PDA

View Full Version : Show us your Strats!

tremoloman
June 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I'll kick this thread off with some pics of my MIM Limited edition "Flip-Flop" Stratocaster in blue/green sparkle. The pictures do not do this guitar justice at all since a camera cannot capture the flip-flop effect.

Upgrades include:
Complete gold Callaham hardware upgrade (bridge, saddles, tremolo arm, tremolo block, screws, springs, etc.)
Graph Tech nut
DiMarzio Tone Zone S bridge pickup
500K volume pot
Gold American Fender string tree
Gold Schaller locking tuners
Gold locking straplocks
Upgraded bridge from MIM to vintage spacingThe last pic shows what the guitar looked like stock and does manage to capture the blue color when the flip-flops a little bit.

tremoloman
June 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM
This is my favorite guitar of all the ones I own. It was the first guitar I built from scratch. I learned everything there is to know about assembling a guitar from this project. This is my "80s" guitar I use for hard rock, metal, and jazz. It's obnoxious, but if you want to play the part you gotta live the part! :)

It consists of:
Fender Powerhouse Strat Body in Graffiti Yellow
Fender 60s Strat neck
LSR Rolling Nut
DiMarzio pickups [Bridge - Tone Zone 2] [Middle & Neck - Tone Zone S]
Callaham Bridge assembly (block, saddles, arm, etc.)
Gotoh vintage locking tuners
Custom Marilyn Monroe pickguard designed by me hack work in Photoshop
Elixir .010 strings
Modern Fender string tree
500K tone pot
Bleeder circuit wiring (allows mixing of neck and bridge pickups to be played together)

SuperSwede
June 29th, 2006, 01:02 AM
That yellow color is really nice!

How is the hot rails pups when you play them clean? Still getting a strat vibe?

Katastrophe
June 29th, 2006, 03:26 AM
If I had to guess, based on your guitars, I would say that you're the shy, subtle type...:D

I'm not *usually* a fan of sparkle guitars, but there's something about the way the gold hardware plays off of the sparkle on the first one that makes it look really cool. I'll bet it looks great under stage lighting...

As for the yellow one, all I can say is WOW. It's one hell of an 80's look! I particularly like the "Boy Bands Suck" sticker.

Nice Strats, man!:R :DR

tremoloman
June 29th, 2006, 05:14 AM
That yellow color is really nice!

How is the hot rails pups when you play them clean? Still getting a strat vibe?

Thank you... it's a discontinued color so it really stands out... sometimes too much!

To be honest this guitar doesn't retain the classic Strat sound at all. It's got a personality all its own. It's got more of a think and heavy tone. Clean, it's an awesome Jazz tone. Dirty, hard rock and metal are its forte. I use it on songs like 'Run To The Hills', 'Number of the Beast', 'Fade To Black', and 'The MXC Theme' if that helps give you an idea of the tones I'm referring to.

tremoloman
June 29th, 2006, 05:19 AM
If I had to guess, based on your guitars, I would say that you're the shy, subtle type...:D

I'm not *usually* a fan of sparkle guitars, but there's something about the way the gold hardware plays off of the sparkle on the first one that makes it look really cool. I'll bet it looks great under stage lighting...

As for the yellow one, all I can say is WOW. It's one hell of an 80's look! I particularly like the "Boy Bands Suck" sticker.

Nice Strats, man!:R :DR
Thanks a lot Kat! Yeah... I'm real subtle!

Believe it or not I was super shy when I was a kid. Senior year soemthing happened and then the 11 years of keeping my mouth shut started pouring out all at once. Based on the length of my emails, you can see I'm still going on and on and on and ON... ;)

I'm just a very friendly and outgoing guy who just does what he likes to whether or not someone thinks it may be odd or strange. I don't like my guitasrs to look like anyone elses since I prefer to be a leader rather than a follower. If nobody follows my lead, that's fine.

As for the sticker, I found one that said "Hard rock boy bands suck" and then modified it to jus say "Boy Bands Suck". It gives a nice subtle touch with Marilyn looking like she's in full agreement.

SuperSwede
June 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM
It takes a real man to match all that gold hardware, thats for sure. :D

tremoloman
June 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM
It takes a real man to match all that gold hardware, thats for sure. :D

Some people call it my "Mr. T" guitar. ;)

duhvoodooman
July 1st, 2006, 07:01 PM
Here's my '89 Strat Plus. Only two changes made--replaced the stock white pickguard with black pearloid, and recently swapped the stock Lace Sensor Gold p'ups for a set of CS Texas Specials, courtesy of Tone2thebone. She ain't so fancy as some, but Lawdy, I surely do love her!

UPDATED 9/29/06: Changed all the plastic "trim" (p'up covers, knobs, etc.)from white to black. Looks freakin' dangerous now!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/strat_black.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/strat_black_body.jpg

Tone2TheBone
July 1st, 2006, 07:09 PM
Thats a killer axe DVM. I can tell you're very proud of her.

Nelskie
July 1st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Man, I love basic black on a Strat, esp. with an all-maple neck. That's a nice axe there, DVM. I've heard numerous clips of her, too, so I already know she sounds sweet. That MOTO pickguard spices things up nicely. ;)

tremoloman
July 2nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Very nice DVM... the neck is awesome looking and I love the pickguard you chose for your guitar. Sharp as a razor!

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Very nice, DVM! This thread should be retitled, Fuel for G.A.S., or something.

Keep them Strats coming!

Riley
July 17th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Here's mine. This is my first guitar I ever had. MIM '96 Strat. Bought it about 10 years ago. Since then I've modded it. Grover tuners, better string T, Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups, USA electronics including TBX tone controls, and wired so I can turn the tone down on the bridge pup, pearloid pickguard, and that's about it. She's a player and got some mojo from the 10 years of beating on her....in a good way of course! ;)

http://riley-music.com/Pics/GuitarGear/GuitarsOutdoors6-06/StratOutside3.JPG

http://riley-music.com/Pics/GuitarGear/GuitarsOutdoors6-06/StratOutside4.JPG

-Peace
-Nate

Guitar-Chris
July 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Here's mine. This is my first guitar I ever had. MIM '96 Strat. Bought it about 10 years ago.

Very nice guitar. What about fretwear? Some say the MIM frets are not so durable as the more expensive models? What's your experience?

aeolian
July 17th, 2006, 11:40 AM
and the story to go with it:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/strat.htm

Riley
July 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Very nice guitar. What about fretwear? Some say the MIM frets are not so durable as the more expensive models? What's your experience?

Yup at the 6 year mark the frets were worn pretty bad(play exclusively).....but after being recrowned it's been ok. They are very low now.....so I'd say a refret with some taller wider frets will be in order down the road. They are much softer than say the US models...at least back then. Now my MIM Muddy Tele frets are nice and much better.

-Peace
-Nate

Guitar-Chris
July 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
and the story to go with it:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/strat.htm

Aeolean, tht's the way a Strat should look like: Sunburst. I love it :R

Spudman
July 17th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Nice guitar aeolian, but your little thinger is missing.:rolleyes:

I had an ash natural from 1976 and it was a hard tail, three bolt too. I really liked that guitar, but I wore it out on the road and traded it. Waaaaaaaa! (tear drop falling from eye) annnnd, cut scene.

Nelskie
July 18th, 2006, 07:02 AM
"How can one man be so lucky?" you ask. Well, I'm not sure I really know myself. Here's the line-up:

1.) 1987 MIJ Squier Stratocaster - My very first Strat. It's bone stock with the exception of the white moto pickguard. Fantastic maple neck, lovely aquamarine hue (someone here once told me what the actual name of the Fender color was, but I have since forgotten), great tone - just a beautiful, classic Strat.

2.) 2005 MIM Classic 60's Stratocaster - Wanted another Strat more in line with a SRV-type guitar. This beauty has the trademark 3TS finish, an aftermarket creme moto pickguard, aged plastic controls, and a vintage-style maple / rosewood neck that plays like a dream. About (3) months ago, I dropped in a set of Custom Shop '69 pickups and a Callaham trem block, and this thing sounds about as good as a Strat can sound. Or, at least in my opinion it does. I'm planning on having this one around for a long time, so let the natural relic'ing process begin.

3.) 1987 MIK Squier Stratocaster - This little gem recently came to me via Ebay, and I must say for $129, it was a total steal. Gorgeous candy-apple red, with a smooth-playing maple / rosewood neck, and great-sounding stock p'ups. I'm entertaining the idea of dropping a Seymour Duncan Lil' '59 single-coil sized humbucker in the bridge (for the "Fat Strat" effect), but for now, I'll just keep 'er stock, and enjoy it.

I keep telling myself that I'm done buying Strats. Wishful thinking indeed. ;)

tremoloman
July 18th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I keep telling myself that I'm done buying Strats. Wishful thinking indeed. ;)Nice collection!

I keep teeling myself I'm done also... it doesn't work. GAS is a disease for which there is no cure but more guitars!

duhvoodooman
July 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I keep telling myself that I'm done buying Strats. Wishful thinking indeed. ;)
Three beauties there, Nelsk! I especially like the sunburst MIM.

I'm surprised an LP devotee such as yourself hasn't picked up an H/S/S/ "Fat Strat" model yet! No GAS for one of those??

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Nelskie, that japan squier strat looks awesome. I love blue strats with maple necks!

Riley
July 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Great looking bunch there Nelskie!!!!!

-Peace
-Nate

t_ross33
July 18th, 2006, 03:23 PM
GAS is a disease for which there is no cure but more guitars!
More guitars in NOT a cure. GAS = diabetes; Guitars = insulin. Needed for survival and to keep from going into shock :D

Appologies to diabetics (including my dear sister), not my intention to belittle a serious condition or disease. We are just SO polite here at TheFret!

Nelskie
July 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, guys.

DVM - Like I said in my post, I'm considering putting a Seymour Duncan Lil' '59 in the bridge in my MIK (red) Strat. The Lil '59 is a single-coil sized humbucker that pretty much drops in the regular slot, with no modifications needed. Not sure if you can split it or not, but that's not really a concern at this point - I'd be totally happy running it as a HB full-time. So, yes, there is a possibility of a "Fat Strat" down the road for me - and I wouldn't even need to buy a new guitar to do it!!

Swede - Yeah, the blue MIJ Strat is super-cherry. Up until buying it in 2003, I'd never owned any piece of Fender gear. Then the floodgates opened . . . thanks to that guitar! I've been on a rampaging gear-buying spree ever since.

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Nelskie, I thought until recently that the only true happiness was to be found in dual humbucker guitars! :D So I can understand you...

TS808
August 15th, 2006, 06:10 PM
My strats. The 'burst one is a 2003 American Series and the White is a 2004 American Series. All stock except for the pickguards.

Robert
August 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Man.... nice looking strats, but pink picks????!

:D :D Haha

TS808
August 15th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Man.... nice looking strats, but pink picks????!

:D :D Haha

LOL....Fender California Clears....actually Burgundy Mist. :D

SuperSwede
August 16th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Almost transparent, must be a very thin pick?

TS808
August 16th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Almost transparent, must be a very thin pick?

They are actually a medium gauge. What I like about them is that they grip very easy. I'm always trying different picks, and whatever the material it is that they use for this pick, it's pretty good. The medium gauge has enough stiffness in it to handle 10's but isn't overly flexible. Pretty comparable in thickness to a .73 Dunlop Tortex pick.

kerc
August 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hamer Slammer DA3, bought brand new in 1998 for $99. My first electric...I recently "renovated" it with a new pickguard and a good setup, and it plays wonderfully. I'm planning on installing a set of GFS low-output 1970's pickups.

All the "relicing" is real--no faked scrapes or bumps! :cool:

tremoloman
August 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Hamer Slammer DA3, bought brand new in 1998 for $99. My first electric...I recently "renovated" it with a new pickguard and a good setup, and it plays wonderfully. I'm planning on installing a set of GFS low-output 1970's pickups.

All the "relicing" is real--no faked scrapes or bumps! :cool:Wow... that puts my $99 SX to shame man! Nice work! I've always loved the tortise pickguard on red and black bodies. It just adds a touch of class. You could call it the "Kerc Custom Shop Special Limited Edition Stratocaster". I love REAL relicing from gigging, not that phony file crud. If you want to relic a guitar, do it the old fashioned way I always say.

Now how's she sound?!?!

TS808
August 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Here's a better picture of my 'burst strat.

TS808
August 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM

All the "relicing" is real--no faked scrapes or bumps! :cool:

That is a great color scheme. I always thought the tortoise on black was the coolest.

warren0728
August 17th, 2006, 09:05 AM
we have a couple of "strats" in the house.

Mine is a black 1990's Peavey Predator Fat Strat Knockoff. I took this guitar into Ron's Musick Shack to trade for a fender strat and he set it up and told me not to trade it that it played great....so i kept it :D

Conner has a blue squier bullet strat (that he needs to clean). It is thinner and lighter than a standard strat so he has an easier time handling it. It plays really well too and sounds good through his micro cube...

ww

SuperSwede
August 17th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Warren, I have heard other people talking very positive about those Predators (made in the U.S right?) ... How is the overall quality / sound on yours?

warren0728
August 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM
i don't think it was made in the us...i think it was china or korea...

it is built really well....frets are great and it stays in tune! like i said when ron at the music shack played it he recommended i keep it and not trade it in on a fender strat. I really like this guitar and i think it might be a candidate for an overhaul (even though i am happy with the tone now). I have never modded a guitar so i might go all out on this one. I'm thinking of repainting it and changing the pickups and electronics....when i have time....

ww

SuperSwede
August 17th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Some apparently were made in the US...
http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-PREDATOR-USA-AMERICAN-MADE-STRAT-STYLE-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ110020161242QQcmdZViewItem

I have seen ads here that says US made as well.

Anyway, seems like a good guitar for your project...

warren0728
August 17th, 2006, 01:53 PM
yeah mine does not say handcrafted in usa on it....but it has been a really good guitar....it is the guitar i bought in the early 90's when i decided to take up the guitar again.

ww

marnold
August 17th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I know I've shown this picture before in the Tele thread. Now here it is again for the Strat thread! Once again, mine's a non-traditional Strat. One humbucker, fixed bridge, set neck, no pickguard, 16" radius on the fretboard. It is, however, a Fender. It's a 2003 MIK Showmaster Custom Celtic H. The Atomic II humbucker is VERY hot (16.4K).

kerc
August 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM
So many nice Strats!!! Feeds my GAS. :D

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 17th, 2006, 03:10 PM
The Gieshas....Ruby, Pearl, Holly....

SuperSwede
August 17th, 2006, 03:12 PM
You are all in for maple necks 6s9l? Very classy guitars! :)
I especially like the red (car?) strat, very nice aged plastic parts.. some kind of reissue?

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 17th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Love maple necks on fenders , especially as i get older..lol..the car strat is a cij ( crafted in japan ) FENDER 54 reissue..

Tone2TheBone
August 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Nice nice and nice 6S9L. Fantastic Strats.

Cranium
August 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM
What are the other models 6S9L?

el_goodo_maximo
August 17th, 2006, 05:33 PM
http://static.flickr.com/48/176837488_297803d11f_o.jpg

I love my strat to death! Fender Highway 1!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks... RUBY is the car 54 ri....Pearl is the white 71 Ibanez made strat copy, marketed in canada under the brand name El Degas, Holly is the 1993 sunburst 58 ri, named after Buddy ,his last strat was a 58...The Gieshas , because they are all made in Japan..

Katastrophe
August 17th, 2006, 05:45 PM
http://static.flickr.com/48/176837488_297803d11f_o.jpg

I love my strat to death! Fender Highway 1!

Hang on to that Strat, man! Fender has changed the Hwy. 1 line, never to look like yours again... Could be worth something someday!

Sweet geishas, 6S9L!:D

el_goodo_maximo
August 17th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Yea... It's a great guitar, I don't think i would want to sell that one. By the time it's worth anythign though the paint will all be gone... Haven't seen a new Highway 1, but it looks to me like they just made it to keep up with more popular music and harder distortion. Sam and Dave for me thank you.

SuperSwede
August 18th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Love maple necks on fenders , especially as i get older..lol..the car strat is a cij ( crafted in japan ) FENDER 54 reissue..

Wow, the japanese really knows how make those reissue strats.

Tinky-Winky
August 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM
6S9L, do you know if the japanese SB fender is made from basswood? If so, how would you say it sounds compared to a usual alder or ash fender?

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
its an 2 piece alder body ...i have played basswood bodied fenders, they dont resonate as well unplugged and the alder sounds fuller, and definitely rings with more clarity...Those highway 1's are nice ,i like a thin finish .

Tinky-Winky
August 20th, 2006, 03:58 AM
6S9L, thanks for the information. Would you say the basswood ones sounded darker?

abraxas
August 28th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Here's mine. '62 Strat "Replica" a.k.a. "The Blue Dream" :

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/VTheo/Blue%20Dream/th_4b713630.jpg (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/VTheo/Blue%20Dream/4b713630.jpg)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/VTheo/Blue%20Dream/th_c273d358.jpg (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/VTheo/Blue%20Dream/c273d358.jpg)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/VTheo/Blue%20Dream/th_a1452733.jpg (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/VTheo/Blue%20Dream/a1452733.jpg)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/VTheo/Blue%20Dream/th_2ce0198e.jpg (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/VTheo/Blue%20Dream/2ce0198e.jpg)

Specs to follow...

elavd
August 28th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Here's mine. '62 Strat "Replica" a.k.a. "The Blue Dream" :
Specs to follow...

Hello Abraxas and welcome to the forum...

I know that many of the people here, will be shocked by your specs...

By the way: I LOVE your Blue Dream ;)

abraxas
August 28th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Hello Abraxas and welcome to the forum...

I know that many of the people here, will be shocked by your specs...

By the way: I LOVE your Blue Dream ;)

Hello Elias, good to find you in such good company. :D

The Specs:

- Rockinger/Goeldo 2-piece alder body
- Allparts SRO-FAT neck, treaded with oil+wax
- Suhr V60LP pickups
- Rockinger Steel Block tremolo
- Gotoh Vintage Lock tuners
- Tusq nut
- CRL switch, switchcraft jack, Goeldo "A" 250K pots
- Fully shielded cavities/pickguard, utilizing the "star ground" schematic from www.guitarnuts.com . Furthermore, there is a volume bleed mod (see Kinman.com) and the second tone control affects the bridge pickup too.
- Finally, Fender decals (JUST for the LOOKS!)

To be continued... with another Strat in a month or so I believe... :)

tremoloman
August 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Abraxas, that thing is FREAKIN SWEET! LPB is a color that never gets old. Nice job!

elavd
August 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Abraxas, that thing is FREAKIN SWEET! LPB is a color that never gets old. Nice job!
It's a perfect color indeed...but I it gets old...and actually it gets old in a strange way...

It turns into a greenish color:

http://home.flash.net/%7Eguitars/lpbmgreenlgr.jpg

abraxas
August 28th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Thank you my friend! :)

@elavd
I have to keep it for the next 30-40 years to look like this... hmmm, come to think about it, I'll probably will! :D

tiefnig
August 29th, 2006, 04:10 AM
The greenish color looks really amazing. pretty unique too, you hardly see any green strats.

tiefnig
August 29th, 2006, 04:30 AM
I see all these guitars and now it's time to post mine:
1)
Made in Mexico Standard black strat/white pickguard.
Changes made: I changed the pickup covers and the knobs. They are vintage white/aged white now. I think it gives the guitar a cool feel.
I didn't change the pickups. They are good the way there are, the only mod is the aged white stuff. If you ask me, it's the perfect guitar, it is high quality and I get the sounds I want out of it. Also the stock PU's deliver a unique strat tone.
Pics:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0060.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0061.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0062.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0033.jpg
2)
Squier Fat-strat
Changes made: Wierd stripes and stickers + chrome pickup covers.
The pickups sound good aswell, but I'll make a nirvana strat out of it. JB in the bridge singlecoils in neck/middle position.
Pics:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0059.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0056.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0052-1.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0054.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0040.jpg

That's it. The squier strat looks shit though. poorly modded.
enjoy :D

elavd
August 29th, 2006, 04:34 AM
tiefnig I saw a Rockinger sticker on your guitars. Have you bought a guitar from them??

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSCF0040.jpg

tiefnig
August 29th, 2006, 08:27 AM
No only the pickup covers :D I wanted to make it look like it was worth something.

Tinky-Winky
August 30th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Is that a standard squier stratocaster, as it has staggered pole piece pickups.

tiefnig
August 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
all standard. I only changed the pickup covers.

Plank_Spanker
September 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
2001 Double Fat:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/DoubleFatStrat.jpg

A custom clone built by a good friend:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/BluesvilleSuperStrat.jpg

My current mod project, an American Deluxe that started life with vintage noiseless (cough!) pickups:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_0475.jpg

Robert
September 29th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Plank Spanker, wow! Nice looking geetars, and that Germino amp is awesome!
Please post an introduction in the Fret Players section and also do tell us more about the Germino amps some time...

Plank_Spanker
September 29th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks, Robert.

I guess that I should mind my manners and post an introduction. :D

Lev
September 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM
does the crate of beer enhance the sound of the Amp? :D
Nice Strats!!!!:DR

Plank_Spanker
September 29th, 2006, 09:24 AM
does the crate of beer enhance the sound of the Amp? :D
Nice Strats!!!!:DR

That beer is an integral part of the amp's sound. :)

tremoloman
September 29th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Dang... with so many nice pics here I'm itchin' to refinish one of mine! I like my Candy Tangerine Strat but I really want to redo mine into a Vintage White. CT is a sharp and discontinued color, but it just isn't me. It looks like metallica french dressing, a la Kraft Catalina.

Plank_Spanker
September 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM
The red Strat I posted is pictured with a set of custom wound pickups I was testing for a friend of mine. He wants them back, and I have a set of SD's on order for it - a Custom Custom and two SSL3's. I can't wait until they get here. I also have a black Wilkinson trem to install on it after I put in the pickups.

I'm aiming for something a tad on the "hot" side.:)

kerc
September 30th, 2006, 10:16 AM
So many beautiful Strats...GAS is starting... :D

elavd
September 30th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Yesterday I got my Blackie "Partscaster"!
I wanted to build a black strat (like D.Gilmour's). So take a look at it:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/elavd/elavdblackie.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/elavd/blackiebody.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/elavd/headstock_2.jpg

The guitar was built for me by Stavros Ntoukas (www.guitars.gr) using parts from Goeldo (http://www.goeldo.de/gshop.php):

Alder body (2-piece)
One piece maple (finished) 9.5" radius (medium jumbo frets) with TUSQ nut
GFS prewired pickguard with 1960's repro pickups
Vintage style tremolo (with steel block)
Kluson Deluxe (vintage type) keys.

;)

Plank_Spanker
September 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Gorgeous Strat, elavd! :)

elavd
October 1st, 2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks Plank_Spanker !!! ;)

Robert
October 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM
Looks awesome! How does compare to the Rockinger in playability and sound?

elavd
October 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
Looks awesome! How does compare to the Rockinger in playability and sound?
"Blackie" has the same playability with my Rockinger strat !!! (Don't forget that Goeldo provides Rockinger all the parts ;) )

Rockinger sells its kits for about 500€ but you have limited option on specs. If you buy separate parts from them, you have to pay something like 700€ (even if you buy the EXACT parts like their kits have!!!).

My guitar was built by Stavros Ntukas (http://www.guitars.gr) according to my specs and preferences and was setup PERFECTLY by him. It costed about 500€ (including pickups...).

The neck is a bit different, it has a bigger profile but it fits PERFECTLY in my hand. The neck finish is not sticky at all and gives you the oportunity to play fast (if you can- I can't!!! :D)

The GFS sound somehow trebly (but have lots of quack and snap) but I haven't got used to their sound.
I had to change the settings that I usually have on my HOt Rod Deluxe when I play with the Rockinger (mainly i cut some treble).

These days I will experiment more with the pickups, and I'll write a thorough review ;)

stingx
November 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Here's my '05 Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Just a few changes from production...3-ply parchment guard and aged plastic.

http://www.stubble.org/temp/jv_strat.jpg

Tone2TheBone
November 17th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Another JV Strat owwwww. I get happy when I see them and that one is the one I want. Olympic White with parchment pg but in single ply.

Spudman
November 17th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Oooooweee! That sure is purdy. Makes me just wanna wrap my hands right around that neck. Beautiful photo.

stingx
November 18th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Here's one of my favorite players - a '97 AmStd Lonestar Strat. A few mods have been performed. The neck and middle single coils have been replaced with DiMarzio Vintage Blues and HS2's. respectively. The stock, Pearly Gates+ is also coil-tapped.

http://www.stubble.org/temp/guitars/Fender002.jpg

Plank_Spanker
November 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Cool Strat, Sting. I have a PG+ in the bridge of my Double Fat. It's an awesome pickup.