well set and I doubt I could pull off the home refinancing to buy it without the Mrs. catching on to me.

Jimi75
December 29th, 2008, 03:53 AM
It would be great for recording but for me there's no way it could replace a good amp.

That is so true! A real amph just kicks bottom!

Congrats on the RC booster. Xotic makes great pedals.

Blaze
December 29th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I bought a Rc booster few months ago , love it but have a little problem with the on -off switch ..

Is the od-100 expensive ?

Blazes

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Tell us more about that CAE OD100.

You've become a Suhroid, Robert.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/amps.aspx