PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez AK85

just strum
December 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I was out this morning and as I pull in the parking lot of a shopping center, I look up and I see a sign above the windows of one of the stores "GUITAR SHACK". Needless to say I had to change plans and go in.

Well the store hasn't been open for but a few weeks and they seem to have odd and end type guitars and a lot of used stuff. Most of the guitars didn't appeal to me, a lot of pointy guitars, a lot of gimmick finishes (camouflage). However, as I was getting ready to leave there sat a Ibanez AK85. It was used and over priced (asking $400), but I think I will see if it sits there for awhile and maybe they will deal.

Anyway, it is a discontinued model and I was wondering if anyone has one or played one while at a guitar store? I played it unplugged and it sounded nice, but once he told me his asking price I put it down and told him maybe I would stop back at a later date. The last selling price for a new one that I could find was $429

http://www.instrumentguide.com/electric%20guitars/ibanez/ak85%20artcore/

markb
December 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Ibanez have had a few good goes at the ES175 copy thing over the years. I don't see why this one should be inferior. The Artcore guitars I've tried have all been pretty good instruments (dare I say "for the money"?). It's a funny fact of used guitar pricing that used archtops often get overpriced. I once saw a DeArmond Starfire Special priced at £1200 in a local pawn shop. I explained to them that the same model was about £450 new. They thought I was kidding them.