PDA

View Full Version : Which Stratocaster pickup setup do you prefer?

tremoloman
June 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Which Stratocaster pickup setup do you prefer?

Katastrophe
June 29th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Up until a few weeks ago, I woulda said HSS... I dunno, a Strat just looks as it should with the SSS setup.

Robert
June 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM
A strat isn't a strat if it's got humbuckers!

tremoloman
June 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah I know... but I cheated with Marilyn and used mini-humbuckers so it can still be called a S/S/S when in reality its a H/H/H. The minis are a great hybrid between a single and HB. Very versatile!

Nelskie
June 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
S/S/S - the original . . . and best! Really, for a Strat, it's the only way to fly! ;)

Bloozcat
July 5th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I'm fortunate to have other guitars with humbuckers, so my Strats can all be s/s/s as I feel they should be. About the only other configuration I could see for a Strat would be two or three P-90's. That might be fun, but it wouldn't be a Strat in the true sense.

Tim
July 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I to put a mini humbucker in the neck position on my Start.

Iago
July 7th, 2006, 11:01 PM
to me.. strats are s/s/s.
teles are at least the bridge single...thats where the "soul" of the tele is.
LP`s are Humbuckers (or p-90s like the 56 goldtop case)

SuperSwede
July 8th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Risk of going off topic here, but I love the LP deluxe with mini humbuckers.

Riley
July 24th, 2006, 05:23 AM
All single coils are the way to go if you want that classic strat sound all around!

-Peace
-Nate

marnold
July 24th, 2006, 07:49 AM
My Strat is H. Just H. What it lacks in tonal variety it makes up in violence.

Plank_Spanker
October 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I couldn't make up my mind, so I have Strats in SSS, HSS, and HH. :)

Justaguyin_nc
October 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM
s/s/s... is what a strat is all about...

Plank_Spanker
October 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Just to add fuel to the fire..........................:D

I've taken some heat on gigs for playing my Double Fat - "Dude, it's not a real Strat. It needs three singles". It makes me laugh.

I guess that one could further that argument with other guitars, say a P90 equipped SG - "Dude, it's not a real SG. It needs humbuckers".

Pickups don't make the guitar.............................

Pickups are just accessories.

Iago
October 13th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Les Pauls and SG`s go along well with both HUmbuckers and P-90s without losing the "classic" characteristics. Both guitars were available with either humbs or P-90s back then. Don`t forget that the P-90s were the original pus for the Les Pauls.

Cranium
October 13th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I agree with Plank, guitars are all diffrent and pickups are not the most important parts in guitars, but I also agree that a traditional strat should be in s/s/s configuration, thats how it was created and thats how it should be, unless your a modern kind of guy who likes death metal.

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Spanker, a friend of mine had the big apple strat and lemme tell you that the Stevie Ray tones were flowing out of that guitar. I wouldnt mind a double fat strat myself..

tot_Ou_tard
October 14th, 2006, 04:59 AM
I'm fortunate to have other guitars with humbuckers, so my Strats can all be s/s/s as I feel they should be. About the only other configuration I could see for a Strat would be two or three P-90's. That might be fun, but it wouldn't be a Strat in the true sense.
I've got an HSS (not a strat, but similar) & wondered about putting a Duncan Phat Cat in the bridge.

My Strat is H. Just H. What it lacks in tonal variety it makes up in violence.
You should put a flame thrower in at the neck. Oh, & a 3-way switch.

zeusse
October 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I like the original s/s/s setup the only thing I did was put a gold lace sensor on the neck position and a red lace sensor on the bridge and left the original in the middle best of three worlds the way I see it for me anyways

Big_Rob
December 22nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Single Single Single, all the way.

snarph
December 22nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
single single single but that leaves a lot a room for variation

and you can spend more money fill up a strat with every thing from hoitsy toitsy boutique pups to those ever so rare and eclectic wonders found only in the dark corners and nooks and cranny's of only the most seemly pawn shops :)

BJunior
December 23rd, 2006, 09:10 AM
S/S/S is a must for all Strat Lovers, but hey, if you can afford more than one.. mix it up...

But I think you need to at least have one with s/s/s then start adding s/s/h etc..

I think the greatness of the strat is it's versatility... Do what you want with it...

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
S/S/S is a must for all Strat Lovers, but hey, if you can afford more than one.. mix it up...

But I think you need to at least have one with s/s/s then start adding s/s/h etc..

I think the greatness of the strat is it's versatility... Do what you want with it...

When I first shopped for a guitar, I had picked a H/S/S as a target. Then I researched some more and decided to start with a tradtional strat, (so I voted S/S/S above) then add a different sounding guitar later. Probably sometime in the next year I will try to. I am thinking of the following in order: 1. Squire '51 that I can mod as I see fit as I get to know it, 2. H/S/S Overstock Squire of some kind. Really torn between the two. 3. A horse of a completely different color would be an LP or SG knockoff. I would like to stay more with a strat type of shape, however, so it is easier for my son to use. An LP or Tele (unless it was a modded contoured one) seems to big and clunky for him.

Jimi75
December 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
If you want a classic and warm humbucker sound get a Les Paul.
That's the reason why I bough a Les instead of frankensteining my strat.

I changed from 57/62 vintage pu's to Texas Special pu's. These give me the sound I have ever wanted my Strat to sound like.

Big_Rob
December 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
If you want a classic and warm humbucker sound get a Les Paul.
That's the reason why I bough a Les instead of frankensteining my strat.

Co-signed, I bought my SSS Strat for that bright Strat sound, not the humbucking sound.