PDA

View Full Version : Happy Year of the Cow!

syo
December 31st, 2008, 06:14 AM
Happy New Year to you all! Here in Japan it is the year of the cow. Or at least it will be in another 3 hours.
It is customary (well, pretty much obligatory) in Japan to send a greeting for the new year to friends, family and business partners in the form of a postcard. Often it will picture the animal which represents a particular year. 2008 was the year of the rat. 2009 is the year of the cow.
Here is our new years greeting for 2009 adapted for my new fretter friends wherever you may be:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/9343495b5f9f4ba66.jpg

Tonight at midnight I will step outside in the cold and listen to the temple bells ringing.
What will you be doing?

BTW Suhnton, did you send out all your nengajou? Is your house all clean?:D

Kazz
December 31st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Syo,

Thanks for the new year wish and many kind returns to you and yours.

M29
December 31st, 2008, 07:24 AM
All he best on your celebration syo! I see musical notes on the cow. I guess that means it ain't over until the fat cow sings...

Thank you for the greeting:AOK:

M29

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2008, 08:32 AM
That is spectacularly cool syo. Thanks & Happy New Year!

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 09:56 AM
syo, Happy New Year. I will reply to your greeting of joy with a little something from the bakery

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Cake/CowCake0.jpg

Robert
December 31st, 2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks Syo, and

Happy Mooooooo Year

to all of you fretters!

sumitomo
December 31st, 2008, 10:02 AM
Yep Its Happy Mooooo Year.Sumi:D

R_of_G
December 31st, 2008, 10:21 AM
Happy New Year everybody. I hope this new year is good for all of you and your families. Best wishes to you all!

street music
December 31st, 2008, 10:26 AM
FRom ours to yours> HAPPY NEW YEAR!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

peachhead
December 31st, 2008, 11:03 AM
A new year's message from the cow:

Eat More Chikin!

Happy New Year!

marnold
December 31st, 2008, 11:08 AM
Happy New Year to one and all! Let's . . . be careful out there.

Not the right year, but every time somebody talks about the year of whatever animal this song comes to mind. Not sure why I've always liked it since it's not my typical style. For some reason I also want to put it ~1980 instead of 1977.
79ABz4m4lJI

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
Just hit midnight here - I can here shotguns going off outside.

syo
December 31st, 2008, 11:23 PM
Just hit midnight here - I can here shotguns going off outside.
Not exactly "ringing in the New Year" over there eh?
Shotguns, seriously? How, umm... err... how shall I say...
Violent.

Suhnton
January 1st, 2009, 02:49 AM
Happy New Year to you all! Here in Japan it is the year of the cow. Or at least it will be in another 3 hours.
It is customary (well, pretty much obligatory) in Japan to send a greeting for the new year to friends, family and business partners in the form of a postcard. Often it will picture the animal which represents a particular year. 2008 was the year of the rat. 2009 is the year of the cow.
Here is our new years greeting for 2009 adapted for my new fretter friends wherever you may be:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/9343495b5f9f4ba66.jpg

Tonight at midnight I will step outside in the cold and listen to the temple bells ringing.
What will you be doing?

BTW Suhnton, did you send out all your nengajou? Is your house all clean?:D

Hi Syo ,

あけましておめでとうございます。
Yes, we cleaned the house up to and on Xmas day, sent out all the (as you correctly said, obligatory) nengajou, and today (01/01) went to Hanazono jinja in Shinjuku.

To everyone else, Happy 2009, hope the hangovers wear off soon enough.

oldguy
January 1st, 2009, 06:43 AM
No hangovers here,
Happy '09 everyone!!!:D

syo
January 1st, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hi Syo ,

あけましておめでとうございます。
Yes, we cleaned the house up to and on Xmas day, sent out all the (as you correctly said, obligatory) nengajou, and today (01/01) went to Hanazono jinja in Shinjuku.

Hello Suhnton,
あけましておめでとうございます。
You finished 大掃除 by Christmas?! Good for you! We didn't finish until 11:40 p.m. on the 31st. But now my studio has been seemingly enlarged by the process. I now have room for more gear in the new year! :D :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM
So Japan follows the Gregorian calendar & yet uses Chinese astrological symbols for the years?

That fits my image of Japan.

Blaze
January 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Happy new year !!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

No thanks , no more beer ..

http://lemondedeceline.unblog.fr/files/2008/06/att00001.jpg

Blazes:beer:

just strum
January 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM
How, umm... err... how shall I say...
Violent.

No, not really. I live in an area where people go deer hunting and that is also their noise maker for ringing in the New Year. I think one guy shoots his bow and arrow, but just doesn't have the same effect.

As long as they don't point the shotguns at each other, it's not considered violent.

Katastrophe
January 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM
あけましておめでとうございます。

Huh??????:confused:

R_of_G
January 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Huh??????:confused:

It says Happy New Year (thanks Google translator!)

Suhnton
January 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM
So Japan follows the Gregorian calendar & yet uses Chinese astrological symbols for the years?

That fits my image of Japan.

It gets a little further complicated. The years in Japan are denoted by the year of reign of the current emperor. Therefore this year is 平成21 (Heisei 21).

peachhead
January 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Happy New Year to all!
No hangovers here either, unless I get one later from having my head in the paint bucket. I've been finishing house trim all day. One coat down, two to go.

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
It gets a little further complicated. The years in Japan are denoted by the year of reign of the current emperor. Therefore this year is 平成21 (Heisei 21).

I see, sort of like in the US where this is Decider 8.

R_of_G
January 1st, 2009, 09:10 PM

Nice one.:bravo:

syo
January 2nd, 2009, 05:36 AM

Particularly nice one tOt. Bravo. :bravo:

Katastrophe
January 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
It says Happy New Year (thanks Google translator!)

Thanks!