PDA

View Full Version : Reverend Hellhound (new tubes)

Robert
October 31st, 2005, 11:19 AM
I just wanted to mention my little Hellhound. I just recieved new tubes from TheTubeStore.com and wow! My little amp sounds really good now! It uses 2 x 6L6 power tubes and 3 x 12ax7 (plus a 4th one for the reverb).

It sounded a little weak and rattly before the tube change. I'll have to record something for you guys - it sounds nice and tight now.

These amps usually go for 400-500 bucks on eBay. They are no longer in production. It's a great little tube amp that is well worth that money.

Justaguyin_nc
October 31st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Last one I seen on Ebay went for $529 Robert. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7357226036&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 look forward to some more of your wonderfull videos!

Robert
May 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Well here goes another post PRO-Hellhound! I gigged with it today, and it's a marvellous little canine. It doesn't have as many different sounds in it as the Vox AD50VT of course, but it has a sweet tube tone somewhere between a Vox and a Marshall. The only drawback is it can sound a little boxy due to the small size, but hook it up to an extension cab and you're set. Gotta love the Devil's Dog!

Spudman
May 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I've been looking at getting one for an investment myself. It really is too bad that the company is more guitar focused now because those amps are pretty revered...and pricey too. I don't think they are going to ever loose value.

New tubes do amazing things. I just retubed my Calassic 30 and it made a big difference in the sound. I guess the decline is so gradual that I never notice any difference in the sound until I do put new tubes in.

The Crate Vintage however is really noticable when the tubes even start getting weak. It is like all of a sudden the amp just says "OK, I've had enough and I'm stopping right NOW." That amp is a tube eater, but it sure sounds good with fresh tubes. Too bad there are 8 to replace.

SuperSwede
May 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Robert, I saw that my local "musikbörsen" has a used reverend amp. I am not sure on its name, but I think it was Goblin or something similar. I dont remember what they wanted for it. Do you know anything about this amp?
Perhaps a future dental insurance for me ;)

Robert
May 7th, 2006, 05:37 AM
The Goblin is a low watt amp, switchable from 5 to 15 watts I think. It has a 10 inch speaker. Reports say it's also very nice. Perfect for practicing or small gigs. How much do they want for it?

SuperSwede
May 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I think they wanted 3-3500 sek... I dont remember exactly. Is it class A ?

Johnny Z
January 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I just wanted to mention my little Hellhound. I just recieved new tubes from TheTubeStore.com and wow! My little amp sounds really good now! It uses 2 x 6L6 power tubes and 3 x 12ax7 (plus a 4th one for the reverb).

It sounded a little weak and rattly before the tube change. I'll have to record something for you guys - it sounds nice and tight now.

These amps usually go for 400-500 bucks on eBay. They are no longer in production. It's a great little tube amp that is well worth that money.

What kind if tubes?

I have a Hellhound and really like it. I picked mine up used, last winter it was a trade in at a second hand music store in San Jose Ca. Got a good deal on it, if you consider it had been run hard by the guy before me (original owner I think) first I replaced the EH 6L6's with new Ruby's which brought it back to life. Both the EH 6L6's were almost dead when I tried it in the store, and I kind of knew that. After testing all the tubes and measuring Plate and Bias voltages it's no wonder the Power Tubes were weak, all the other tubes tested fine. The Ruby's seem better built and are rated for 500V not 450V like many other 6L6's. This is a good thing since my Plate voltage is running 483 and the Bias is -42 that puts it at about the max hot setting you would want or just under 70% dissipation. I wish there was a bias adjustment so I could set it a tad lower closer to 60% to save on the tubes.

I did change the first preamp tube to a 12AT7 for a little less gain, I also replaced the Alltone speaker, it had been pushed past it's max and was not as clean as it should be, that was more apparent with the new tubes. A 50 watt speaker in a 60 watt amp? Bad Idea! I don't go for speaker distortion, it sucks the fidelity out of your playing. Put a Jensen MOD 110-12 in it and it now it's sweet and clear sounding, great for everything I do, just like I wanted.

These are great little amps, I gigged it all last summer and fall. I think I'll be keeping it a long time. It replaced my '66 BF Deluxe Reverb as my main gig amp. I like the extra power I get and size, the cowboy toltex just adds that little touch of class.

Robert
January 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Heeeeeeeer's Johnny! Sorry, couldn't resist... :)

Please post an introduction in the Fret Players section too if you can.

I can't even remember what tubes they are - Svetlana I think. They improved the sound a lot. The EH are good tubes too but mine were dead and rattled. Never tried Ruby's.

My Alltone has seen it better days, so I use a 2x12 Avatar cab. I suppose I should replace the speaker in the Hellhound some day. I was thinking about an Eminence Wizard.

I don't know enough about biasing amps to know what you are talking about... but thanks for the info.

Johnny Z
January 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Heeeeeeeer's Johnny! Sorry, couldn't resist... :)

Please post an introduction in the Fret Players section too if you can.

I can't even remember what tubes they are - Svetlana I think. They improved the sound a lot. The EH are good tubes too but mine were dead and rattled. Never tried Ruby's.

My Alltone has seen it better days, so I use a 2x12 Avatar cab. I suppose I should replace the speaker in the Hellhound some day. I was thinking about an Eminence Wizard.

I don't know enough about biasing amps to know what you are talking about... but thanks for the info.

Cool, didn't think about an introduction. I'll see what I can do about that.

Any how I think a few small improvements in the amp make it a better amp. New tubes and a better speaker can help too. If you put in a a new speaker you may need to open the hole just a little. I had this problem and all I did was use a rasp file and take off about 1/8 inch on the out side edge. You shouldn't have to worry about biasing the amp there is no adjustment but if your's is anything like mine it runs a tad hot. I think thats how they get 60 watts with 2 6L6's, higher plate voltage. I recommend you test all the tubes about once a year or so, find someone with a good tube tester. I have several amps and I test the tubes in them about once a year since I use them all the time and rent some out to other musicians for gigs.

Robert
January 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
The Hellhound is a really nice little amp. I'll never part with mine. Through an external good cab, it sounds awesome. It's different than a Fender, it really has its own sound. I love playing jazz with it - the bass response is great, much better in that regard than my Vox Valvetronix.

Too bad Reverend discontinued their line of amps. They were really nice amps, but I can understand it being difficult to compete in price with many amps now being assembled in East Asia, compared to USA-made amps, like the Reverend's were.

NPauly
January 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Too bad Reverend discontinued their line of amps. They were really nice amps, but I can understand it being difficult to compete in price with many amps now being assembled in East Asia, compared to USA-made amps, like the Reverend's were.

There's a rumor that Reverend is going to be bringing back their amp line by outsourcing them to Korea just like their current Stage King Guitars. If they are anything like Reverend's Korean made guitars they will be amazing!!

Johnny Z
January 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
There's a rumor that Reverend is going to be bringing back their amp line by outsourcing them to Korea just like their current Stage King Guitars. If they are anything like Reverend's Korean made guitars they will be amazing!!

I would like to point out one thing.

My Hellhound was made around 2005 and on the back it sez' "Chassis made in China for Reverend Musical Insturments, USA". So I kind of think they were already outsourced. Maybe assembled in the US but I'd bet when they say chassis made in China they ment assembled. Still its a great amp for what it is and well built for the price. If they do bring back a line of amps I bet it will be something new and hopefully as good or better.

Robert
January 11th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I think the Reverend amps were assembled in Michigan, except for the chassis.

That would be awesome if they can start making amps again. They make really cool and great sounding gear these guys.

I have only the deepest respect Joe Naylor and his work.