PDA

View Full Version : Warren

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 08:50 AM
No, not that Warren.

I'm talking about this Warren. We've posted clips before, but this guy deserves several encores.

7uV9xIzzcHg&feature=related

7eUsSXXc8wU&feature=related

PwXMkfeH95k

RVuXq0dyb90&feature=related

sunvalleylaw
January 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
NIce collection of clips. A group of us were fans in law school. His wry sarcasm somehow fit the mood. I miss having him around. Thanks for posting!

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
NIce collection of clips. A group of us were fans in law school. His wry sarcasm somehow fit the mood. I miss having him around. Thanks for posting!

I knew you would like this and most likely be the first to respond. Another writer with the same wry sarcasm is Randy Newman

PGO42gvCSPI

chaP4MCXp4w&feature=related

TMAmCNRwyw4&feature=related

evenkeel
January 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Great stuff. Both very witty writers but can also tug your heart strings pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Eb3FiebTs

Thanks for posting

R.B. Huckleberry
January 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Warren Zevon has been a favorite of mine since 1980...when I was 10. I was a weird 10 year old.

Kazz
January 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Both Warren Zevon and Randy Newman are very high on my list of favorites of all time.

Geraint Jones
January 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Warren Zevon was indeed an extremely talented guy , he`ll be much missed . On another sad note I found out Davey Graham had passed away a few weeks back, another pioneer of the music scene gone.

Steve206
January 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Strum,,

Are you familiar with Randy's tune, "Let's burn down the cornfield"? Ry Cooder did the slide guitar.

Also a large fan of both Randy and Warren's.

Steve

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Strum,,

Are you familiar with Randy's tune, "Let's burn down the cornfield"? Ry Cooder did the slide guitar.

Also a large fan of both Randy and Warren's.

Steve

No, but if you hum a few bars...

I tried looking it up on youtube, but came up with this rendition by Alex Taylor.

fTAVU8Jkg8M

This year is also the 50th Anniversery that the Cuyohoga River caught on fire - http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/03/cuyahoga-river-fire-of-1969.html

Randy wrote a song about that too, but no youtube. However, here are the lyrics.

Artist: Randy Newman
Album: Sail Away

There's a red moon rising
On the Cuyahoga River
Rolling into Cleveland to the lake

There's a red moon rising
ON the Cuyahoga River

There's an oil barge winding
Down the Cuyahoga River

There's an oil barge winding
Down the Cuyahoga River

Cleveland city of light city of magic
Cleveland city of light you're calling me
Cleveland, even now I can remember
'Cause the Cuyahoga River
Goes smokin' through my dreams

Burn on, big river, burn on
Now the Lord can make you tumble
And the Lord can make you turn
And the Lord can make you overflow
But the Lord can't make you burn

Steve206
January 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.box.net/shared/t4nq9o8rbf

Hey Strum,,

Here is Randy's original. Off of the album, 12 songs. Could have been his first one. Not sure. I stayed committed until Faust. Although I admit I have not heard that one. Almost bought the "Nillson does Newman" album, but somehow held back.

Enjoy,,

Steve

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.box.net/shared/t4nq9o8rbf

Hey Strum,,

Here is Randy's original. Off of the album, 12 songs. Could have been his first one. Not sure. I stayed committed until Faust. Although I admit I have not heard that one. Almost bought the "Nillson does Newman" album, but somehow held back.

Enjoy,,

Steve

I like it, I like it a lot.

sunvalleylaw
January 4th, 2009, 11:30 PM
WhRRWwH3Fro

This song is a favorite. My nickname (my last name is Thompson) was Stevie the Headless Thompson Gunner back in law school. This particular performance is from his last appearance on Letterman.

EDIT: I just found this much earlier performance also on Letterman.
If you want to skip the Letterman banter, you need to scroll through to about 3:00.
zhSFienNhW8

I wanted to find a clip of "Nobody is in love this Year" from Transverse City, that you no longer can get in the US, but no go. Very wistful song, and one of Warren Zevon's more straight up and painfully honest efforts. Listen to Transverse City if you get a chance.

just strum
January 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Steve,

Nice selections. There are some great clips of Warren on Letterman, the combination of the humor and the music were great.