PDA

View Full Version : Help with Wiring

WindyCity100
December 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hey gang,

Got my TS pups today!! everything looks good and they're on a fully assembled pickguard and I have an issue. There's an extra ground wire marked "body", but there wasn't one on the original. Seems I saw someone here had a similar issue and the advice was to solder it back to one of the pots? I studiously looked for that post, but couldn't find it. Any help would be most appreciated! :master:

tunghaichuan
December 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hey gang,

Got my TS pups today!! everything looks good and they're on a fully assembled pickguard and I have an issue. There's an extra ground wire marked "body", but there wasn't one on the original. Seems I saw someone here had a similar issue and the advice was to solder it back to one of the pots? I studiously looked for that post, but couldn't find it. Any help would be most appreciated! :master:

That wire is probably for a body with a shielded pickup/control cavity.

The pots should already be grounded, so connecting the "body" wire back to ground doesn't really do anything. Do you have a digital multimeter? If so set it to the continuity test (beeps if there is a connection) and touch one probe to the body wire and the other to the pots. It should beep.

I would connect the body wire to the bridge, if there already isn't a wire to connect to the bridge.

tung

markb
December 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
On FMIC strats there's an extra ground point on the body. It uses the conductive paint in the cavity and is a notorious source of ground loops and/or bad earth connections. I'd just ignore it and ground to the tremolo claw or bridge plate as normal.

WindyCity100
December 31st, 2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the help guys!! I had planned on adding shielding, but it looks like that'll take some work to smooth the cavitities out first. It appears they painted over whatever dust-wood-raccoons were in ther prior to assembly, so I'm sorta hedging at this point.

Hardass blues
January 14th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys!! I had planned on adding shielding, but it looks like that'll take some work to smooth the cavitities out first. It appears they painted over whatever dust-wood-raccoons were in ther prior to assembly, so I'm sorta hedging at this point.
that paint may be shielding paint. take a look at the Stewart Macdonald website for details on shielding paint. Here is a link to a great demo on shielding with copper tape I did it and it worked great.

http://areyouexperienced.net/shielding-70s-stratocaster-1.htm

good luck,John