PDA

View Full Version : NHL Winter Classic

marnold
January 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
What a great game, what a great venue. Of course, it didn't hurt that my Red Wings won. But seeing a game like that at Wrigley between two Original Six franchises with a long history was an awesome thing. They reported that there were 240,000 requests for the ~41,000 tickets. I'm glad to see the Blackhawks back. Hopefully that old rivalry can be rekindled.

R_of_G
January 1st, 2009, 03:31 PM
That was a great game. Ever since the Montreal/Edmonton 2003 game I've loved the outdoor game thing and wish they would do more of it. It makes for interesting hockey and exposes the game to more fans. It's also such a traditional part of youth hockey to play outside in some capacity that it's historically cool. Last year's Pitt/Buffalo game was a good one too. Of all the marketing ploys the NHL is using, this is one of the ones I appreciate. Certainly more than the anti-defense rule changes.

mechanic
January 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I like the winter classic alot!
Something confused me about this one though.
I thought Huet played for Chicago, not Detroit?

marnold
January 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I keep hearing rumblings that the Wings are trying to host one (obviously wouldn't be for a couple of years) and play it at The Big House in Ann Arbor. Can you imagine Detroit vs. Toronto there? I get all tingly just thinking about it.

Algonquin
January 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Can you imagine Detroit vs. Toronto there? I get all tingly just thinking about it.
You and me both :AOK: