PDA

View Full Version : Give Me - how is my solo?

Robert
January 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
My friend Mattias in Sweden sent me a song he recorded.

http://www.box.net/shared/i7qhmnmeb2

He's a great keyboard player and wanted me to add a solo to the song. He sings too, and I think he did a fine job considering he's never really done lead vocals before. Here's my attempt for a lead. I found it difficult to play a solo over this tune. I'm not sure what I think of it, so please be brutally honest about this solo!

Blaze
January 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Cool Rob ,you did a nice job ,just like you said hard tune to solo in ,i 'd like a more nasty sound ..
I think it would enhance your solo if you guys had put some other guitar rifs in the tune ,it s like the guitar is comin from nowhere ..
Anyway your solo is right on but the tune a bit long..

Blazes

Spudman
January 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
You nailed it. :AOK:
One thing that could be done is to bring it down and not up just before the vocals come back in just because you end high and energetic and the vocals come back in pretty low with less energy.

Are you comping during the outro? More comping could be done during the rest of the song maybe.

FWIW - I like Help the Poor.;)

Robert
January 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
No comping at all - I just recorded the solo, that's it. Help The Poor? Refresh my memory, Spud? Not sure what you mean.

Andy
January 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Robert I really(really !) like the solo , the tone is very good and the playing fits really well:AOK: aside from your solo..well... I don't care for the vocals..

If I were to critique anything about the solo , I felt like you briefly lost momentum just a moment coming near the end of it,,, but you regained your composure rather quickly. sign of a pro.

overall for your solo in this song...9 /10.

hows that?...lol take it with a grain of salt

Blaze
January 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
. Help The Poor? Refresh my memory, Spud? Not sure what you mean.

There s few more songs that are playin after your friend song , i think that s what Spud meant..

Steve206
January 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Robert,

I agree that the best part of the tune is your guitar. Brought a fluid feel that bound that part of the tune together. Musical.

Steve

Spudman
January 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
No comping at all - I just recorded the solo, that's it. Help The Poor? Refresh my memory, Spud? Not sure what you mean.

Second song after the one posted below on your box account.

Robert
January 3rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys! Second song after the one posted? Huh? I don't see any other songs after the one I posted? :confused:

Oh, ok, now I see - they automatically start playing.

Spudman
January 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys! Second song after the one posted? Huh? I don't see any other songs after the one I posted? :confused:

Oh, ok, now I see - they automatically start playing.

Ya, Robertoradio. :)

street music
January 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I would've like to have more guitar in the song and less keyboard. Rob you did your part very well.

Robert
January 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks - the reason there is not more guitar is because my friend is a keyboard player and he wrote and recorded the whole thing by himself. When he was almost finished, he realized a guitar solo would be nice so he contacted me. If I had been involved in recording it earlier on, there would probably be more guitar and less keyboard.

mrmudcat
January 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Robert the solo is all that worked for me with this song, and the............. wait for the solo..........took way to long to get to;)

oldguy
January 4th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I liked the song itself, the vocals not so much, but OK.
You did a great job on the solo, smooth on the key changes, and tasty licks throughout! Good one Robert.:beer:

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I like the solo a lot!

Jimi75
January 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Excellent work Robert. First of all I felt like shifted back to the 80's! Is that the keyboarder you played with in your Swedish band?

The sound of the solo fit the song and the sound on its own is very good. I really like that you try to pick as much as possible. Not an easy progression to play over.

:bravo:

Did you use the RC Booster on that one?

F_BSurfer
January 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Real nice Robert fit really good with the song

Robert
January 6th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks, yes it's one of the keyboard players I played with in Sweden. I didn't use the RC Booster, it's just the Suhr and the Toneport. :)