PDA

View Full Version : Tube change for Peavey Classic/Delta Blues

TS808
January 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I picked up a used Delta Blues 210 a few months back that was in excellent condition and even has the tube tamer installed.

The amp still has the original sovtek el84 tubes in it. I'm thinking of changing them out, and have read in several forums (including Peavey's) that the amp is fixed bias, and basically, you just pop out the old tubes and put in the new, and that there is no adjustment pot. In other words, the amp does NOT need biased??

Is that correct? No biasing necessary for all the Classic Series amps?

tunghaichuan
January 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
From what I understand, the Delta Blues is similar to a Classic 30 (http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/peavey/c30schem.gif). If so, the DB is a non-adjustable fixed bias amp. That means there is no adjustable bias pot in the amp. It is usually cathode bias amps that are thought of as self biasing and need no adjustment.

Ideally, you should have a fixed bias amp rebiased every time you change the tubes. This involves changing out a resistor in the bias supply to set the negative voltage to its optimal level. Any competent tech should be able to do this. You also could have him/her install an adjustable bias pot in the amp to make future biasing easier.

Having said that, you might try just swapping out the old tubes for the new ones. As long as the tube plates don't glow red, you're okay.

I really like the JJ EL84 tubes from Eurotubes (http://www.eurotubes.com/). You may even want to email Bob and ask him what he'd recommend for tubes for your amp based on your tonal preferences and playing style.

tung

I picked up a used Delta Blues 210 a few months back that was in excellent condition and even has the tube tamer installed.

The amp still has the original sovtek el84 tubes in it. I'm thinking of changing them out, and have read in several forums (including Peavey's) that the amp is fixed bias, and basically, you just pop out the old tubes and put in the new, and that there is no adjustment pot. In other words, the amp does NOT need biased??

Is that correct? No biasing necessary for all the Classic Series amps?

TS808
January 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Tung
Thanks for the feedback on this. I've seen about having the resistor changed, but it seems the majority of folks on the Peavey forum don't do that...they just swap tubes.

markb
January 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
From what I understand, the Delta Blues is similar to a Classic 30 (http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/peavey/c30schem.gif). I

Tung, the Delta blues is a Classic 30 with a fairly good tremolo and either 1x15" or 2x10" speakers. I had the 2x10 version. A really nice amp but too loud for the band I was in at the time. Thank Fender for the Blues Junior :)

And you're right , it's a fixed resistor bias circuit just like old Fenders. Get it done every time time you fit new tubes if you want the amp to perform at its best. OTOH Eurotubes should be able to supply tubes that will be in the right range for the amp's factory settings.

Andy
January 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Same with the 5150 combo , fixed bias . I can simply get tubes that work best with the factory setting (they are all set pretty much the same,cold) and not really have to worry about bias too much.

Annother interesting feature with some peaveys(like the 5150), is when you plug in a cab the amp circuit automaticly adjusts to the change in ohms from 16 to 8. :AOK:

duhvoodooman
January 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I really like the JJ EL84 tubes from Eurotubes (http://www.eurotubes.com/). You may even want to email Bob and ask him what he'd recommend for tubes for your amp based on your tonal preferences and playing style.
+1. I had a Delta Blues for a while and bought a full retube set from Eurotubes. Sounded great; very satisfied with them and their customer service is unsurpassed.

TS808
January 4th, 2009, 07:40 PM
+1. I had a Delta Blues for a while and bought a full retube set from Eurotubes. Sounded great; very satisfied with them and their customer service is unsurpassed.

I did this today...got online to Eurotubes and saw that they offered full retube kits for the delta blues....the price was excellent too which really was a plus.

Algonquin
January 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Just curious what Peavey 30/50 Delta Blues owners have opted for when retubing through Eurotubes. I personally would like to have more clean headroom in the amp, and would likely specify this in the order if it could be achieved.

What have you Folks gone for in the past when ordering? :munch:

Radioboy950
January 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I did this today...got online to Eurotubes and saw that they offered full retube kits for the delta blues....the price was excellent too which really was a plus.

You went to a great place for customer service and product. It's been my experience that JJ tubes have great tone and hold up quite well to the punishment of combo amps. My 55W 1X12 combo is running Bob's JJ 6L6s, and they are rock solid.:AOK:

TS808
January 5th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Just curious what Peavey 30/50 Delta Blues owners have opted for when retubing through Eurotubes. I personally would like to have more clean headroom in the amp, and would likely specify this in the order if it could be achieved.

What have you Folks gone for in the past when ordering? :munch:

When i was checking out the Eurotubes site, they seemed to have about 3-4 different options for the Peavey amps....some tube sets with early breakup, and others for more headroom...they are complete retubes of preamp and power amp tubes.

TS808
January 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM
You went to a great place for customer service and product. It's been my experience that JJ tubes have great tone and hold up quite well to the punishment of combo amps. My 55W 1X12 combo is running Bob's JJ 6L6s, and they are rock solid.:AOK:

I got a set of JJ's for the Delta Blues yesterday in the mail and put them in the amp last night....no biasing necessary as their sets are picked for the Delta Blues according to Jay at Eurotubes. There is quite a difference...better highs and harmonics, nice rich mids and a tight bass.

Their service is excellent...they answered emails immediately when asked about the biasing etc.

Spudman
January 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
That's cool. :AOK: You should be happy until the rattling starts.

TS808
January 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
That's cool. :AOK: You should be happy until the rattling starts.

LOL...when I bought the amp, it came with the tubetamer on it....I bought the amp used and it already had it on there.

Spudman
January 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
LOL...when I bought the amp, it came with the tubetamer on it....I bought the amp used and it already had it on there.

Oooooo I envy you.

Algonquin
January 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM
That's cool. :AOK: You should be happy until the rattling starts.:reallymad: Evil I say!... Evil!............................................. .................... :D

So TS808, which of the retube options did you choose?
Standard, Blues, Normal / High Gain, Rock / High Gain, Low gain, Gold?
:munch:

Algonquin
January 26th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Well I re-tubed my Classic 30 last Tuesday with a full set from Eurotubes. As many have already mentioned here in previous threads... a decent shop to deal with. I've had previous email correspondence with them over a year ago when I was looking into a amp I thought might need new tubes, and just a short while ago when my power tubes started to rattle on me. I love the little PV30, but I always felt it lacking in clean headroom (just my opinion), so when it came time to get new tubes... I went with their 'Low Gain' tube option.

The tubes have really opened up the amp for me in a good way! It's hard to compare since the old tubes were old and abused, but I get a lot more clean signal with this setup. The OD channel has taken a hit in favour of the clean channel, but I can live with that, as I have a few good pedals that can make up for this. At first I thought I lost overall volume, but I believe the amp just runs great and clean at the 5 setting. I'm hoping these tubes last a good while, as shipping to the Great White North is not cheap these days... Husky Chow must be at an all time high! :D

Anywhoooo... I'm running both the PV30 and JC120 simultaneously, and I'm getting a nice full sound that I'm happy with.

TS808
January 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
It does make quite a difference. I'm not sure how old the tubes were that were in my Delta Blues when I got it, but a re-tube definitely did bring the amp to life a bit. I just went with the normal tube option in my Delta Blues.

The Classic series amps in my opinion are some of the best mass-produced amps out there. I've seen people knock Peavey, but they did a good job with the Classic series. Those amps are workhorses for sure.