PDA

View Full Version : The Rose Bowl

R_of_G
January 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
I know there are some Pac 10 and Big 10 fans around here (certainly Marnold, Strum and SV Steve). This promises to be an interesting Rose Bowl if Penn State can keep up. Unlike the BCS, I judge teams by more than their schedule and so-called level of competition.

Florida and Oklahoma can play for whatever they want to call it, USC and Texas are the two best teams I've seen all season.

just strum
January 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
I didn't catch any Texas games this year (that may change Monday), but I did see a few USC (one that I wish I hadn't). USC is just so damn quick that I don't see Penn State having a chance.

R_of_G
January 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM
They're gonna have to do it with defense bc if USC scores more than once, it could be over. That defense is exactly what I love about college football.

And enjoy Texas. Ohio St. will more than have their hands full on both sides of the ball.

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
R_of_G, I am a Pac-10 fan, but definitely not a USC fan. USC pretty much ruined Fleetwood Mac for me. ;) But it looks like a good game, and I do love the Rose Bowl. Game on!

R_of_G
January 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
I figured a UW fan would want to get a good look at Steve Sarkisian as asst. head coach and QB coach for the Trojans as he is your new head coach for next season.

R_of_G
January 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
I enjoyed that game a lot. Penn State, to it's credit, put up a decent fight when they were overmatched in a lot of areas. They looked like a team that only lost once. I don't think a loss to Iowa showed anything other than how good Iowa was. Iowa looked pretty damn good here in Tampa yesterday at the Outback Bowl (formerly known as the Hall of Fame Bowl) where they trashed Steve Spurriers South Carolina 31-10.

This year would have been a great year for a playoff system because there are a lot of arguments for who is really the "best" team right now. Iowa looked pre

Steve, I think you should be pleased with what you saw from the USC offense. Steve Sarkisian looks promising for UW. I'm always in favor of better competition in the Pac 10. The better the conference is, the better the BCS chances of it's champion to play in a championship game.

All in all, I have always been a fan of the Rose Bowl and followed both PAC10 and Big10 football. This was a good Rose Bowl. Looking fwd to the thoughts you guys may have on the upcoming NFL draft. There is a lot of potential talent in this class.

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I only caught a little, as I had kid responsibilities yesterday, but what I saw was fun. I really hope, and it looks, like this guy can help the Dawgs out. I don't have to see a return of the national title contention days of the '90's, but UW should at least be a contender, and be able to get back into the Rose Bowl once in a while. I have been a Rose Bowl fan since 1978 and the UW/Michigan game that year. I also favor those two conferences. We listened to the game on the radio on the way back from skiing.

just strum
January 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I caught most of the second half, thought it was pretty much over with when I first tuned in, but Penn gave it a hell of a try.

marnold
January 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I got so caught up in the glow of the Winter Classic I forgot that it was on until there was only a minute left. Plus yesterday I was feeling like death warmed over.

birv2
January 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
As a Nittany Lions fan, I have to say it turned out pretty much the way I expected. The truth is that the PAC-10 as a whole is faster and stronger than the Big 10, and it showed.

The Nits had a good year all in all. But they're just not in the same league talent-wise as USC.

And I do think it's time for a playoff. JoePa has been calling for one since the 60's.

Bob

marnold
January 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
As a Nittany Lions fan, I have to say it turned out pretty much the way I expected. The truth is that the PAC-10 as a whole is faster and stronger than the Big 10, and it showed.
No, USC is faster and stronger than the Big 10. There's a massive drop-off in the Pac-10 after USC.

R_of_G
January 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Marnold is right. It's why they've been to 4 straight and won 3 straight Rose Bowls. I'm hoping the PAC10 strengthens up a bit. The PAC10 needs to have more teams that can challenge USC and also teams that show well in their Bowl games. The more PAC10 teams that win bowl games, the better the conference looks overall.

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Yep, like I said, UW used to fill that role, and for a few years in the '90s was on top of USC. UW needs to climb back up into a contender role at least.

Bloozcat
January 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm not the least bit surprised at how this game turned out. Penn State was the best team from a conference that's 1 for 5 in bowl games this year, with one to go tonight...which I believe will leave the Big Ten with a 1 for 6 record.

Interestingly, it was Iowa who beat Penn State that has the lone Big Ten win. South Carolina helped them out quite a bit with their total ineptness in that game, but Iowa did look pretty good in their own right.