PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for replacement tuners for a Epi LP Jr

Duff
December 31st, 2008, 04:42 AM
I have a new style Epi LP Jr with the one humbucker, '08 model, new, and I want to replace the tuners.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the tuners on one of these new model LP Jr's?

GFS probably has some but I need to know what size to get and I don't want to take off the strings and take it apart until I have the replacement parts.

Therefore, if someone knows the correct size and type of tuners to get I would appreciate it greatly.

I'm not sure if it is a 10mm hole in the headstock or a smaller hole.

GFS emailed me back and said I might have to drill out the holes a little, which is something I wouldn't do without knowing what I was doing first; it's like a one shot type of thing that you have to do right the first time.

Anybody know what the hole size is on the LP Jr and does anyone have a tuner to suggest?

I like the Wilkinson locking ones on GFS but probably don't need locking ones, gotoh type would probably be good enough. But what will fit.

Anyone have any specific knowledge on this?

Thanks,

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Hoot Gibson
January 5th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Duff, I have always used Wilinson tuners, but Grovers or whatever sealed machine tuner you choose is fine. Notice the position of your current screw holes. If you can pickup Wlkinsons with a singele tab that matches one of the mountin hole, it will prevent you from drilling another hole in the headstock. The Wilkinsons are 10mm and you will need to drill out your existing holes, but be careful not to drill them all the way through. If available, use brad point bits as they will not grab as readily as a metal bit. A drill press to control depth is even better. If you do use a metal bit, GO SLOWLY or you will send the bit right through the other side into the palm of your hand or worse, into your lap. Good luck bud. It's not that difficult.