PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions

tunghaichuan
January 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
This year I've made resolutions to:

1. Curb my GAS. I've been spending way too much on gear. I've got more than I'll ever need, and can build a lot of stuff I don't have.

2. Develop a practice schedule and stick to it. Despite having "played" for over 20 years, I'm not that good, but I'd like to get better.

So I want to solicit advice from my fellow Fretters on how to develop and stick to a practice schedule. Namely, how to practice, what to practice, how long to practice, etc.

I plan on ordering Mark Wein's book as it looks like a good resource and is spoken of highly here. I'm hoping it will kickstart some improvement in my skills.

But I need help with the mechanics of actual practicing.

I guess my biggest hurdle to overcome is that I'm borderline ADD. It is hard for me to focus on any one thing for long periods of time. And I have a hard time doing anything consistently, which has been a big hindrance to me.

I want 2009 to be the year that I actually improve my playing skills.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

tung

Robert
January 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
My suggestion - take a few lesson from a good guitar teacher. What you learn from that will keep you busy practicing for a long time, and you'll improve lots.

Blaze
January 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I took some students over the years , but did nt enjoy it that much but one thing that motivated them for sure was to work on a tune or more they realy loved ,
i can assure you that they enjoyed practicing and they worked harder to get it ..
Simple but efficient

tot_Ou_tard
January 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
I never make New Year's resolutions. When the time is right to do something I know it & then do it & stick with it.

I find resolutions artificial, but that's just me.

Algonquin
January 2nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I never make New Year's resolutions. When the time is right to do something I know it & then do it & stick with it.

I find resolutions artificial, but that's just me.
I don't really do resolutions either, but I do like to set goals for myself. So this year I'll set a goal to write and record a song from start to finish. I've got too many bits and pieces floating around, and I never get around to completing a full piece of work. Drums will have to be canned, and lyrics are a bit too much of a stretch for me right now, so an instrumental will have to do.

Wish me luck :rolleyes:

luvmyshiner
January 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
This year I'm resolving to give up skydiving, broken bones, and hangovers.:beer:

I'm not giving up drinking mind you . . . just the hangovers.:nono:

tot_Ou_tard
January 2nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Wish me luck :rolleyes:
Luck! :AOK:

Spudman
January 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
So I want to solicit advice from my fellow Fretters on how to develop and stick to a practice schedule. Namely, how to practice, what to practice, how long to practice, etc.

tung

I was just reading a piece on athletic training in Outside magazine and it pretty much sums up what it takes to stay motivated. Robert has a good idea with a teacher. Mainly you need to find someone that will keep you motivated. Someone to play with is good whether they are a teacher or not. It seems that it's difficult to self motivate unless you have a specific goal as well.

So if you have to go solo set a goal. Maybe that could be to hit open mics 2 times per month or start a band.

If you can find a teacher or partner to play with then use them for motivation.

Lev
January 3rd, 2009, 06:03 AM
1. I'm having a GAS free year, I have more than enough gear right now and as much as I'd love a 335 I need to curb my spending on guitars and associated equipment.
2. Get out and play some gigs, I just joined a band so hopefully 2009 will see Lev playing out sometime.

jpfeifer
January 3rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Life has been crazy busy for me the past several years. Lately, I've really missed a few things in life that keep me feeling balanced such as:
- writing and recording tunes in my home studio
- learning some new styles, licks, or tunes

Things seem to be so hectic that I only have time to catch up with my family on the weekends then it's back to the frantic pace during the week.

My New Years resolution is to find a way to do the following:
- spend more time actually playing guitar than reading about it on the internet :-)
- write and record more of my own tunes (my goal is one per month)
- spend less time in airports
- continue exercising

Happy New Year everyone!

-- Jim

sumitomo
January 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Let's see I stopped drinkin' about 5yrs ago,stopped smokin about 2yrs ago,now Im gunna stop snortin kitty litter.Well Im not going to give up laughing and joking and I want to learn to record so I can post some clips,Well gotta go Lawrence Welk is on got to dance around the house so the wife can shake her head and laugh.Sumi:D