PDA

View Full Version : Any New Years Eve Traditions

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 02:24 PM
My party days are over. We started a tradition about 15 years ago of having a nice lobster dinner. When the kids were younger we could provide them with pizza and they were in heaven. Now that they are older, they've acquired a taste for lobster so NYE has increased in cost. Now that they are older they both go out after dinner. My daughter is off to a party at her best friends house and my son hasn't announced his plans.

So for Christmas Eve the tradition is fondue, with a couple of different meats, shrimp, oils, and cheese.

For New Years Eve - Surf and Turf, a nice steak and lobster.

I was up until 3:00 AM this morning working on my daughters computer, so as soon as dinner is over, I will probably crash.:thwap:

M29
December 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM
No excitement here I usually fall asleep before the balls drop.

ted s
December 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM
My party daze are over as well.
Wifey and I are going over to friends, there will be 3 couples, just dinner,
talk and probably some goofy fun board games.

evenkeel
December 31st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Mrs Keel and I have never been one to go out on New years eve. We used to live in NYC and never even did the whole Times Square, watch the ball drop thing.

Our tradition, if you will, is to make predictions for the upcoming year. Stock Market, politics, pop culture, sports, whatever. Why we do this is a mystery as we are generally lousy at it. For example in Dec '07 I picked a slight rise in the market, Green Bay (over NE) to win the Super Bowl and Clinton vs Guiliani. :thwap: :thwap:

mrmudcat
December 31st, 2008, 03:06 PM
This years resolution will be .

dixie in 09

I hope I can pull this out of my arse:thwap:

hubberjub
December 31st, 2008, 03:12 PM
First this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/Teppanyaki_chef_cooking_at_a_hibachi_in_a_Japanese _Steakhouse.jpg

Then this
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_pint-of-beer.jpg

Then I always seem to end up in a situation such as this that seems like a much better idea at the time
F-Og29_yCws

Andy
December 31st, 2008, 03:22 PM
We always have black eyed peas on new years day, usually with ham .
It's supposed to bring some good luck to the new year.

My whole family does it and I know alot of my co workers have the same tradition, must be a southern thing.

bigoldron
December 31st, 2008, 03:43 PM
We always have black eyed peas on new years day, usually with ham .
It's supposed to bring some good luck to the new year.

My whole family does it and I know alot of my co workers have the same tradition, must be a southern thing.

It is. Supposedly, having black eyed peas AND ham hocks on New Year's Day will bring you good luck throughout the year. Can't swear that it does it any good (it doesn't), but BEP's ARE good! (I can live without ham hocks...) :D

Robert
December 31st, 2008, 04:11 PM
For me, it's usually a gig somewhere. Then lots of beer. Sometimes during. :)

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Generally a few beers with friends, and a bit of reflection. Other than that, no big plans. I much prefer to be in a smaller, more casual atmosphere than out at some big party where you need to dress up.

Ever since I was a kid, I have skied on New Year's eve (nowadays I am working as ski instructor), so I am ready to be casual and relax.

Hubberjub, that imperial pint is looking mighty good! Is the restaurant pic Benihana's?

BluesHowler
December 31st, 2008, 06:02 PM
It is. Supposedly, having black eyed peas AND ham hocks on New Year's Day will bring you good luck throughout the year. Can't swear that it does it any good (it doesn't), but BEP's ARE good! (I can live without ham hocks...) :D

Yep, it's a Southern thang. Along with the black eyed peas I also serve collard greens and corn bread. My wife is a Damn Yankee from New Jersey and won't eat the black eyed peas but I don't mind because that means I can eat all of them. :bravo:

Rocket
December 31st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Eve, none... but my "new year" tradition is to continue to write the previous year on all checks until Memorial Day. I suppose that says more about me than the new year tho.

mrmudcat
December 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM

Hey we be doing that up in here tommorow!!!:beer:

We do anyways:AOK:

Childbride
December 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM
definitely. black-eyed peas.

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Eve, none... but my "new year" tradition is to continue to write the previous year on all checks until Memorial Day. I suppose that says more about me than the new year tho.

On Jan 1 I start writing the upcoming year - helps cash flow.

sumitomo
December 31st, 2008, 07:18 PM
There is a neat one in South America called Ano Viejo,They make a small covered area and make a dummy with straw in old pants,shirt and on the head they make a mask of a person they have not liked from the past year and at midnight they beatup the dummy and then burn it.Sumi:D

Rocket
December 31st, 2008, 07:23 PM
There is a neat one in South America called Ano Viejo,They make a small covered area and make a dummy with straw in old pants,shirt and on the head they make a mask of a person they have not liked from the past year and at midnight they beatup the dummy and then burn it.Sumi:D
Sounds like our usual every-day effigy to me.

Katastrophe
December 31st, 2008, 07:28 PM
1. Promise each other that we're gonna stay up and make it until midnight.
2. Fall asleep on the couch, sometime between 9:30 and 10:00 pm.
3. Wake up within minutes of midnight.
4. Acknowledge that the new year is here.
5. Give each other and hug and a kiss.
6. Back to bed.

luvmyshiner
December 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
We had plans to go to some friends house for the evening, but had to cancel. I spent the last three days in Houston with my son who had hernia surgery. He handled the surgery just fine, but I've spent three nights on a sofa with very little sleep, so I doubt I'll make it much past 9:30.

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Just finished the steak and lobster.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/sleep.gif http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/sleep.gif http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/sleep.gif

Am I not the ultimate party animal???

street music
December 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
So that's where Shiner has been? I hope he is doing better and that all is well for The New Year.
We are watching Sopranos on DVD and will hit the bed soon, I didn't really feel like being on the road all night. In these parts their is a tradition of eating cooked cabbage on Jan1 to bring good health all year. I'll take my chances without it.

luvmyshiner
December 31st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Yup Street, that's why I've been out of pocket for a few days, but the boy is doing great. I can't believe how far medical technology has come. I had hernia surgery some 25 odd years ago that left me with a six inch scar and 6 weeks of downtime. Now they do it laparoscopically. He came out from under the anesthesia about 11:00 a.m. and at 11:45 a.m. he walked out the truck and I drove him home. He'll be back at work on Friday when his office opens back up.

Oh, and they can take pictures now. So for the first time on the Fret, here is a picture of my son.:D

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Theboy001.jpg

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 09:32 PM
Oh, and they can take pictures now. So for the first time on the Fret, here is a picture of my son.:D

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Theboy001.jpg

And a fine looking lad he is.

Good to hear all is well and Happy New Year.

luvmyshiner
December 31st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks Strum, and the same to you and yours.:beer:

I did notice that even though he was getting around just fine, he had no problem letting dear old Dad make him chicken noodle soup and clean up the kitchen.:D Not to mention putting all the dirty clothes in the hamper. When we were 24 did we drop all our underwear where ever we happened to be when we pulled it off?:rotflmao:

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks Strum, and the same to you and yours.:beer:

I did notice that even though he was getting around just fine, he had no problem letting dear old Dad make him chicken noodle soup and clean up the kitchen.:D Not to mention putting all the dirty clothes in the hamper. When we were 24 did we drop all our underwear where ever we happened to be when we pulled it off?:rotflmao:

Underwear? I was so poor all I had was a piece of elastic around my waste.

luvmyshiner
December 31st, 2008, 09:47 PM

Personally I've always preferred to go commando.:D But these kids today are all about the hygiene . . . which might explain all the . . . um "hairs" in his bathroom.:messedup: I didn't clean that room.

Childbride
December 31st, 2008, 09:47 PM

[snicker]

i was in college and ate one box of mac a chee a day for three months solid, so the two dogs had food. i can relate.

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 09:49 PM
[snicker]

i was in college and ate one box of mac a chee a day for three months solid, so the two dogs had food. i can relate.

One box lasted three months, wow you were poor.:rotflmao:

Childbride
December 31st, 2008, 09:55 PM
i thought you were conking out from surf and turf? :D

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 09:57 PM
i thought you were conking out from surf and turf? :D

second wind

luvmyshiner
December 31st, 2008, 10:05 PM
It's like 11:00 where you are, you're an hour away from midnight dude. Keep breathin':D

Childbride
December 31st, 2008, 10:10 PM
well, i checked. katie hasn't made any coors tonight. thank goodness we don't have another new year's tradition. :D

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
It's like 11:00 where you are, you're an hour away from midnight dude. Keep breathin':D

Well, with 30 minutes to go, I figured I would turn on the TV and watch the big moment - cable just went out!!!

bigoldron
December 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Nothing going on other than me and the girls watching tv waiting on the ball to drop. We just had an exciting game of Phase 10 (god, I am getting OLD!) and now we're waiting. I need to tell Pes and his Aaron that the Jonas Brothers are playing their "rock" music - hate those 2 boys are missing them! :rotflmao:

This Dick Clark's New Years Rocking Eve just ain't the same. They showed Dick a few minutes ago and, bless his heart, he is PITIFUL. But, he's still there! He's got a "never quit" attitude - I can say that much for him!

Anyway, Happy New Year to all my friends here on the Fret! May God bless you all in this new year! :bravo:

mrmudcat
December 31st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Well to everyone of all the great peeps I have known and those ive met here HAPPY NEW YEARS 2009:beer:

Dixie im coming home by summer:beavisnbutthead:

street music
January 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks Shiner for the full color picture of your fine looking patched up son. OUCH! I guess this was something that wasn't planned for the holidays? Hope all is well this morning and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to all Fretters. We went to bed before midnight and slept till 7am, I went to MacD's and got breakfast for me and the Mrs . I go back to the real world tomorrow morning and start back to work on the good stuff not finished up in 08. Life is what we make of it , somedays it just takes more effort to see it through.