PDA

View Full Version : Joni when she was 23

Robert
January 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM
From a Canadian TV show. Man, I wish I had an ounce of her talent. Even at such a young age, she sounds so mature and experienced. :master: Great song.

KCLOMBbRVB0

Steve206
January 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Robert,,

I remember her first album here in the states. At least the first album I was aware of. On the liner notes was a credit to David Crosby for the tuninings used. Another notch in the handle for open tunings,,,,

Steve

t_ross33
January 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Joni not only explored open tunings, but made up many of her own. I have no idea how she could remember what to play and when :thwap:

oldguy
January 5th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I think I read once where she said she often just tuned the strings till it "sounded right" for the song she was writing............must've worked out well for her.

Jipes
January 5th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Joni not only explored open tunings, but made up many of her own. I have no idea how she could remember what to play and when :thwap:

I had the same suprise with Ani Difranco and Chris Whitley. As I'm using now lots of differents tunings I have to record video of the songs in order to remember the fingerings :rotflmao:

Ry Cooder says once in an interview that his guitar tech was the only one who could tell him in which song to use certain guitars as for the different open tunings :D

evenkeel
January 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Great post. Beautiful voice and very inventive guitar player.

Joni used dozens of different tunings and has a interesting system of classifying them. She uses numbers rather than notes. Standard tuning which she rarely used is called E55545. Note of the bass string and the reference frets to tune.